Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/16/2004 5:13:08 PM EDT
Anyone know of good places to shoot in the Oakland and Macomb county areas with ranges that allow rifles with more than 1 rd in a mag?

Also if the entry/shooting fee is under $10, that'd also be great. I'm looking for an indoor or outdoor range that has at least a 25yd line and allows rifle ammo (non AP or tracer of course).

I've been shooting at Bald Mountain and they treat me (with my Vepr and AR) like I'm the evil semi-auto rifle guy, meanwhile the bolt action hunters with their big caliber rifles and blackpowder garbage are the majority there. It's $5 to shoot but its single load only. Outdoor with 25, 50, and 100yd lines.

If you know of a range that offers 200yd to 600yd in this area (within a 1-1.5 hour drive of course), please let me know. I've scoped out the DNR range lists and they're not very helpful for what I need to know/find out.

There's a Detroit Sportsmans Congress but they want 20 hours of volunteer work a year plus like $200 membership fee.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 5:20:29 PM EDT
[#1]
There is a private range in Taylor, its an indoor range. They have two rifle lanes, they allow 'controlled rapid fire', they are nice too! AR and AK welcome. Downside is, they only have two rifle lanes, its $14.50 an hour, less for a 1/2 hour, and its only 25 yds. On a cold wet day its a great place to warm up a barrel though. They are called Top Gun, they are at the intersection of Pardee and Racho. If you do a Yahoo search you can find their website. P.S. No, I don't work there. hug.gif
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 7:06:46 PM EDT
[#2]
here try this place http://pw2.netcom.com/~jtmaurer/washrfl.htm  I used to shoot here but not anymore. You will be hard pressed to find a range farther than 100 yards close by. this is where I shoo but it is 2.5 hours away

1000 yard range in Indiana you can load a 100 round c-mag and they wont say anything it cost 300 a year to join and thats it. Its open 365 days a year. It kind of makes 100 yard shooting very boring. 600 yards now is like shooting 100.

Rich  
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 7:40:00 PM EDT
[#3]
The DNR range at the pontiac lake recreation area will let you load 6 rounds at a time. There is still no rapid fire, and it's only 100yds, but it only cost $3. They have a self through skeet range and a archery range(at lest the last time I was there), it's pretty clean and well run.

You still sometimes get the "Evil Black Rifle" looks, but it's fun to outshoot the bolt guys with My "Evil" guns!

Tall Shadow
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 3:24:53 AM EDT
[#4]
island lake range off 96 & kent lake is set up just like bald mountain except they allow 6rounds in the mag. still slow fire tho. $4 all day, 25, 50, 100 bring your own targets / staple gun.

'the pit' (state land) in lapeer is just over 100yds. dump your highest-cap mags as fast as you want.
no charge! many things get left behind, but bring your own targets just in case....
M24 N to Daley E to Roods Lake N
after Roods Lake turns to gravel you'll find the pit on the E side of the street atop the second little hill.
click the map for the HUGE version

please consider the local residents and the precarious state of our gun rights!!
be safe!
see you out there
LEGAL? YOU BET
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 3:57:44 AM EDT
[#5]
It looks like the Pit is about 1 mile from Lapeer Dragway. I could have *sworn* I heard a .50 go off when I was drag racing at Lapeer earlier this year.

Is the Pit open year round? Any admission charges? I always bring my own targets and staple gun anyhow. Is this bench shooting, offhand, or prone shooting?

Where is the Pit on the map? Is it right at the intersection of Rood Lake and Byers? I'm trying to find it via satellite just to see what it looks like. I saw Bald Mountain from a top and you can clearly see the 25, 50, and 100yd lines but it looks like a big "Baseball" field on the west side of the rood lake as it goes into the forest/wooded area. Nothing on the East side.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 4:10:12 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
here try this place http://pw2.netcom.com/~jtmaurer/washrfl.htm  I used to shoot here but not anymore. You will be hard pressed to find a range farther than 100 yards close by. this is where I shoo but it is 2.5 hours away

www.fototime.com/748747291894372/orig.jpg

www.fototime.com/77A159E2924C298/orig.jpg

www.fototime.com/0A51FB30942C426/orig.jpg

1000 yard range in Indiana you can load a 100 round c-mag and they wont say anything it cost 300 a year to join and thats it. Its open 365 days a year. It kind of makes 100 yard shooting very boring. 600 yards now is like shooting 100.

Rich  

Is that in Lagrange?
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 5:07:49 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
It looks like the Pit is about 1 mile from Lapeer Dragway. I could have *sworn* I heard a .50 go off when I was drag racing at Lapeer earlier this year.

probably! especially labor/memorial day weekends when the clean-ups occur.
lots of big & FA stuff then

Quoted:
Is the Pit open year round? Any admission charges? I always bring my own targets and staple gun anyhow. Is this bench shooting, offhand, or prone shooting?

year round except 10-14NOV when there is a cease fire on state land. (small game shotgun and private land target shooting are still ok)
if you bring a bench or use a rock, there's bech shooting it's just land with a natural berm

Quoted:Where is the Pit on the map? Is it right at the intersection of Rood Lake and Byers? I'm trying to find it via satellite just to see what it looks like. I saw Bald Mountain from a top and you can clearly see the 25, 50, and 100yd lines but it looks like a big "Baseball" field on the west side of the rood lake as it goes into the forest/wooded area. Nothing on the East side.

tried finding satpix too but couldn't.  i never pay attention to the street signs but there's only one road crossing roods north of the pit before it waggles like that and byers must be it. i drove out that way once and it looks like there are a couple more smaller areas appropriate for target shooting too.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 5:44:21 AM EDT
[#8]

That was me at Lapeer Dragway... it was around early April '04

There was a sudden silence on the dragstrip and i heard "rap rap rap rap...." it sounded like an M2 (wasn't fast like a 7.62 MG).
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 7:31:25 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

probably! especially labor/memorial day weekends when the clean-ups occur.
lots of big & FA stuff then

Quoted:

year round except 10-14NOV when there is a cease fire on state land. (small game shotgun and private land target shooting are still ok)
if you bring a bench or use a rock, there's bech shooting it's just land with a natural berm
cnr-ffl.us/10pit23AUG04.jpg
cnr-ffl.us/pit6.jpg
cnr-ffl.us/pit1.jpg

Quoted:Where is the Pit on the map? Is it right at the intersection of Rood Lake and Byers? I'm trying to find it via satellite just to see what it looks like. I saw Bald Mountain from a top and you can clearly see the 25, 50, and 100yd lines but it looks like a big "Baseball" field on the west side of the rood lake as it goes into the forest/wooded area. Nothing on the East side.

tried finding satpix too but couldn't.  i never pay attention to the street signs but there's only one road crossing roods north of the pit before it waggles like that and byers must be it. i drove out that way once and it looks like there are a couple more smaller areas appropriate for target shooting too.

nice
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 1:36:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Here is the best place to shoot its near Port Huron.

www.bwsa.freeservers.com/
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:06:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Can I get some more info about this 1000 yd. range in IN?
Where exactly is it located at?
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:08:45 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Can I get some more info about this 1000 yd. range in IN?
Where exactly is it located at?

+1

Enquiring minds would like to know.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 8:20:22 AM EDT
[#13]
They even told me silhouette targets were illegal at Bald Mountain... and I used the M16A2 25m zero target sheet - not some silly Britney/Bin Laden/style target.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 8:55:02 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Rich  

i am also a member

1000 is easy, and 600 with irons on an ar is no big deal
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 9:59:35 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Rich  

i am also a member

1000 is easy, and 600 with irons on an ar is no big deal

Come on! Give it up...Where is it!

Link Posted: 10/22/2004 3:33:11 AM EDT
[#16]
I think that this range has something to do with the Flint Gun Shop over near Angola.
That is all I have been able to find out.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 1:53:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Never been to the pit.  When's the next trip?  

An aside:  Can you rapid fire in Huron Nat'l Forest?

Link Posted: 10/26/2004 12:20:21 PM EDT
[#18]
This 1000 yard range must be a really nice place, no one wants to tell us where it is, don't want a bunch of new slobs coming in and lousing the place up.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 2:33:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Anyone shoot at Camp Grayling? I thought it was a military only area.
Are the ranges accessible by military only?
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 3:10:37 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Anyone shoot at Camp Grayling? I thought it was a military only area.
Are the ranges accessible by military only?

I don't recall seeing any civies out there...but that was 5+ years ago so I could be mistaken.

Link Posted: 10/26/2004 3:13:47 PM EDT
[#21]
what credentials do I need?
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 4:24:16 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
what credentials do I need?

I was in the military when I was there...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top