Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/12/2004 10:08:36 PM EDT
I'm going out of state to vist a buddy mine in a few days and, one of his relatives has some pistols he'd like to get rid of.  Not sure what he has, but if a good deals arises that one can't pass up, I don't want to pass it up.  Is it legal for me to purchase a pistol from him out of state face to face, bring it home, and have it inspected? I know here in MI, you still need a form of some kind to do a private sale with your CPL, or pull a permit.  Is there anyway for me to buy it from him and bring it home, or do I need to ship it to an FFL and have it transfered?  If anyone has any idea on how this works with New York law, it would be much appreciated.  Thanks.

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:11:51 PM EDT
[#1]
No private sales of guns out of state, at all. Gotta have an FFL do a transfer. In your state. For a rifle you could have an FFL in either state do it, so long as it is shipped or given directly to the FFL, you can't take it to them.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:14:58 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
No private sales of guns out of state, at all. Gotta have an FFL do a transfer. In your state. For a rifle you could have an FFL in either state do it, so long as it is shipped or given directly to the FFL, you can't take it to them.

Damn, you're fast.  That is what I thought, but I was curious anyways.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 9:49:22 AM EDT
[#3]
The other way is to "don't ask, don't tell' and register it when you get it home.

disregard
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 10:31:23 AM EDT
[#4]
You can "pick it out" and pay the man.

But he then has to send it to an FFL in Michigan
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 4:58:42 PM EDT
[#5]
I would only add that the "Must ship to FFL" clause is not the case if you move here. If you move here from another state you can bring your guns with you and take the handguns to the PD and have them registered without going through an FFL.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top