Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/30/2004 4:13:08 PM EDT
I may be in Michigan for a few days between 10/10 and 10/30.  I'll be staying in Brighton.  what are the chances I'll be able to locate some ground to walk in hunt on within a reasonable distance?  Now for a better question, what are the odds I'll be able to get into birds?  Quail would be fun to get into also, but I don't know about the populations.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 9:31:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Hi,

From the DNR web page, the season for quail in Michigan is :
2004 Season & Bag Limits
Dates: October 20-November 14, 2004
Bag Limits: 5 per day, 10 possession

Quail can be hunted only in Branch, Calhoun, Clinton, Eaton, Genesee, Gratiot, Hillsdale, Huron, Ingham, Ionia, Jackson, Kent, Lapeer, Lenawee, Livingston, Macomb, Monroe, Montcalm, Oakland, Saginaw, St. Clair, St. Joseph, Sanilac, Shiawassee, Tuscola, Washtenaw and Wayne counties. All other counties are closed to quail hunting.

The wild population is not very high.  I don't think you would be able to find any quail, especially without a dog.  

I think your only option would be to set up a "hunt" with a game preserve.

Good luck...
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:23:38 AM EDT
[#2]
The other issue is finding land to hunt on...  The SE MI area has very little public land available.  What is available has been hunted quite a bit.  As a new comer to MI you won't find public land worth hunting in any quantities unless you go north of US 10.

Kent
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 10:04:43 PM EDT
[#3]
The cost of out of State hunting licenses are sickening.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top