Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/21/2003 10:51:49 AM EDT
Hi,
Anyone work at or live near enough to the Rouge Plant to tell me if there is any rural areas to live within say a thirty minute drive of there?
Kev.

And what about places to shoot?
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 1:24:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Although I try to avoid that area, I've been through it enough to be somewhat familiar. It's urban and very congested. I wouldn't live there but I'm a small town boy.

I would guess that most folks who work there live North or Southwest of the plant. The area to the West is solid metro for about 30 miles. Beyond that it opens up. Someone who lives there can give you a better rundown on the details.

If you're looking for a place where you can shoot off your back porch you won't find it within 30 minutes, an hour maybe, ninety minutes for sure, but not 30 minutes.

There are plenty of places to shoot within an hour of the plant. Some of them are first rate.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 2:07:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Delta,
I may be transfered there. I need an acre or two with a home if I end up there. I'm small town too. Hoping to find a decent houe with an acre or two within say 30-45 minutes drive of the plant.
Kev.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 4:33:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Let me know if it's definite. I work with a couple arm-chair realtors. I'll ask around.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 9:31:29 PM EDT
[#4]
If it happens I'll IM ya.
Thanks again,
Kev
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 3:09:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Northern part of Monroe County is about your best option. I live about 8 miles from the Rouge complex in Wyandotte.
That is also the best traffic pattern too. Coming into town from North or West in the AM is always jammed as that is where the bigger burbs are.
My Aunt is a Realtor in that area for many years. email if you want her info [email protected]
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 12:42:32 AM EDT
[#6]
postban, I'll look into Northern Monroe county on the net and checkout the area. Traffic would definitely be something to consider. Thanks for the help. If I end up there yall can show me around!
Kev
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 6:43:43 AM EDT
[#7]
You have my sympathies.

Where are you coming from?
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 8:43:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Stryfe, is it that bad? I was hoping not, but I'm starting to hear it's not to good anywhere near there and that the traffic from anywhere that is decent to there is horrible. I'm in North Central Ohio now. Semi country a little over two acres close to the hi-way 35 minutes fro my job, and traffic is not bad at all.
Kev
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 4:42:06 AM EDT
[#9]
I don't think you're going to like the Rouge Plant or the area.

edited to add:

If you do end up here we'll be glad to have you. There's always room for one more at the bar firing line!
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 9:25:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Thank you all for your help. I'll keep you posted.
Kev.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 12:09:46 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Stryfe, is it that bad? I was hoping not, but I'm starting to hear it's not to good anywhere near there and that the traffic from anywhere that is decent to there is horrible. I'm in North Central Ohio now. Semi country a little over two acres close to the hi-way 35 minutes fro my job, and traffic is not bad at all.
Kev

If you like miles and miles of grey landscape, it's great. You will miss your 2 acres. Traffic from my place isn't too bad, depending on the time of day, but I don't think it's possible to buy much more than a 50x100 lot, and you really need to have much money to find something larger.

Do you work for Ford? I assumed as much when you mentioned being transferred to the Rouge Plant. If that was so, I was wondering which plant you were being transfered from.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 11:19:04 PM EDT
[#12]
stryfe,
Yep, Ford. Sandusky, Ohio plant.
I hate big cities, hussle and bussle, and grey landscape! I've got 2.29 acres here with a huge overgrown pond behind me. Full of Frogs, turtles, snakes. Ducks and geese fly in and out. Heck in the spring the dang frogs are so loud you can hear them with the doors and windows closed. The neighbor on my right has two acres, and the neighbor on my left has four and a half. The pond goes accross the back of most of the three of us.
Kev
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 12:32:48 PM EDT
[#13]
On the bright side Ford has been giving the place a facelift, and you can choose between Broncos, and Mustangs for lunch.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 8:02:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Even though property values are rising in some of the area's aroung the rouge area, my bet would be to stay as far away as possible. If you want to live close, try the Livonia or Dearborn/ Dearborn Heights area. Forget about about 1 ac of land in the area. Closest you will be able to find that will be in the Canton area and the values are through the roof. Next would be the Van Buren area, and the schools suck so bad. Romulus has some good area's on the west side, but the milliage rates are sick. I think to work in the River Rouge area and to live in macomb county would be a traffic nightmare, the area's along I-75 near the plants can be crazy for traffic, all the time. I say central west Wayne county would be your best bet outside of Detroit, if you plan on owning a home. If you plan on renting, you have no resale issues to worry about so screw it.

Your closest rural area's in the River rouge area will be Monroe County ( browsntown is growing and similar areas ) or Canada.

BTW, Taylor sucks. Unless you have a mullet like your sister ;)
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 11:21:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Sounds like culture shock if I move there. Bummer.
Thanks,
Kev
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 12:38:09 PM EDT
[#16]

BTW, Taylor sucks. Unless you have a mullet like your sister ;)

Ford must still like him, or they would've sent him there instead.

Culture shock for sure. On the bright side, you only need one license plate in MI.

MI is still my favorite place to be. It's easier to deal with when you realize that Detroit doesn't really fit in with the rest of the State. Now, I just need to figure out how to move to the west side of the state.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 12:24:44 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Thanks Delta,
I may be transfered there. I need an acre or two with a home if I end up there. I'm small town too. Hoping to find a decent houe with an acre or two within say 30-45 minutes drive of the plant.
Kev.

Try the Monroe area, it's semi rural, and i can prob get you in the rifle and pistol club in a year or so, (waiting list)
i work in Dearborn and live in Monroe, and the drive isn't bad at all, especially considering the buffer zone that it gives me from the people that live in DMZTroit.  Used to be a nice city, then we gave it away in the 60s.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 10:17:04 PM EDT
[#18]
How far of a drive would
Monroe be?
Kev
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top