Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/19/2003 8:01:52 PM EDT
Greetings-

I have an SW5 and am considering purchasing a collapsible stock. Given overall weapon length legalities, would I then be required to register the weapon as a "pistol?" Since the barrel length would yet be 16" I wouldn't think this would be deemed a SBR. Or, would adding a collapsible stock somehow be in violation of 922(r)?

Thanks-

paddle3
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 8:11:51 PM EDT
[#1]
adding a collapsible stock would be a violation of the Assault weapons ban.  

And just for your future reference, the ATF's definition of a pistol is any weapon that can not be fired from the shoulder(ie, no stock). and for that matter, once a weapon is assembled in to a "rifle" (one that has a stock) it can not become a pistol. So, technically, you can have a 16" barreled pistol.

and if you do have a firearm that is registered as a pistol to add to the confusion, if you have a vertical foregrip on your forend, it may be considered to be an AOW(I'm not sure if this issue has been cleared up yet or not.) Oh yead, on a pistol, their can't be anything encircling the barrel that would act as a barrel shroud, which would make it in violation of the AWB, unless of course it is a pre-ban, then you need not worry about that part.

Alright, I think I'm done now. Confused? I know I am
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top