Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/20/2003 5:04:07 PM EDT
This may sound stupid but until I went into the army almost 20 years ago I never fired a weapon, other than bb guns.  So AR's & milatary the like is all I know.  I've never hunted except in Panama I killed a monkey with a mashetti after pissed on me in the jungle.  I killed  baboon in Saudi Arabi with a 45, I ran over a cow with Amoured Personel Carrier, & several rattle snakes different ways.  But other then the baboon in Saudi, and enemy soldiers, I've never hunted.  So did you guys get those deers with an AR in the .223 or 5.56, or was it a larger caliber?  I'm just curious because I plan on going next year, with my Bushmaster Varminter, I'm having a hard time deciding what kind of .223 to use for deer, I'd appreciated any advice I can get, failure is not an option.  Have a safe & happy Thanksgiving, Rangerdave
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 7:13:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I use a .243.  It seems to do the trick.  I personally know of only one person who uses a .223 for deer, and it is a bolt-gun.
64gr Powerpoints seem to be the best (or at least most common) bullet for deer that I have heard of.  And I would believe that it will do the job if the shooter is very careful and the range is under 100 yards.
I guess I like the additional range and slightly greater margin of error that a caliber larger than .223 gives you.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 3:28:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Michigan won't let you hunt with a 5.56mm. The calibre has to be larger.

You're also handicapping yourself. 5.56 doesn't have enough energy to drop a deer in its tracks unless you get a perfect shot. You could end up having to track the animal as it bleeds out or losing it altogether.

If you want to stay with an AR style rifle try the AR-10. It's 7.62mm and a capable deer slayer.

You probably already know that rifle hunting is only allowed in northern Michigan. It's shotguns and muzzle-loaders only in the southern part.

Good hunting!
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 6:20:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Delta,

I thought the same thing this morning when I first read this post.

I looked at the Mich. DNR web site and found this:

Question
 ---- 11/16/2001 04:22 PM ---------------------------------------------
You say it is unlawful to hunt deer with a .22 caliber rimfire, But what about the not so common .22 Hornet which is a .22 caliber center fire rifle?

Answer
 At 11/19/2001 12:33 PM we wrote -

Any CENTERFIRE firearm, regardless of caliber, is legal to use for deer hunting in Michigan. Please be reminded of the firearm restrictions in the "Shotgun Zone".

link to the above statement

The question was asked in 2001 and the anwser was updated 03/14/2003 02:57 PM.  so unless it has changed between March and now, it is legal to hunt deer with a .223.

If the info is incorrect, please, someone let me know.  I don't like to pass on wrong information and since I am not a hunter I don't keep up with these things.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 6:40:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Since when is there a caliber restriction in MI for deer hunting?  The only restriction I know of is the center fire cartridge only rule.  Well, that and the restrictions on rifle versus shotgun depending on locale.  
As for hunting with the .223, I am.  I feel much more confident with it than the 30-30's I used to hunt with.  It is much more accurate or at least I shoot it better.  Some one told me (no I don't have references) that you should have a min. of 1000ft/lbs to kill a deer.  If that is the case a .223 with a 60-70grainer at under 200 yrds should do the trick.  
Having said that I have yet to get a shot on one.  Hopefully I can let you all know soon.  I can't refute anyone who says it isn't a good idea...yet.  
My Bro-in-law got a nice 7pt this year with a 30.06.  Shot it right between the eyes and it dropped like a stone (ruined the rack and skull). Lucky shot, he was aiming at mid chest! We later discovered the scope mount was really loose.
As soon as the wife gives the green light I will have a .308(or 6.5mm or 243 decisions decisions...).  And that is what I'll do my hunting with.  Havent decided between bolt or AR variant yet though...but that's a whole new topic!
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 9:39:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Dave,
  I hunt in southern michigan. So I use a 12 Gauge with Winchester 2 3.4" 1oz foster type slugs. Muzzle Loaders and many Handguns are also legal to use in southern Michigan.

If you are going to use an AR to hunt with, the Winchester 64Gn Power Point, Black Hills 60Gn Soft Point, and Hornady 75GN BTHP are some of the better medium game rounds. Shot placement is going to be a hell of alot more important with your AR than my 12 Gauge. With an AR I would only attempt broadside shots that allowed unobstructed placement into the heart or BOTH lungs.  I would not expect any .223 load to fully penetrate both shoulders of a large buck. Or to have the penetration needed for a "Texas heart shot."

BTW: I'ts a common misconception that you cant hunt deer with the 5.56mm in Michigan. The DNR forbids the use of the 5mm Remington Rimfire, which is hardly ever seen.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 3:51:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Do you have access to a 7.62x39 upper?  The ballistics are very similar to a 30-30 and Winchester makes a quality hunting softpoint hunting round.  The commie supposed hunting  softpoints dont deform at all so stay away.  
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 2:11:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Yup, got my deer this year with my Ar-15, .50 Beuwulf, did the job good, maybe a little too good! Shot it in the neck on purpose to not ruin too much meat. Man, it almost took the head off! I have shot one deer with a 7.62x39, dropped him in his tracks. I've never shot one with the 5.56mm though.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 1:48:37 PM EDT
[#8]
If I ever get around around to hunting in Northern Michigan again I want to use my SAR-1 7.62X39 to hunt deer with. Th last couple of years its been mainly my 12 guage and my .357. hopefully a bow in the fall of 2004 if I dont go moose hunting.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 6:29:47 PM EDT
[#9]
I wouldn't chance it with a .223, regardless of weight.  Not a whitetail, but one of those little key deer in FLA, maybe.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top