Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2003 1:43:38 PM EDT
   I actually have a day off tomorrow and am " children-free " until early evening ......

Is this a place where I can just go to and shoot ( Respectfully of course ) ???

I'd like to take a trip and go plinkin'.

Anything I should know ???  I'd appreciate the scoop.

Thank you,    Steve
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 8:24:17 AM EDT
[#1]
It's an abandoned gravel pit open to any and all. There are organized events periodically (see the thread about the big clenaup on the 27th). Other than that it's pretty much free-for-all.

There's no formal organization to join or rules to observe. All you need is common courtesy and the ability to handle firearms safely.
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 5:43:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Technically it is sate land and all rules are supposed to be followed in accordance with that. You are supposed to have a valid hunting license, any kind will do...small game, deer...what ever it just has to be valid for the current year even though the season may not have started yet. Also supposed to wear orange....sounds silly I know but if the DNR wants to get technical about it they can ticket you for posession of a firearm on state land if you don't have both of those items. They have been very easy going and don't generally bother you while you are there but the potential still exists.
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 7:12:42 AM EDT
[#3]
This will sound silly, but where abouts in Lapeer is "The Pit".

I live in Genesee County between Clio and Otisville and it sounds like it should be pretty close to my home.

Thanks guys,

BD
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 7:50:29 AM EDT
[#4]
There is a map on here under "Team Shoot Photos" click the first link and it is about half way down the page but roughly it is north/north east of Lapeer. It is on Roods Lake Road north of Daley Road. Follow Roods Lake Road north into the woods and it is on your right side about 3/4 to a mile in.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 8:35:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Thank you very much, I appreciate it. Can't wait to receive my new AR and head on out.

Looks like you guys really enjoy yourselves out there. Just getting back into shooting and had no idea the "Pit" existed.

Thanks again,
Steve Rynbrandt
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 6:14:02 PM EDT
[#6]
If you are free this Saturday the 27th swing out. Us machine gun guys/gals will be there in full force. You can try a few out and see if you get stung by the full auto bug. There will be a good variety to choose from....M16's to suppressed MP5's. Belt fed Browning 1919's, UZI's.....you name it, somebody probably has it. Don't think we have any full auto .50's  scheduled but there will be a semi. We will have food and beverages (N.A.) as well.

Hope to see you there.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 7:02:10 PM EDT
[#7]
When I first started trying to find out about target shooting on state land, it was like pulling teeth. I sent about 4 emails to the DNR about it. They kept on telling me about their official shooting ranges. I finally got them to admit that shooting on state land was legal with their last e-mail. I thought you guys might be interested in what they had to say about it. Here is the text of the last e-mail I received from them on the subject.......

You may target practice with an identifiable backdrop on any State owned land that is not a State Park or
posted "no shooting".  Target shooting is not covered by conservation law and therefore there are no
closed seasons or curfews for target practicing on State lands.  What you may want to pay notice to are
areas where there are hikers, campers, bikers or horseback riders--these folks may also use State lands.

DNR Law Enforcement
Communications Section

Link Posted: 9/26/2003 6:54:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the invite this Saturday, however I will be in Denver, CO. I certainly would love to be there though.

Link Posted: 10/3/2003 10:11:54 PM EDT
[#9]
I was wondering would it be a bad idea to go to the pit during hunting season. Shooting might interfer with hunters or there may be someone hunting back. do you think we should stay away from the pit during hunting season?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top