Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/18/2003 11:19:15 AM EDT
It has been a long time since I have done any camping, yet my lady friend would like to go. I am more of a wonder off into the woods in the middle of nowhere, and sleep in the dirt type of guy, and she would like something a little more modern.

We are in Oakland county, and we would like to get fairly far away, at least to see some stars when we look up. I don't want to end up driving to the UP though. Also I have recently turned her on to shooting, and a shooting range of some sort near by would be nice.

Any suggestions will be taken into consideration.
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 2:03:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 8:45:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Wow, didn't remember there was a state park at Hartwick Pines...

State parks are not too bad for the money, though some have small campsites and feel crowded.

Good ones at Higgins Lake North and South (North is more woods and less people), Otsego Lake, and Manistee.

www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10365_10883---,00.html
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 8:50:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Another option for camping without "roughing it" are the Rustic Cabins available for rent at Mackinac State Park, and Cheboygan State Park. Weekend rentals are usually booked far in advance, but it's not unusual to find openings Mon-Thur. on rather short notice. The cabins have no electricity, wood burning stoves, (the DNR supplies split wood) bunk beds, outdoor water pumps, outhouses, picnic tables, and fire rings. The cost is about $45-60 a night. Also, most all have beach access, and one can watch the lake freighters pass by.

paddle3

Link Posted: 8/21/2003 10:28:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Pick just about any state forest campground. They are rustic, rarly crowded and usually fairly secluded.

I know you said you want to get far away but Metamora recreation area is pretty nice, though crowded on holidays. They may even have cabins. Most state parks and some rec areas do.
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 3:58:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for all the tips guys, I think we have it figured out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top