Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/7/2003 8:43:14 PM EDT
Has anyone had trouble getting a c&r full auto in lapeer county,I have been thinking about getting a full auto. but before I do I wanted to see if anyone had trouble with the county people.
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 4:20:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Check with Lumpy, I believe he just went through the process.  Every few months the full auto guys have a shoot, go to one and talk with those guys.  They know their shit.
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 11:41:42 AM EDT
[#2]
I talked with a guy out there {Lapeer) once who told me that the Sherriff was very open to signing form 4s. Is Ron Kalanquin still the Sherriff out that way? I don't think he is. Maybe it was him who signed off. I really don't know.

Hell, just do what I did. Go in and talk to the Sherriff first. Dress nice, be polite, and explain what it is you are after. All he can do is say no. It is a heck of a lot better to know one way or another before sending out money on a weapon.

My form 4 "should" show up any day now. I didn't actually talk to the sherriff but his Lt. called me back. Once I explained what it was I was after, he told me to bring the form in and they should be able to accomodate me. It sounds good but but I wont rest easily untill I actually have the signiture.

Here is a picture of the toy I will be getting once the paperwork clears......

Reising Model 50 .45 cal. subgun
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 7:50:11 PM EDT
[#3]
cool toy lumpy, cant wait to see it in action at the pit.

Ron Kalanquin is still the sherriff in lapeer county, I think I will call his office and talk to him about fourm 4's

thanks for the advice

Link Posted: 8/9/2003 6:51:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Just my personal opinion here but a personal visit may be in order. This will give him a chance to size you up on a personal level and ask questions.

When I went to the Sherriffs Dept. I got to spend about 30 minutes talking with his secretary. She told me that he usually has folks come in and talk to him but that he usually signs forms for people looking to add something special to their collection. Unfortunately, the day I stopped in, the Sherriff was on his way out the door for the day but he did stop to shake my hand. The secretary took my phone number and passed it along to the Sherriff. The next day, a Lt. Deputy called. We talked for a bit. He asked what I was buying. He then asked what exactly the Sherriffs signiture was for. I told him that the Sherriff was basically saying that he had no knowledge that I planned to use the gun in an illegal manner. The Dep then said ok, I will call you back. I am guessing that he then went to talk to the Sherriff. The Dep called me back about 10 minutes later and told me to bring the form in when I get it and they should be able to accomodate me.

I am expecting the Sherriff to have some questions for me when I go in such as why do I want it and how will it be stored. My main reasons for ownership will be investment as well as the fact that I attend out of state machine gun shoots and want one of my own to shoot. I will also express an interest in subgun matches. I also have any storage issues pretty well covered....no kids, large safe, home alarm, security lighting, etc.. Now for all I know, maybe he wont ask any questions but I tried to think of the relevant questions ahead of time so I could have answers ready for them.

The seller sent the form 4 my way last monday so it should be here any time now. I am hoping to see the Sherriff early next week. I consider getting the signiture to be next hurdle, once it is behind me I can settle in for the longgggggggg wait while ATF approves the transfer. Sorry for the long post but this is all new to me and I thought maybe knowing what I have done up till now would help. Be sure to let us know how you make out with the Sherriff. Good Luck.
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 5:38:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks again lumpy, like you this is all new to me too,and any advice you have given me is well appreciated.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top