Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/2/2003 10:18:49 AM EDT
It's pretty straight forward on Hanguns.
What about lock back knives? I've got nice SOG and Gerber clip folders I carry on a regular basis with blade lengths 4" and under. One which has a belt pouch.

What are the legality issues? I'd really hate to get popped with a CCW charge.

Thanks,
IB.
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 5:32:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I thought that I had remember where I saw it, but I couldn't find it. I did find this.

18.  I recently purchased a double-edged survival knife. Does Michigan law allow me to carry this in my vehicle?

MCL 750.227   No. A double-edged cutting instrument, no matter what the length, cannot be carried concealed on or about a person, or whether concealed or otherwise in any vehicle operated or occupied by the person.

here: www.michigan.gov/msp/0,1607,7-123-1591_3503_4654-10953--,00.html

The rule of thumb that I've always followed is that you should be able to close your hand over the knife blade.
Personally, I used to carry an Emerson CQC-7, but the combination of my dad giving me a small CRKT folder and reading that Ernst had said that he thought that the -7 was too large for it's intended purpose, I switched to the smaller knife.
What I've learned talking to people is that if the officer considers it a concealed weapon, it's a concealed weapon until proven otherwise.
Lastly, when I get around to jumping through the hoops for my CCW, this is definitely one question on my list.
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 8:38:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the response Stryfe.
I was checking the migov website and could'nt find a damn ting when searching for knife laws.(except the double edged blade law). Anybody else want to give this a stab(no pun intended)?
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 4:46:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Be very careful about relying on that FAQ...the state pop-po (aka "ramp roosters") kinda forgot to update the FAQ as the law changes.
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 7:40:09 PM EDT
[#4]
The blade I carry is 3.5" and I've talked to a few cops and they've all said don't worry about it.  As long as you don't stab someone with it, or use it in a threating manner (or look like you are going to)to the cop, they've all said no to worry about my knife.  I don't have specific laws, but I wouldn't worry about.  
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 12:33:09 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The blade I carry is 3.5" and I've talked to a few cops and they've all said don't worry about it.  As long as you don't stab someone with it, or use it in a threating manner (or look like you are going to)to the cop, they've all said no to worry about my knife.  I don't have specific laws, but I wouldn't worry about.  

Yeah, I remember that CRKT M16 you had. I was going to get one too but I ended up haggling/getting over at a funshow and traded my new Gerber Gator for a new SOG Auto-Clip.

Thanks, bud.

Link Posted: 8/5/2003 5:15:45 AM EDT
[#6]
www.michiganlegislature.org/law

Do a full text search using the word 'knife'... 16 relevant hits...

Edited to add:  It's the 'unlawful intent' that confuses me... I'm not carrying a blade with unlawful intent, so does that mean I can carry whatever I want???  Very ambiguous and deceptive wordings...  To play it safe, all my carry blades are under 3", it's not my goal in life to be the test case...

750.226 Firearm or dangerous weapon; carrying with unlawful intent.
Sec. 226.
Carrying firearm or dangerous weapon with unlawful intent—Any person who, with intent to use the same unlawfully against the person of another, goes armed with a pistol or other firearm or dagger, dirk, razor, stiletto, or knife having a blade over 3 inches in length, or any other dangerous or deadly weapon or instrument, shall be guilty of a felony, punishable by imprisonment in the state prison for not more than 5 years or by a fine of not more than 2,500 dollars.

750.227 Concealed weapons; carrying; penalty.
Sec. 227.
(1) A person shall not carry a dagger, dirk, stiletto, a double-edged nonfolding stabbing instrument of any length, or any other dangerous weapon, except a hunting knife adapted and carried as such, concealed on or about his or her person, or whether concealed or otherwise in any vehicle operated or occupied by the person, except in his or her dwelling house, place of business or on other land possessed by the person.

Link Posted: 8/5/2003 5:44:47 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
www.michiganlegislature.org/law

Do a full text search using the word 'knife'... 16 relevant hits...

Edited to add:  It's the 'unlawful intent' that confuses me... I'm not carrying a blade with unlawful intent, so does that mean I can carry whatever I want???  Very ambiguous and deceptive wordings...  To play it safe, all my carry blades are under 3", it's not my goal in life to be the test case...

750.226 Firearm or dangerous weapon; carrying with unlawful intent.
Sec. 226.
Carrying firearm or dangerous weapon with unlawful intent—Any person who, with intent to use the same unlawfully against the person of another, goes armed with a pistol or other firearm or dagger, dirk, razor, stiletto, or knife having a blade over 3 inches in length, or any other dangerous or deadly weapon or instrument, shall be guilty of a felony, punishable by imprisonment in the state prison for not more than 5 years or by a fine of not more than 2,500 dollars.

750.227 Concealed weapons; carrying; penalty.
Sec. 227.
(1) A person shall not carry a dagger, dirk, stiletto, a double-edged nonfolding stabbing instrument of any length, or any other dangerous weapon, except a hunting knife adapted and carried as such, concealed on or about his or her person, or whether concealed or otherwise in any vehicle operated or occupied by the person, except in his or her dwelling house, place of business or on other land possessed by the person.

I carry fixed blade hunting knife in my truck.  Not for defense, really, but more as a survival aid/tool/camping fun toy.  I got a big pickup with a military shovel and other such items, so I havn't really worried about harassment.

I know this is a bit off topic, but I thought I would throw it in there.
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 11:58:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the info.
Now how do you measure? From end of metal to end of metal? or from end of cutting edge to end ofcutting edge?

My SOG auto clip's cutting edge is 3". The over all length of metal is 3.6"?

Link Posted: 8/5/2003 5:10:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Overall length of the blade is what I was told by the Midland County Sheriff's Dept when I moved back to Michigan in '02... I was doing the 'safety inspection'/registration on my handguns I'd brought from Florida and asked them... The Deputy thought the law was as stupid as we do.

When I lived in Florida I got real used to carrying a Sypderco Civilian or left and right handed Spyderco Police models in my waistband... the OAL of the blades was just over 4", and that will get you spanked in this state... too bad, sweet blades.

I've always got a Glock Field knife, entrenching tool, machete, and hand ax in my truck... as long as you don't carry them for 'defensive' purposes it's perfectly fine...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top