Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/11/2022 6:13:06 PM EDT
HB2509/SB2628 was signed Governor Lee today. " As introduced, removes a short-barrel rifle or shotgun from the list of weapons the possession, manufacture, transport, repair, or sale of which is prohibited under state law. - Amends TCA Title 39, Chapter 17, Part 13. "

This basically legalizes SBR and SBS at the state level. Unfortunately federal laws still apply and they supersede state law per The Supremacy Clause of the Constitution of the United States (Article VI, Clause 2) .
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 12:43:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Interesting.  I was recently informed that TWRA prohibits pistol versions of ARs and AK on their ranges, apparently because shooters were shouldering the devices.  Wonder how TWRA will react?
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 12:54:01 PM EDT
[#2]
This is mostly symbolic, no?

NFA items have been allowed in TN for decades, so I'm not sure what this does (symbolic effort to codify their legality/increase acceptance?).

I'm not complaining either way. Just curious if it does anything meaningful given they've always been allowed assuming tax-paid.
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 10:43:11 AM EDT
[#3]
if local LEO don't enforce fed laws, it dramatically reduces the chances of being unconstitutionally harassed
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 12:34:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I had no idea they weren't allowed.  Good thing because I am moving with an SBR this month!
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 1:53:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Interesting.  I was recently informed that TWRA prohibits pistol versions of ARs and AK on their ranges, apparently because shooters were shouldering the devices.  Wonder how TWRA will react?
View Quote

Not sure about all the TWRA ranges, but the Stone River Range does not prohibit them.  You may have to use them on the pistol range, but they are not prohibited.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 2:27:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I had no idea they weren't allowed.  Good thing because I am moving with an SBR this month!
View Quote

Welcome to Tennessee!
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 10:37:38 PM EDT
[#7]
It’s a great step forward. Now do suppressors
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 10:43:12 PM EDT
[#8]
I would guess the problem would be if an ATF agent was at a range and questioned you. Or if the gun got stolen etc. I may be wrong, but I don't see this as being able to buy a short barrel blower and just throw it together and be OK in Tennessee without a tax stamp.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 3:04:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
HB2509/SB2628 was signed Governor Lee today. " As introduced, removes a short-barrel rifle or shotgun from the list of weapons the possession, manufacture, transport, repair, or sale of which is prohibited under state law. - Amends TCA Title 39, Chapter 17, Part 13. "

This basically legalizes SBR and SBS at the state level. Unfortunately federal laws still apply and they supersede state law per The Supremacy Clause of the Constitution of the United States (Article VI, Clause 2) .
View Quote

Unless it is pot.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 8:54:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

They are and have been allowed (with a tax stamp).

Law basically says locals won’t enforce federal law.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 12:37:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Law basically says locals won’t enforce federal law.
View Quote

Kansas had a similar law.

THen the feds came in and Kansas said "sucks to be you" and they went to jail for 10 years and Kansas did nothing to help them.  
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 1:15:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

They ARE and have been allowed.  There is a subsequent paragraph in TN law that says SBRs/SBSs are legal if they are properly registered with the ATF per federal law.  Removing this "prohibition" is doesn't change the status of any registered SBS/SBR.  If you had an unregistered SBR, you'd still be in violation of TN law because of the paragraph that says they're legal at the state level only if they're properly registered.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 9:13:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

They ARE and have been allowed.  There is a subsequent paragraph in TN law that says SBRs/SBSs are legal if they are properly registered with the ATF per federal law.  Removing this "prohibition" is doesn't change the status of any registered SBS/SBR.  If you had an unregistered SBR, you'd still be in violation of TN law because of the paragraph that says they're legal at the state level only if they're properly registered.
View Quote

Edit: read your response wrong.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 8:11:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Law basically says locals won't enforce federal law.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The way I understood it was that a stamp was an affirmative defense.  So you could still be arrested for possession but having a stamp would be a successful defense in court.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 2:37:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The way I understood it was that a stamp was an affirmative defense.  So you could still be arrested for possession but having a stamp would be a successful defense in court.
View Quote

Yup, I read it exactly that way as well.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 10:09:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, that's how suppressors were treated by state law, until they were removed from the state prohibited weapon list, a few years ago.

Suppressors were 'NFA paperwork is an affirmative defense against prosecution', before they were removed from the list.

SBRs were 'NFA paperwork is an exception to possession being an offense', before they were removed from the list.

Other than state and local police no longer having a reason to be checking NFA compliance for SBRs, the only positive I can see is removing one excuse for police to bother people who are open carrying AR/AK pistols (if police don't know the difference), or open carrying SBRs if the bill to change TN carry laws from "handgun" carry laws to "firearm" carry laws is passed.

ETA: Before the change
TCA 39-17-1302-(d) "It is an exception to the application of subsection (a) that the person acquiring or possessing a weapon described in subdivisions (a)(3) or (a)(4) is in full compliance with the requirements of the National Firearms Act (26 U.S.C. §§  5841-5862)."

(a)(3) is machineguns, (a)(4) was SBRs and SBSs.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 10:59:16 PM EDT
[#17]
I found how that section of state law read back in 2010, before switchblades and suppressors were removed from the 'prohibited weapons' list, and at that time suppressors, SBRs, SBSs, and machineguns were all listed as NFA paperwork being a defense to prosecution.

I guess the wording was changed to NFA paperwork being an exception for SBRs, SBSs, and machineguns, sometime between then and last year.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 1:22:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ugh.  More Yankees.  
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 12:59:32 AM EDT
[#19]
@sylvan

What part of TN?

Welcome
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 12:43:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Near Oak Ridge.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 6:43:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Danged glad to have you here
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 5:32:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Now make the whole state a 2A sanctuary!
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 9:57:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Now make the whole state a 2A sanctuary!
View Quote

Gov Lee signed the Tennessee Second Amendment Sanctuary Act, a year ago.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 10:01:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Near Oak Ridge.
View Quote

Welcome to town, its a beautiful area around here! PM if you need anything in the area.
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 8:11:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Gov Lee signed the Tennessee Second Amendment Sanctuary Act, a year ago.
View Quote

Nah I mean all they way, declare us all free from the unconstitutional NFA.
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 12:42:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Someone else asked me about this today and I reached out to John Harris of TFA.  From them:

Tennessee Firearms Association
SB2628/HB2509(Sen. Frank Niceley and Rep. Rusty Grills) removes short barrel rifles and short barrel shotguns from Tennessee’s list of prohibited weapons. While that is an improvement and a policy statement, it does not substantively change Tennessee law because there is an existing provision that allowed ownership of these categories of weapons so long as the items were properly possessed under the National Firearms Act. Furthermore, assuming the weapon is not properly registered, the individual can still be prosecuted under both state and federal law for possession of these items under Tennessee Code Annotated 39-17-1307
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 10:55:34 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Someone else asked me about this today and I reached out to John Harris of TFA.  From them:

Tennessee Firearms Association
SB2628/HB2509(Sen. Frank Niceley and Rep. Rusty Grills) removes short barrel rifles and short barrel shotguns from Tennessee’s list of prohibited weapons. While that is an improvement and a policy statement, it does not substantively change Tennessee law because there is an existing provision that allowed ownership of these categories of weapons so long as the items were properly possessed under the National Firearms Act. Furthermore, assuming the weapon is not properly registered, the individual can still be prosecuted under both state and federal law for possession of these items under Tennessee Code Annotated 39-17-1307
View Quote

So what’s the fuck does this law actually do?
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 11:46:12 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Currently?  Nothing.  Literally nothing.
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 6:02:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

So I need to weld on all the barrels I just cut off

I kid I kid. Looks like I gotta stamp some shit
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 7:51:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It caused some youtube channels to do videos on how SBRs were becoming legal in TN.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top