Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/5/2022 9:09:23 AM EDT
I moved to the Memphis area back in October and have yet to get to a range.  Is the MSSA range worth the $800 first year fee?  It seems to be a pretty nice facility from their website, but damn that is expensive!  

Is there anything else in the area that you can stretch out to 600 yards?  I tried looking through the range thread, but MSSA seems to be the only one.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 12:52:35 PM EDT
[#1]
12 year member here. Yes, i enjoy it. It does have some fudd politics, especially from the high power group, but not as bad as other ranges.

the 100, 50 and 25 yards covered lines get busy on the weekends and holidays.

The 300 yard range in back is my favorite. Not used often, it is secluded and has lots of shooting props.

The Action Pistol range is a lot of fun. 8, 3 sided bays with high side berms and a tall back stop. Draw till your hearts content. The AP range allows shotguns and ARs. Rifle calibers on paper only. Dont shoot the steel with a rifle. They will make you pay for the holy steel, if they catch you.

You will need to qualify for both. Just shoot a match and the MD will sign off unless you are a danger shooter.

Lots of matches to shoot. Shoot a few matches to check it out. There is an AP pistol match of some kind almost every weekend.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 12:58:14 PM EDT
[#2]
K&M in Finger TN goes out to 1500, i think. They hold 2 PRS major matches a year and several club PRS matches a year. Just over an hour east of Memphis of hwy 100. I am not sure of yearly fees.

Tennessee Sports Foundation an hour east of Memphis is just south of Jackson TN with a 500 yard range and a full 360 range. 6-7 bays. They have an on/off monthly 3 gun match if you want to check the range out. I believe yearly fees are $150.

Desoto rifle and pistol club is about an hour south of Memphis just off I-55. Several long ranges, 700 max and several pistol bays. They hold a bunch of matches as well. They will have a mid-range AR match this Saturday out to 700.  Dont know the yearly fees.

All these and MSSA are great ranges and have great folks.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 1:22:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Awesome information!  Thank you so much!  I was looking at K&M and MSSA.  K&M looks incredible, but not sure how often I would head that far out.  MSSA is for sure a lot closer to me, just wasn't sure on the fees and the qualifying for the rifle ranges.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 3:46:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Awesome information!  Thank you so much!  I was looking at K&M and MSSA.  K&M looks incredible, but not sure how often I would head that far out.  MSSA is for sure a lot closer to me, just wasn't sure on the fees and the qualifying for the rifle ranges.
View Quote
At MSSA:

Qualifying for AP is as easy as shooting a match. Steel Challenge or USPSA are the easiest to qualify. There is a steel challenge this saturday.

300 rifle and 600 rifle can have more steps. I might be wrong about shooing a match for the HP qualifying. If you can't shoot a match, you will need to shoot a target at 100 with so many being in a certain MOA. The front desk can tell you. I qualified 10 years ago and it has changed a couple times since.

I shoot skeet/clays but dont remember qualifying. LOL. All i ever shoot is the wobble stand.

Not sure about sporting clays. Haven't shot SC at MSSA.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 8:30:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Also, paper only for shotties on the AP range.

I am a member and since I don't shoot competitively, I go late morning/mid-day during the week and it is not crowded.

They also have a dedicated Cowboy Action range that is popular.

EDIT:

Yes, the $500 initiation fee is a lot, but,

1) you never have to do "work days" during the year like a lot of other ranges/clubs

and

2) the facilities are very well maintained.

Link Posted: 5/6/2022 8:23:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

snip
View Quote

When did they change that? We've shoot steel pepper poppers in matches with shotguns forever with steel shot.

There is no buckshot or slug on steel.

edit: i steel should not be in that. I have no idea why i typed steel, i meant lead shot.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 9:24:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Hard yes.

I waited way too long to join because of the initiation fee. I regret that.

I may go out this afternoon.

If you know someone that is a member, you can go as their guest up to 3 times. If you do, you'll be hooked
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 1:31:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

When did they change that? We've shoot steel pepper poppers in matches with shotguns forever with steel shot.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

snip

GT,

Due to a failure on my part in reading comprehension, I misinterpreted the AP Range rules (and an email from Walt) as NO shooting
steel targets with shotguns, irrespective of type of ammo.

My bad...I hope I did not alarm you.

Link Posted: 5/7/2022 10:11:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Sporting clays and trap / skeet are 1st class.  

No qualifying necessary.

I've been a MSSA member for 20 or so years.  If you shoot during the week there are no crowds at all.
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 4:43:34 PM EDT
[#10]
MSSA has a USPSA match the 14th and a steel challenge match the 15th.

$12 for non-members
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 5:40:57 AM EDT
[#11]
K&M is sweet. It is out in the middle of nowhere. $650 first year, and $550 after that IIRC. I am a member, but hardly ever go due to work.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 8:00:35 AM EDT
[#12]
I went out and joined MSSA on Sunday, filled out all the paperwork and paid the fees.  Next week is my safety brief.  Range looks incredible, I'm looking forward to being able to use it.  

Thank you everyone for your recommendations!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top