Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/30/2022 4:44:14 AM EDT
On the eastern Border of TN, near Johnson city there's a lot of forest service owned land, for example, Cherokee National Forest https://www.fs.usda.gov/cherokee

On the USDA website: Target shooting is allowed on national forest or grassland unless restricted. Check your local ranger district for more information about local restriction.

I called up the local forest service office and the guy who answered the phone said "We got ranges for people to shoot on you can't just walk into the woods and shoot." - But part of me thinks he's wrong. It wasn't a ranger I was speaking to it was a front office guy, but nobody I've talked to outside of that office can give me an answer.

I also want to know what the deal with open carry is in public forest land - specifically pertaining to long guns.

Does anyone know the answer?
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 1:11:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

I also want to know what the deal with open carry is in public forest land - specifically pertaining to long guns.

View Quote

Carry of long guns, for the purpose of going armed, is currently illegal in TN.  

Carry of long guns for purposes of hunting, target practice, etc, is legal in TN.  Transport of long guns (in your vehicle) is also legal.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/cherokee/recreation/otheractivities/?recid=34864&actid=106

If the USDA says to check with the local office, the local office says you have to use designated ranges, and their website says they have designated ranges, then it sounds like you can't just walk out into the woods and shoot.

There's a history of Cherokee National Forest land use being restricted, due to the actions of a relatively small number of people doing things that were frowned upon.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 9:05:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
On the eastern Border of TN, near Johnson city there's a lot of forest service owned land, for example, Cherokee National Forest https://www.fs.usda.gov/cherokee

On the USDA website: Target shooting is allowed on national forest or grassland unless restricted. Check your local ranger district for more information about local restriction.

I called up the local forest service office and the guy who answered the phone said "We got ranges for people to shoot on you can't just walk into the woods and shoot." - But part of me thinks he's wrong.
View Quote

For better or worse, he's right.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 4:25:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Anybody have a clue regarding public/free shooting areas near Pigeon Forge and GSMNP? I haven't been able to shoot squat since we moved here from Independece and the Lake City range.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 4:57:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Anybody have a clue regarding public/free shooting areas near Pigeon Forge and GSMNP? I haven't been able to shoot squat since we moved here from Independece and the Lake City range.
View Quote

There's a state-ran range about 20 miles north-ish of Knoxville, right off of I-75, on Royal Blue WMA. Another 20-30 miles NW of there, there's a range on the DBNF in Kentucky. I used to shoot at both of them when we lived there. Then there's a range in Clinton, right on the edge of Norris lake, but it's not free.

I realize that none of that is really *close* to you, but it might beat nothing.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 5:52:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Public/free ranges near you are non existent AFAIK. To be honest, you really don’t want to use one even if you had one. I have used some years ago public/free ranges and they suck. Lots of trash and douchebaggery galore.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 8:23:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Public/free ranges near you are non existent AFAIK. To be honest, you really don’t want to use one even if you had one. I have used some years ago public/free ranges and they suck. Lots of trash and douchebaggery galore.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rule number 1 for going to the range at the Cheatham Wildlife Management Area - DO NOT go alone.

Rule number 2 for going to the range at the Cheatham Wildlife Management Area - have your buddy stay at the bench while you go downrange to change your targets, so that he can provide cover fire (if needed) while you make your way back.  Do not assume that your definition of the term "cold range" is the same as everybody else's at that range.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 10:31:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Rule number 1 for going to the range at the Cheatham Wildlife Management Area - DO NOT go alone.

Rule number 2 for going to the range at the Cheatham Wildlife Management Area - have your buddy stay at the bench while you go downrange to change your targets, so that he can provide cover fire (if needed) while you make your way back.  Do not assume that your definition of the term "cold range" is the same as everybody else's at that range.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Public/free ranges near you are non existent AFAIK. To be honest, you really don't want to use one even if you had one. I have used some years ago public/free ranges and they suck. Lots of trash and douchebaggery galore.

The exact same thing could be said for the Swan Creek WMA range, Tanner AL.  At least it was true when I used to use that range +10 years ago.

Not a new phenomenon: remember the 1986 Miami FBI Shootout?  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top