Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/9/2022 1:56:42 PM EDT
Just like the title says, looking to move to the Maryville area as a REFUGEE, not a Missionary within the next 2 years. Just got back from there yesterday. Saw REO Speedwagon at the civic auditorium on Thursday night Used to be a firefighter/EMT/etc.. looking to donate my time/experience to my new community. Any pointers would be much appreciated. Thanks, YCB
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 6:51:50 PM EDT
[#1]
The housing market is ape shit crazy like everywhere else. Cash is King. How much over asking is the name of the game.

There is not much inventory here.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 8:54:03 PM EDT
[#2]
A man who lived near us, who is a retired Marine, and a heckuva guy, moved to Maryville about two years ago. He happens to be a realtor, and as standup a pro-liberty guy as I've ever met, and I've met a lot.

I'm going to PM you his name. Full disclosure: I used to be a realtor. My wife still is. I am NOT asking for a 'referral'. The guy I'm gonna mention to you is simply a rock-solid dude who I'd send my own family to if they were moving to his area.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 4:45:41 PM EDT
[#3]
why maryville?

I have been watching the knoxville area for property for the past 6 months.  Maryville is the most retarded when it comes to prices.  Followed by Lenoir City.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 8:54:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Maryville? Logistics. Checks off a bunch of boxes. We just stayed over in Farragut. The traffic on the west side of Knoxville...sucks
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 5:04:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Maryville? Logistics. Checks off a bunch of boxes. We just stayed over in Farragut. The traffic on the west side of Knoxville...sucks
View Quote

Maryvilles traffic sucks to but not has bad west knox
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 7:16:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Depends on where you are working.  Since I'll be up at Oak Ridge, I'd prefer Farragut (one more kid in high school)
maryville is a good high school as well.
Wife went to Farragut so there is a preference there, but damned if everything didn't get stupid expensive.  With Smith and Wesson opening up in Maryville, ain't gonna lie, wouldn't mind doing a job with them depending on what it is.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 9:30:09 AM EDT
[#7]
We just moved to Maryville 6 months ago, and love it here. However, the housing market is insane. We were lucky my wife, also a realtor, was able to get the scoop on an acceptable rental, because any housing on the market right now is at least 100-200k over what it should be. The prices people are paying for garbage houses here is unbelievable! We want to build, but the last remaining lots near here are not very desirable at all, and the builders are backed up and build costs are insane. We found a very nice lot, again because the wife is a great realtor and found one not on the market, but we can't build on it right now.

Cliff notes, we really love living here in Maryville, but housing is by far the #1 challenge in moving here.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 12:11:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Depends on where you are working.  Since I'll be up at Oak Ridge, I'd prefer Farragut (one more kid in high school)
maryville is a good high school as well.
Wife went to Farragut so there is a preference there, but damned if everything didn't get stupid expensive.  With Smith and Wesson opening up in Maryville, ain't gonna lie, wouldn't mind doing a job with them depending on what it is.
View Quote

@Sylvan

Check the S&W home page. Go to Here and check the job openings.
I did it a few months ago and posted a resume. Hopefully will hear something the closer to the opening in Oct '23
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 8:07:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Sent you an IM, OP.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 3:33:06 PM EDT
[#10]
OP, you might want to use the name change feature if you are gonna be living in the Volunteer State. You might give somebody a nervous tic with the name yankee carpet bagger.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 4:02:59 PM EDT
[#11]
My wife is currently looking for houses in the area.

If you find a house you like, you better put an offer down immediately.
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 5:03:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
My wife is currently looking for houses in the area.

If you find a house you like, you better put an offer down immediately.
View Quote

And you still may be outbid. It has happened a lot in my neighborhood.  Houses become bidding wars. Guy across from me has the identical layout as ours. He listed. In hours he had an offer. Then another offer. And a third.
The 3 started a bidding war. It sold for $40k more than asking.

We've had cold offers from strangers putting a note or card in our front door offering $75k more than appraised value.
We bought for $259k in 2007. Added extended deck and a roof to it.
Appraised now for $360k
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 7:16:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Over asking is assumed.
Our house here sold in less than 24 hours and 55K over asking.  Zero inspection.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 8:38:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Offer accepted in Hardin Valley.  Close to Oak Ridge Shooting club (or whatever it is called)
Looking forward to the knoxville meet up.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 11:28:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Hardin Valley HS is about a 10 min drive from me.
We will have to have a Knoxville Arfcom get together soon.
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 10:39:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Offer accepted in Hardin Valley.  Close to Oak Ridge Shooting club (or whatever it is called)
Looking forward to the knoxville meet up.
View Quote

You’ll like ORSA.  Lots of different opportunities for shooting sports.  PM me when you get ready to submit a members’ application, and I’ll sponsor your application.  I’ve been a member for nearly 20 years.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 1:31:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Chattanooga is like Knoxville in that the housing market is super out of whack. Maryville will be a victim of its own success because of the growth but I still like it up that way.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 7:36:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for all the replies and DMs, I really appreciate it. It's nice to know there's still towns with an abundance of  good, honest, god-fearing folk.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top