Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/17/2014 12:19:51 AM EDT
Hey guys!
So here is the story....

Ive have lived in the peoples republic of new jersey for a number of years now. Just finished up an associates degree, and for family reasons, i am moving to the memphis area. Arlington to be exact. Before you say... ewww memphis!, Im sure memphis is MUCH better than jersey. December 1st will be my first day starting life in the great state of Tennessee.

I am finally excited to get into regular practicing as i will have ranges nearby, and will finally not have to jump through flaming, electric hoops in order to get ammo or firearms themselves. You guys in tennessee dont know how lucky you are!

Besides the whole firearm thing, I love riding motorcycles, and working on cars, and i hope to hit up any track days over at the track in millington!  If anyone has info on that track id love to hear it. Also, anyone know of dirtbike trails or supermoto tracks nearby? I plan on getting a dualsport to use as a supermoto/offroad bike and im curious if there is any of that is around here.

Eventually i plan on going back to college so any recommendations in the area would be greatly appreciated!

Ive been reading up on the other posts about guys on here moving to the area, so i dont really have many questions.  Id love to go to a range and and meet up with a group if you guys ever do that.

My only question is.... As a former nj resident moving to this state, is there anything i should know... Look, i am a constitutionalists, so im not gonna bring the typical jersey political bullcrap with me, part of the reason why im moving, i cant stand the crap that goes on. I have an open door, and im walking through it.  

oh two more questions actually. Vehicle inspections? After i get my title and registration all changed over, do i need to get a safety or emissions test? And is there safety or emissions for motorcycles? I am finding conflicting info across a few different sites.

thanks! Have a good evening guys!
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 9:23:06 AM EDT
[#1]
The big universities around here are the University of Memphis, Christian Brothers, and Rhodes. Lots of smaller places and some of the Mississippi schools have satellite campuses in Desoto. The University of Memphis/Tiger High isn't a bad commuter school.

There are no vehicle inspections in or around Memphis anymore. They will probably come back some day in the future when the EPA cracks the whip. You do have safety inspections if you move to MS.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 9:38:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Welcome!

Arlington is close to a nice range, MSSA. It is pricy to start, $400 app fee and 240/year, but otherwise a very nice range. There are plenty of matches and you dont have to be a member to shoot matches: USPSA, IDPA, 3 Gun, Steel Challenge, F Class, cowboy, trap, etc. There is always something going on.

There aren't many rifle/outdoor ranges around Memphis. South of Jackson there is TSF and South of Southaven there Desoto rifle and pistol club.

For indoor pistol ranges, Range USA is a good to go.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 5:17:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Move to Bartlett.

If they do bring back inspections, you won't have to do them unless you live in the Memphis city limits.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 6:01:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 8:45:57 PM EDT
[#5]
What part of NJ are you coming from?

Link Posted: 11/17/2014 9:18:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Move to Bartlett.

If they do bring back inspections, you won't have to do them unless you live in the Memphis city limits.
View Quote

If they bring them back I'm thinking they'll be county wide.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 1:37:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
AND if you move to Arlington, you will be pretty close to me.

It remains to be seen if that is a good thing or a bad thing yet.
View Quote

I thought we settled that.  You are "the man" and we don't want to be around the man...
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 2:02:16 PM EDT
[#8]
I thought you were never supposed to "Invite The Man" into your life...?

Link Posted: 11/18/2014 2:16:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 4:23:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 4:52:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 12:05:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks guys for your reply. I also apologize for my rather sudden silence. The day after i made that post i had to cut out my internet. Then the whole moving 1200 miles part happened. And now i am finally back online in a new state!

-Kenny, i will probably be taking a peek at the University of memphis at some point. Ill be curious to see what degrees they offer i may be more interested in.

-gotigers, good to know there are a few good ranges. Ill definitely have to check out the range usa place. Any good gun stores around with a good variety and selection?

I already got my car registered, and i am as happy as can be to not have to go through any inspections whatsoever! It was odd however that my car being older than 10 years meant they dont note the mileage on the title.... That to me was strange.

-rgaper, I lived in very very north jersey. sussex county up by that upper left corner where jersey meets ny and pa.

-Hank, i am in arlington. Its a pretty nice town. At least the part i am located. I hope to be taking my motorcycle out pretty soon so if you see a red crotch rocket, make to sure wave haha.

We also stopped at martins bbq in nashville on the way over here. That place was mighty good! Im sure ill find plenty of more in the memphis area i am presuming.

Oh. Any places i should take note and care to avoid in this area? Ive been through Patterson NJ  and into Newark a number of times, but i dont know how those compare to memphis....
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 8:07:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 4:42:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Any places i should take note and care to avoid in this area? Ive been through Patterson NJ  and into Newark a number of times, but i dont know how those compare to memphis....
View Quote

I used to work in Elizabeth, NJ.  It isn't really any worse here, just easier to accidentally end up on the wrong block.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 5:03:21 PM EDT
[#15]

Having one of these on standby might not be a bad idea if you have to go anywhere near Lamar Avenue... Or anywhere on the south side of Memphis.

Or the north side, or west side, or maybe the east, too..  

Link Posted: 12/11/2014 10:28:30 PM EDT
[#16]
yes gunshow! I saw the post after i replied to this. I think my father and I will be going sometime in the morningish. I got my new drivers license so i am all set! Think they will have any decent knives there? I want to see how microtechs feel in person before i drop some bank on one.

Anyways. You guys make memphis out to be the Rio de Janeiro of the usa.... I havent been convinced of that quite yet, as in order for a lot of those unfortunate circumstances to happen, you need to be seen as a victim from the get go, associate with the crooks, unknowingly befriend the crooks, openly present a product or goods of interest the thieves, or clearly act out of place causing more than a scene to draw attention. At least those were a few that i have learned of, you may or may not agree, that is your choice.

Yes there is always the fact one of us might be in the wrong place at the wrong time, that can happen as well. But i feel you can control the things a little more.

Who knows! My viewpoint might change. But right now, i want to give memphis a chance. However, i am not naive. Im gonna be installing a hidden kill switch on my car, as well as some sort of tracking on my motorcycle. I dont know how common the sportbike theft is around here... so i am more paranoid of that. Besides that, i guess i get my ccw permit, and start taking classes to learn more and more. No sense living in fear guys. Its a sad life like that.

Have a good night guys!

Link Posted: 12/12/2014 8:08:24 AM EDT
[#17]
I wouldn't worry about putting a kill switch on your car, unless you have a classic that would look great rolling on 30in rims.  Tracking for your motorcycle might not be a bad idea if you do not park it in a garage.  I wouldn't recommend taking it to the city too often anyway other than for bike night on Beale.  Too many distracted and lousy drivers in Memphis.  I do ride my bike into the office on fair weather days, but work for me is in East Memphis and I can avoid the busy surface streets without going through the hood.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 4:33:44 PM EDT
[#18]
It's not as bad as they make it out to be, but it's fun to joke about. Stay out of the ghetto and you'll be fine.
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 4:21:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

-Kenny, i will probably be taking a peek at the University of memphis at some point. Ill be curious to see what degrees they offer i may be more interested in.

-Hank, i am in arlington. Its a pretty nice town. At least the part i am located. hope to be taking my motorcycle out pretty soon so if you see a red crotch rocket, make to sure..

stopped at martins bbq in nashville on the way over here. That place was mighty good! Im sure ill find plenty of more in the memphis area i am presuming.
View Quote

FWIW, I am a "non-traditional student" at the UofM (at age 47) completing my Architecture Degree I gave up on in the 80s, Bastards made me start over except for my gen-eds. I will say, it is a FINE University. That "Tiger High" bullshite is just that. Bullshite. As with most educational experiences, it is what you draw out of it that counts. And it's not a commuter school. There are commuters that attend (like myself), but over a quarter of the students enrolled live in the dorms, and I'd say at least another quarter rent in the neighborhood adjacent to campus. A commuter school has no dorms, like Southwest or Phoenix.  

If you are interested, there is a motorcycle club called MSSR (Mid South Sport Riders?) http://www.midsouthsportriders.org/joomlamssr/

And you will come to understand. Nashville does BBQ. Memphis IS BBQ. The hole-in-the-wall places are the best. Personally, I like Tops. Some say they have too much fat. My answer to them is always.... and your point is???? They have the absolute best BBQ sauce ever. And slaw goes on the sandwich. Ironically, they also make the best griddle-style double cheeseburger you will ever have.

For ribs, Central BBQ.

Hope that all, in some way, helps! When I get through with my masters in about 1 1/2 years, I'ma be all about gettin' to the range and gettin' out on my bike. Maybe we can hook up over the summer and go have a beer or 6.
George
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 12:52:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

FWIW, I am a "non-traditional student" at the UofM (at age 47) completing my Architecture Degree I gave up on in the 80s, Bastards made me start over except for my gen-eds. I will say, it is a FINE University. That "Tiger High" bullshite is just that. Bullshite. As with most educational experiences, it is what you draw out of it that counts. And it's not a commuter school. There are commuters that attend (like myself), but over a quarter of the students enrolled live in the dorms, and I'd say at least another quarter rent in the neighborhood adjacent to campus. A commuter school has no dorms, like Southwest or Phoenix.  

If you are interested, there is a motorcycle club called MSSR (Mid South Sport Riders?) http://www.midsouthsportriders.org/joomlamssr/

And you will come to understand. Nashville does BBQ. Memphis IS BBQ. The hole-in-the-wall places are the best. Personally, I like Tops. Some say they have too much fat. My answer to them is always.... and your point is???? They have the absolute best BBQ sauce ever. And slaw goes on the sandwich. Ironically, they also make the best griddle-style double cheeseburger you will ever have.

For ribs, Central BBQ.

Hope that all, in some way, helps! When I get through with my masters in about 1 1/2 years, I'ma be all about gettin' to the range and gettin' out on my bike. Maybe we can hook up over the summer and go have a beer or 6.
George
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

-Hank, i am in arlington. Its a pretty nice town. At least the part i am located. hope to be taking my motorcycle out pretty soon so if you see a red crotch rocket, make to sure..

stopped at martins bbq in nashville on the way over here. That place was mighty good! Im sure ill find plenty of more in the memphis area i am presuming.

For ribs, Central BBQ.

George

I have to disagree with you. Phoenix isn't a real university and Southwest is a community college. The UofM know what it is and seems to be encouraging it with the increasing number of satalite campuses, which I think is great.  But everyone has an opinion.

Off topic. How'd you like the Arch program? I was 2 years into it before heading on a different path. I know they were trying to get a professional M.Arch but were getting push back. I'd love to finish that degree up some time.

Link Posted: 12/31/2014 1:25:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The UofM know what it is and seems to be encouraging it with the increasing number of satalite campuses, which I think is great. But everyone has opinion.
How'd you like the Arch program? I was 2 years into it before heading on a different path. I know they were trying to get a professional M.Arch but were getting push back. love to finish degree up some time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am at the UofM (at age 47) completing my Architecture Degree I gave up on in the 80s, Bastards made me start over except for my gen-eds. I will say, it is a FINE University. That "Tiger High" bullshite is just that. Bullshite. It's not a commuter school. There are commuters that attend (like myself), but over half live in the dorms or rent in the neighborhood adjacent to campus. A commuter school has no dorms, like Southwest or Phoenix.  

The UofM know what it is and seems to be encouraging it with the increasing number of satalite campuses, which I think is great. But everyone has opinion.
How'd you like the Arch program? I was 2 years into it before heading on a different path. I know they were trying to get a professional M.Arch but were getting push back. love to finish degree up some time.

Let's just say, it's a necessary evil. got M.Arch program accredited by NAAB a couple of years ago, and it was retro-active for for years or something like that. I'll just say this... If you make it through the Arch program all 6 years, you have done something few people can do. I still consider dropping out and just rolling with my pre-professional degree, but if I did that, I would be restricted to TN, and I plan to move to the Ozarks sooner rather than later.

"Commuter school" is used to insult the university and it's alumni. Is Ole Miss a commuter school? They have a satellite campus in Olive Branch. UTMartin is getting one in Somerville. I sense that YOU are not insulting UofM in that way, but that moniker is used as a weapon by a lot of Ol' Miss fans and UT fans to belittle us. Which is cool, all's fare in love and war and college football... Just stop dodging us when we are good at FB. The latest is, they refuse to schedule the return game that ends the current FB contract.  

Anyway,
Cheers
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 1:48:21 PM EDT
[#22]
You  know, this 2000 characters limitation for new accounts crap is ridiculous. First off, I've been here over a year, so my account is not "new", and secondly, it forces you into pairing the true meaning out of your post. What is the point? Is this Twitter? Are you trying to prevent someone getting an account and then going on an evangelical rampage?

Seriously, and this is directed at the Administrators of this site, I suggest looking into whatever templates these guys use.  http://csnbbs.com/forum-499.html

Notice how everything is more readable. And when you are a member of these forums, you can see sub-forums visitors cannot see. and you can set your settings to 50 posts per page. And you can actually use the search function for more than 30 days prior.

PLUS!!! There is no 2000 character restriction. You could write freakin War and Peace. If people don't want to read it, that's the poster's problem.

Just a suggestion...
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 2:54:29 PM EDT
[#23]
UM has come a long way in the past decade that I've noticed.  After visiting the campus, it wasn't even an option for me back in 99 when I went to FSU.  There have been a lot of changes and almost all for the better IMO.
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 6:41:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 4:12:05 AM EDT
[#25]
Would love to. But looking at the thousands of buttons on this interface, I don't even know where to start looking....
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 1:44:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Would love to. But looking at the thousands of buttons on this interface, I don't even know where to start looking....
View Quote

Site help forums

Post your issues there. Someone should be around soon.
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 2:33:43 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Site help forums

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Site help forums

Posted some hours ago there. Thanks. 17 views and no responses yet.

Where you at, gotigers? Memphis proper?  
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 3:14:44 PM EDT
[#28]
geosnooker -

You say that UoM is not a commuter school... You think that detracts from the experience of going there? If i do plan on attending that school, i would have to stick to commuting for cost reasons. And i do understand the "you get what you want out of the education" part. But anyways, I just lined a job up for myself, so i have to get back into the saving mode so i can go back to school. I will also be curious how many credits from my associates degree will transfer... if any. But ill cross that bridge when i get there.

Ive been to a few bbq places so far, "one and only" and "the commissars" were incredible, especially their bbq nachos. Ive been sticking to pulled pork sandwiches, no ribs quite yet. I know i will make it over to Tops soon though.

WOW that motorcycle club meets super close to me. I have no excuse now to go riding with them. I hope they still are active... Site still has a 2009 copyright....
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 3:24:25 PM EDT
[#29]
He's saying that "commuter school" is an unfair rock being thrown at UM by other Universities....that are doing the same thing.  Not that you/people don't commute to school - shit, I make the maddening drive down 40/Sam Cooper all week when school is in.  He's not saying you have to live in the dorms.

Talk to UM about what can/will transfer in.  Provided you attended a legit school, a lot will carry over.
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 3:39:39 PM EDT
[#30]
I've heard "One and Only" is very good, although I haven't tried it yet.

UofM will recognize credits from many universities and colleges that some departments will not. For instance, I am in the Department of Architecture, and one of my classmates wanted to take Physics at Southwest over the Summer to get it out of the way for his Fall class load. The department said for his major (Architecture) they would only accept Physics from UofM. OTOH, I took Art History II at Southwest on line, and that was fine with the Department of Architecture, so it's a case-by-case basis. Some departments may not care at all. Some departments may have certain restrictions on certain types of classes.

If you don't mind telling us, what is your area of study?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:34:43 PM EDT
[#31]
forgot to reply, my bad.

Right now ive got an associates in criminal justice. Which is why i have an associates. Im trying to figure out if i want to continue all the way, or possibly get into a new degree path.... I cant honestly answer that question myself at this point in my life. I Hate the fact i have to choose 1 thing at my youngish age to seemingly live with for the rest of my life. So im not quick to rush my decision and spend money on classes ill decide to switch later. (i took many extra credits in classes like computer science, photography, psychology to try and see if i liked them... Well i liked them all... well maybe the computer science on wasnt that great but i still got an A.) And i still havent found the one skill i have in my life that i am specifically good at. I am decent at a lot of different things, but not so much that any one thing stands out so im stuck endlessly changing my direction of thought.

If any of that makes any sense of course. So in the meantime, ive found a job i can work full time at so ill just keep saving for something i dont know i want yet.

And another thought process in my mind is this: I dont mind spending money to take classes that wont actually help me get a degree per say. I take classes because i want to enjoy them. Not to get some paper that says you earned all your credits for a piece of paper.

Sorry, ill stop my ranting. Its late.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top