Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/27/2013 1:52:55 PM EDT
Hey Tennesseans, I am looking to buy a lower receiver online but i am having trouble identifying a decent FFL holder. All the big shops I called charge 40 plus dollars just to receive it and then I have to pay for the background check. My local buddy at kwikrnu isnt able to do it anymore so now I have to find another, does anybody know someone? or is there somewhere I can find a decently priced stripped lower receiver in Nashville/surrounding counties?
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 3:02:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Check your IMs...
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 6:07:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Nashville Gun Co. charges $25 for transfer. Located in Old Hickory, TN.
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 7:47:55 PM EDT
[#3]
bellshire hardware - ask for Phil.

been going there for years.

Link Posted: 11/29/2013 7:06:10 AM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Nashville Gun Co. charges $25 for transfer. Located in Old Hickory, TN.
View Quote

I now go here for all of my needs.
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 4:33:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Why isn't kwikrnu able to do transfers anymore?  Isn't that the name our old friend Leonard Embody goes by?
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 4:39:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Why isn't kwikrnu able to do transfers anymore?  Isn't that the name our old friend Leonard Embody goes by?
View Quote

If I'm not mistaken, it has to do with his pending court case related to his walking downtown Nashville overtly wearing body armor while carrying a suppressed AR in a molded kydex case.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 2:48:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

If I'm not mistaken, it has to do with his pending court case related to his walking downtown Nashville overtly wearing body armor while carrying a suppressed AR in a molded kydex case.
View Quote

Sounds like fun. I'm surprised more folks don't try that...............    
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 7:11:12 AM EDT
[#8]
ETA:  I see I was already here
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 9:41:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
bellshire hardware - ask for Phil.

been going there for years.

View Quote

I checked them out today. Nice place, and good people. Thanks for the heads up on them Fin.
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 7:31:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Yeah Leonard Embody. He got into some shit, but oddly enough the kydex holster for the ar was empty, it was just the case with a lock , at least that's what I've heard. I saw Nashville gun co at the show this past weekend, nice guys
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 2:17:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Yeah Leonard Embody. He got into some shit, but oddly enough the kydex holster for the ar was empty, it was just the case with a lock , at least that's what I've heard.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Yeah Leonard Embody. He got into some shit, but oddly enough the kydex holster for the ar was empty, it was just the case with a lock , at least that's what I've heard.

Not sure where you heard that, but it was reported he was carrying a slung AR with a suppressor attached.

I saw Nashville gun co at the show this past weekend, nice guys

I was off this weekend..............    
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 6:25:42 AM EDT
[#12]
According to this story http://www.guns.com/2013/07/31/supressed-ar-15-body-armor-and-a-stroll-downtown-tn-gun-activist-gets-detained/

It looks like he had a suppressed AR in the "case".

Also, so much for the "you don't have to show the cops your NFA forms" crowd.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 3:39:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
According to this story http://www.guns.com/2013/07/31/supressed-ar-15-body-armor-and-a-stroll-downtown-tn-gun-activist-gets-detained/

It looks like he had a suppressed AR in the "case".

Also, so much for the "you don't have to show the cops your NFA forms" crowd.
View Quote

Under TN state law, suppressors (and various other NFA items) are illegal.  The reason we can legally own them, is that the law creates an exception for any NFA items which we have obtained the proper NFA paperwork for.

Embody seems to have focused on the federal law (which probably doesn't require him to show the NFA paperwork to local cops), but he was most likely charged under state law (which is written to presume the suppressor is illegal, unless he proves it isn't by showing the NFA paperwork).

ETA:  TCA 39-17-1302 is most likely what he was charged under.  

If he had the NFA paperwork, showing it was registered to him in the NFA registry, that would be a "defense to prosecution".  

Being a dealer would probably not apply to the situation, since TCA 39-17-1302 apparently limits dealer possession to their place of business or where they are actively engaged in trying to sell the item in question.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 9:43:11 AM EDT
[#14]
yup.

If the law asks, gotta produce the papers.

however, under normal circumstances where one would have NFA items (range, woods, the farm, etc...) my experience is that the law is going to assume your legal and not say a thing. The whole "look the part aspect" as in law abiding citizen.

Unless your being stupid or represent certain demographics.

Walking around downtown like a fool will result in issues.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 12:33:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Tennessee law does not state that the papers must be produced. Tennessee cops can't require people to show confidential federal tax forms.
The cops say that Embody had the form 3 in the case with the gun, but the charges still haven't been dropped. In the you tube video of the preliminary hearing the cop says they found a form 3 in the gun case.

http://www.kwikrnuarms.com/state_of_tennessee_v_embody.htm

39-17-1302.  Prohibited weapons.

(a) A person commits an offense who intentionally or knowingly possesses, manufactures, transports, repairs or sells:

(5) A firearm silencer;

(b) It is a defense to prosecution under this section that the person's conduct:

(7) Involved acquisition or possession of a sawed-off shotgun, sawed-off rifle, machine gun or firearm silencer that is validly registered to the person under federal law in the National Firearms Registration and Transfer Records. A person who acquires or possesses a firearm registered as required by this subdivision (b)(7) shall retain proof of registration; or

(2) An offense under subdivisions (a)(2)-(5) is a Class E felony.

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 3:46:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Tennessee law does not state that the papers must be produced.
View Quote

Might I ask how someone from Ohio wandered in the TN forum?  
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 4:26:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Tennessee law does not state that the papers must be produced. Tennessee cops can't require people to show confidential federal tax forms.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tennessee state law says it is a prohibited weapon.  PROHIBITED.  The cops see you with it, they know you are in possession of a prohibited weapon.

BUT, it is a defense to prosecution to have the federal paperwork.  If you show the cop the paperwork, they know you are legally in possession of it.

So you have a choice of showing the cop your paperwork if he asks for it, or you can wait and show the paperwork to the judge.  Feel free to stand on principal and hold out for your chance to show the paperwork to a judge.  Most people don't have time for that, and would probably prefer to not have a felony arrest record.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:06:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Tennessee state law says it is a prohibited weapon.  PROHIBITED.  The cops see you with it, they know you are in possession of a prohibited weapon.

BUT, it is a defense to prosecution to have the federal paperwork.  If you show the cop the paperwork, they know you are legally in possession of it.

So you have a choice of showing the cop your paperwork if he asks for it, or you can wait and show the paperwork to the judge.  Feel free to stand on principal and hold out for your chance to show the paperwork to a judge.  Most people don't have time for that, and would probably prefer to not have a felony arrest record.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

His silencer was carried in a case, and the paper work inside the case. How did the cops know he had a silencer in the case? I watched the videos and he didn't tell them. As I showed no law says that the papers have to be shown to the cops. In searching Embody the cops found the ownership papers.
He says the cops and prosecutors have the papers. I listened to the court recording and the cop admits to having found the papers. If that is true, why is he still charged?

I heard of the case on the internet and have followed it. I set up a google alert to email me when anything with his name shows up.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:53:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

His silencer was carried in a case, and the paper work inside the case. How did the cops know he had a silencer in the case?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

His silencer was carried in a case, and the paper work inside the case. How did the cops know he had a silencer in the case?

The "case" was a homemade kydex case that was formed to fit tightly around an AR-15 with a suppressor attached to the muzzle.  From a distance, it looked like an AR-15 with a suppressor attached, instead of a tight fitting case wrapped around an AR-15 with a suppressor attached.

The cops were trying to determine if he was carrying a loaded rifle (which is illegal to do, where he was doing it).  He refused to answer their questions, when they asked if the rifle was loaded, so they opened the case to determine if the rifle was loaded.  Once open, they saw the suppressor and asked about the NFA paperwork, and he again refused to answer their questions.

This was shown in the video Embody posted to the internet (video he recorded of the incident), shortly after his arrest.

I watched the videos and he didn't tell them.

He refused to tell them anything.  

As I showed no law says that the papers have to be shown to the cops.

But you showed that it was a prohibited weapon.  Once the cops knew he had it, they knew he was in possession of a prohibited weapon.  They had grounds to arrest him.

In searching Embody the cops found the ownership papers.
He says the cops and prosecutors have the papers. I listened to the court recording and the cop admits to having found the papers. If that is true, why is he still charged?

Do you understand "defense to prosecution"?  It does not mean "I get out of jail free, you can't touch me".  It does mean a decent defense lawyer can easily win your case.

But Embody has a history of representing himself, and doing it poorly...

Embody has a history of making posts in legal advice forums, asking questions such as how to file a lawsuit that will guarantee a cop gets fired, or how to win an award for violation of his rights.  Asking how to get charges dropped, would not be a step toward his goal, since dropped charges would lessen the claimed suffering for violation of his rights.

I heard of the case on the internet and have followed it. I set up a google alert to email me when anything with his name shows up.

Maybe you should dig a little more into his history.

He is not a "gun rights advocate", and he made that completely clear in his statements on the Tennessean's website, after his first exposure in the local news.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 8:20:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 9:07:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Go away Leonard.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The cops say that Embody had the form 3 in the case with the gun, but the charges still haven't been dropped. In the you tube video of the preliminary hearing the cop says they found a form 3 in the gun case.

http://www.kwikrnuarms.com/state_of_tennessee_v_embody.htm

39-17-1302.  Prohibited weapons.

(a) A person commits an offense who intentionally or knowingly possesses, manufactures, transports, repairs or sells:

(5) A firearm silencer;

(b) It is a defense to prosecution under this section that the person's conduct:

(7) Involved acquisition or possession of a sawed-off shotgun, sawed-off rifle, machine gun or firearm silencer that is validly registered to the person under federal law in the National Firearms Registration and Transfer Records. A person who acquires or possesses a firearm registered as required by this subdivision (b)(7) shall retain proof of registration; or

(2) An offense under subdivisions (a)(2)-(5) is a Class E felony.

Go away Leonard.

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:52:09 AM EDT
[#22]
I thought that sounded a little "Familiar".
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 10:25:58 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

His silencer was carried in a case, and the paper work inside the case. How did the cops know he had a silencer in the case? I watched the videos and he didn't tell them. As I showed no law says that the papers have to be shown to the cops. In searching Embody the cops found the ownership papers.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

you are Leonard.

we need to get the familiar police in here.

ETA: finished reading and saw they were.

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 12:18:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:07:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Go away Leonard.
View Quote

What a sad person.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top