Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/8/2012 1:29:21 PM EDT
If you have a TN CCW permit can you have a loaded AR pistol in your vehicle?
Link Posted: 4/8/2012 3:03:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/8/2012 4:25:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Hell, you could carry it with a Beta mag.

I thought about that, with the HK SP89.

HKO
Link Posted: 4/8/2012 4:52:49 PM EDT
[#3]
With the TN Handgun Carry Permit, you can now (I think the change was made last year?) have a loaded AR rifle in the car, as long as there is no round in the chamber.  With an AR pistol (legally considered a handgun) you can have it loaded and have a round in the chamber (if you have a valid Handgun Carry Permit).
Link Posted: 4/8/2012 6:42:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Was thinking that it would be nice to have a weapon cartridge more powerful than a pistol round. In a "pistol" configuration but able to hit/engage at 100 or 150 meters if necessary and with the accompanying high-capacity blanana clips! All done legally as I now understand it to be.
Link Posted: 4/8/2012 7:42:52 PM EDT
[#5]
If you just want to have it in your vehicle, a rifle would make a ton more sense.  AR pistols are pretty much toys.  If shit went bad and you needed to make shots that far, the stock would be more than slightly helpful.  At that point, the concealability offered by a pistol would be irrelevant anyhow.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/9/2012 2:37:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Its a pistol and you can legally do it but I'd just carry a rifle with an empty chamber.
Link Posted: 4/9/2012 5:40:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Its a pistol and you can legally do it but I'd just carry a rifle with an empty chamber.

I thought you couldn't have a loaded mag for a rifle anywhere near it in a vehicle???

FWIW, this is what I was referring to. I have since put a CAA stock saddle on it and it has the Aimpoint T-1 so I feel confident that with a good cheek weld I can hit at intermediate distances. It's 5.45x39 and has an 11" barrel so it isn't one of those 7-inchers or anything. It's zeroed at 50 yards and I'm going to do some 100yd plinking today to test my theory.

Link Posted: 4/9/2012 6:42:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought you couldn't have a loaded mag for a rifle anywhere near it in a vehicle???

FWIW, this is what I was referring to. I have since put a CAA stock saddle on it and it has the Aimpoint T-1 so I feel confident that with a good cheek weld I can hit at intermediate distances. It's 5.45x39 and has an 11" barrel so it isn't one of those 7-inchers or anything. It's zeroed at 50 yards and I'm going to do some 100yd plinking today to test my theory.

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd187/ABNAK/im000593.jpg

Law changed last year, IF YOU HAVE A PERMIT TO CARRY, you can have a loaded long gun as long as the chamber is empty in the vehicle. See the legal sticky at the top of the HTF page.
Link Posted: 4/9/2012 6:52:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

You can't............unless you have a TN HCP.  Then, you can carry a rifle with a loaded mag, but you cannot have a round in the chamber.  The law changed  a while back.

Edit:  Too slow.  

Edit#2:  Also, make sure the pistol barrel is less than 12" in length.  Anything larger, and you no longer meet the definition of a "handgun" under the TCA.

Link Posted: 4/9/2012 7:53:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Been wanting to build an AR handgun for some time now. With the new ATF tech letter stating a MagPul AFG is legal to put on an AR handgun, I may have to build one now.
Link Posted: 4/10/2012 6:51:19 AM EDT
[#11]
What if you DON'T have a permit to carry?  Are you allowed to have an AR in the vehicle if it is not loaded?
Link Posted: 4/10/2012 7:59:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
What if you DON'T have a permit to carry?  Are you allowed to have an AR in the vehicle if it is not loaded?

Yes, you can have one if it is not loaded. But having a loaded mag, even if not in the gun, is considered a "loaded" weapon.
Link Posted: 4/10/2012 8:47:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, you can have one if it is not loaded. But having a loaded mag, even if not in the gun, is considered a "loaded" weapon.

Thanks. I knew there was some kind of catch.
Link Posted: 4/10/2012 4:56:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks. I knew there was some kind of catch.

Depending on which cop stops you, having ammunition near the rifle (without one or the other being in a locked case) is considered a loaded weapon, in Tennessee.
Link Posted: 4/10/2012 5:09:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Been wanting to build an AR handgun for some time now. With the new ATF tech letter stating a MagPul AFG is legal to put on an AR handgun, I may have to build one now.

This has been the straw on the camel's back for me too.  Nothing to hang on to was my holdback, and I didn't want to alter my rifle shooting style just for this.

BUT, with the AFG........
Link Posted: 4/10/2012 5:46:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
If you just want to have it in your vehicle, a rifle would make a ton more sense.  AR pistols are pretty much toys.  If shit went bad and you needed to make shots that far, the stock would be more than slightly helpful.  At that point, the concealability offered by a pistol would be irrelevant anyhow.

Not necessarily, there are several conceivable situations where having a powerful/concealed firearm would be advantageous.  The TN asshat with the Draco not withstanding, I have been running a Draco out of one of the 5.11 sling bags in 3 gun. I use it as my rifle.  I can easily make hits on man sized steel @ 200 yards. I consistently place at the 50% mark in competitions. That's with me running iron sights and out of a bag with my "rifle" against AR's with optics.

See YouTube skillgarden, 423aaron, & shooterrus for some vids. See tac2.net for my 3gun match results. Look for Aaron H.
Link Posted: 4/10/2012 5:48:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Could you shoot me a link to this letter? I'd like to give it a shot on my Draco.
Link Posted: 4/11/2012 7:29:24 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You can't............unless you have a TN HCP. Then, you can carry a rifle with a loaded mag, but you cannot have a round in the chamber. The law changed a while back.

What if you have a carry permit issued by another state that is recognized by Tennessee?

Link Posted: 4/11/2012 7:49:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

You can't............unless you have a TN HCP. Then, you can carry a rifle with a loaded mag, but you cannot have a round in the chamber. The law changed a while back.

What if you have a carry permit issued by another state that is recognized by Tennessee?

The TN Dept of Safety's FAQ on its web site is unclear.  Some states issue a "weapons permit", allowing the holder to carry anything they desire (handgun, long gun, knife, club, etc), which is broader in scope than the TN law.  The web site says that persons holding such a "weapons permit" are authorized only to carry a handgun in TN.

I'm not sure how the change in our laws a couple of years ago that allow a loaded mag/no-chambered round long gun in your vehicle may affect that.  I'll check & see what I can find out.

David

TFA Online

TFA Forum

TFA on Facebook
Link Posted: 4/11/2012 9:03:52 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you just want to have it in your vehicle, a rifle would make a ton more sense. AR pistols are pretty much toys. If shit went bad and you needed to make shots that far, the stock would be more than slightly helpful. At that point, the concealability offered by a pistol would be irrelevant anyhow.

Not necessarily, there are several conceivable situations where having a powerful/concealed firearm would be advantageous. The TN asshat with the Draco not withstanding, I have been running a Draco out of one of the 5.11 sling bags in 3 gun. I use it as my rifle. I can easily make hits on man sized steel @ 200 yards. I consistently place at the 50% mark in competitions. That's with me running iron sights and out of a bag with my "rifle" against AR's with optics.

See YouTube skillgarden, 423aaron, & shooterrus for some vids. See tac2.net for my 3gun match results. Look for Aaron H.

Do any of them not involve zombies or high risk EP work?  Either way, the Draco is a pistol, so the point is moot.  

IMO - If you're in a vehicle and you need to employ a long gun, having a CHP and needing to just rack the CH on the rifle that's got a loaded mag already in it is a way better option than compromising on the firearm itself.  (i.e. getting an AR pistol, or as we sometimes call them "ARbortions" or "AIDS cannons")  If things are that bad that you need the rifle, you're already dismounting from the vehicle and deciding not to just get out of there, so shit must have gotten really bad at this hypothetical point in time.  Not sure about you, but if I'm about to rock out with a rifle-caliber firearm, concealability is not really high on my list of things that I'm worried about.

I hate hypotheticals.
Link Posted: 4/11/2012 10:48:11 AM EDT
[#21]
'Draco' with a 100 round Chinese drum is the wife's house gun.  As soon as I get mine built it will be my truck gun also!
Link Posted: 4/12/2012 1:55:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
With the TN Handgun Carry Permit, you can now (I think the change was made last year?) have a loaded AR rifle in the car, as long as there is no round in the chamber.  With an AR pistol (legally considered a handgun) you can have it loaded and have a round in the chamber (if you have a valid Handgun Carry Permit).

correct
Link Posted: 4/13/2012 10:42:43 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
'Draco' with a 100 round Chinese drum is the wife's house gun.  As soon as I get mine built it will be my truck gun also!

Link Posted: 4/13/2012 12:48:44 PM EDT
[#24]
That was great  i have got to get me one of those tactical rocks too
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top