Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2011 6:38:17 AM EDT
Looking to get some medical Ins. for myself. I am 25 and a non smoker. Looking for something with dental but I also can't afford a huge premium. Any suggestions? Farm Bureau sells BCBS for 98$ a month with a 1500 deductible for anything besides routine stuff.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 12:14:36 PM EDT
[#1]
No suggestions but I can tell you I pay 44 bucks every two weeks for BCBS with dental and vision purchased through work. I do have lower deductibles but my employer throws their share in there too.  Doesnt sound like a terrible deal.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 8:56:38 AM EDT
[#2]
What you were quoted sounds pretty good to me considering you are not getting a "group" rate, such as through work.

I pay about $350 a month for BCBS through work. Medical, dental, and a small life polocy. That's for family coverage. My employer pays the other $400+. And thats with a $3000 deductible.

People that work at a place where their insurance is low, don't realize how much insurance really costs. (their employer does) If it were not for my little girl I would have dropped mine this year. It's only a matter of time before I will have to anyway. Every year our deductible and maximum out of pocket goes up. We have to just to keep the premium bearable. Basicly we have catastrophic care. Anything less would not exceed the deductible anyway.

Coincidentally ours started going through the roof right after Obamacare was announced. Thank you again Mr. President.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 1:09:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Youre lucky you are single.  Family coverage for me and my kids through Farm Bureau was 1200 a month.  My former employer I paid 676 a month for all of it.  Cobra is 1400 for just the medical.

Insurance has gotten outrageously expensive and then they fight every bill because they don't want to pay it.  

Po-Po
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 3:08:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Based on personal experience, dental is not worth bothering with.  

Around 15 years ago, my daughter's pediatrician advised just putting aside the money I would spend on dental insurance, and using that savings when it was needed for dental visits.  I heeded that advice for 10 years, then decided to add dental after worrying about the possibility of braces for my daughter.  On the first visit to the dentist, a year after adding dental to my medical insurance, I found out the pediatrician was right, when the insurance paid only $20 of the bill, and questions about the cost of braces included answers about how little I could expect the insurance to pay.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 6:29:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Only reason I want dental is I have a wisdom tooth that needs to be removed.
Think I will go ahead and get the plan started. Its only 100 a month so hopefully it won't break the bank
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 8:23:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Dave Ramsey always promotes Zanders Ins. in middle T'N. might try them and see what they can offer. They shop around for you. I have never done business with them, but have heard a few people who have say good things.
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 7:32:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Think I will go ahead and get the plan started. Its only 100 a month so hopefully it won't break the bank

You should check the plan provisions.  Most dental plans have a "waiting period" before they will cover major dental services (like crowns, root canals, tooth removal, etc....).  I had to be on my dental plan for 1 year before they would cover any of those types of services.

If your wisdom tooth is impacted, then your regular medical insurance will probably cover most of the costs.  Mine paid about 70% of the cost to have all four of mine removed.
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 7:54:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You should check the plan provisions.  Most dental plans have a "waiting period" before they will cover major dental services (like crowns, root canals, tooth removal, etc....).  I had to be on my dental plan for 1 year before they would cover any of those types of services.

If your wisdom tooth is impacted, then your regular medical insurance will probably cover most of the costs.  Mine paid about 70% of the cost to have all four of mine removed.

Yep.  Drawing on fuzzy memory of things that happened in the 1990's, the (now ex-) wife had to wait a year before her insurance would cover some major work she needed.  And two of my wisdom teeth were impacted, so extraction of all four went on the medical (again, fuzzy memory) insurance.

ETA:  We changed insurance several times at a company I worked for through most of the past 12 years.  Each time, all of the employees had to fill out forms with questions about medical history and pre-existing medical conditions.  Best insurance we had (Blue Cross Blue Shield) got cancelled when the insurance company found out that one asshole lied on the forms.
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 8:52:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Yeah my tooth isn't bad yet and its a 6 month waiting period. So I can tough it out worst case. But have a few things that I am fearing going wrong and want to make sure I have some sort of coverage.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top