Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/25/2011 9:37:38 PM EDT

Saw a commercial on TV for a Gun Show in Murfreesboro this weekend.

Anyone been to this one?

Any good?

Was planning to attend the one in Hopkinsville, Ky this weekend, simply because it was going on.

Last time I went (2 years ago) it was not that great, and prices were high $.

Not really shopping for anything in particular.

The drive is about the same for me either way.

Link Posted: 1/26/2011 6:33:51 AM EDT
[#1]
It's usually a pretty good show.  The place is an old factory, and has one huge open room with flourescent lighting.  Usually pretty well attended by dealers.  I'll have a couple of tables of militaria, C&R guns, and stuff to help clean out my garage.  My wife lets me do that about twice a year as long as I come back with less than I left with!
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 5:08:36 PM EDT
[#2]
This is an RK show & is usually pretty decent. Now that the SHOT show is over with, folks like J&T should be there in force, IMO.

Big John tells me there's also a RK show in Feb in Franklin. Looks like RK might be trying to out-Goodman the Goodman shows & have one every month somewhere in mid-TN? Sadly, the more shows we have, the more the quality goes down, IMO.  
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 1:46:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Anybody know if the Glock Specialty dealer is going to be there?  I ask as I need a couple things for the New Model 20 I traded for.
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 2:55:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Anybody know if the Glock Specialty dealer is going to be there?  I ask as I need a couple things for the New Model 20 I traded for.

There's usually two different Glock guys there. Not sure which one you mean. One is a former Marine, FWIW.

As an owner of a 20SF myself, may I ask what you're upgrading/changing?
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 4:12:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Adding extended slide release, mag release catch, steel main spring rod, and extended take down release.  Basic reliability add ons.  Later on I plan on replacing the current dim night sights.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 8:23:52 AM EDT
[#6]
I just left. Its ridiculous. You can't look at anything there are so many people. Every time I stopped to look at something, give people would crowd around me to look st the same thing. They're going to end up getting shut down by the fire marshall
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 2:40:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Sat is always THE worst day to go. Sun is the day to go, IMO.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 3:14:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Wasted trip for me as NEITHER Glock guys were there.  Alot of normal dealers were NOT there this time also.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 3:51:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Wasted trip for me as NEITHER Glock guys were there.  Alot of normal dealers were NOT there this time also.

Agreed, the gun show was a waste. Though, the day wasn't a total loss. I did buy this at On Target.

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 4:16:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Define "normal"..............    
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 5:37:00 PM EDT
[#11]
My Buddy didn't want to make the drive, so we ended up meeting at the one in Hopkinsville, KY.

It was small, packed, and almost everyone thought their stuff was worth top dollar.
Think I will hit the next Nashville Show when it comes around.

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 5:49:06 PM EDT
[#12]
I saw some decent prices on ammo, some interesting C&R guns, and saw some decent bargains in guns.  There seems to be a run on M16 magazines again.  I sold a bunch of mine.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 4:08:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed, the gun show was a waste. Though, the day wasn't a total loss. I did buy this at On Target.

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn183/bdawg998/012911184805.jpg

I saw that Kimber and was SORELY tempted!  You evidently did good.  Congratulations.

Bob 'normal' is such a relative term.  LOL  Did not see the two Glock guys, Steve from Knoxville, Dan that used to own VOW and a couple more that used to always make the M'boro show.  

It did however leave a large area in the back for folks to do private sales and trades, which was a relief from in the aisles and in front of dealers tables.

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 4:38:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Any jump in the Saiga shottie pricing there?
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 6:55:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I saw that Kimber and was SORELY tempted!  You evidently did good.  Congratulations.

Bob 'normal' is such a relative term.  LOL  Did not see the two Glock guys, Steve from Knoxville, Dan that used to own VOW and a couple more that used to always make the M'boro show.  

It did however leave a large area in the back for folks to do private sales and trades, which was a relief from in the aisles and in front of dealers tables.

Yeah, everything I read about it just screamed good deal. They told me the guy that traded it in took it out on the range, fired two rounds through it, brought it in and said he didn't want it and to trade it for something. So I'm sure he got hosed on the trade or something. Oh well, worked out for me. I got a chance to put a hand full of rounds through it last night. Fired 21 rounds flawlessly. I know it's not a lot but I may have a chance to go put some more through it in the morning. The only problem I've found is that it doesn't have the Kimber take down tool so I'm going to have to order one unless someone knows how to tear it down without it.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 7:50:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, everything I read about it just screamed good deal. They told me the guy that traded it in took it out on the range, fired two rounds through it, brought it in and said he didn't want it and to trade it for something. So I'm sure he got hosed on the trade or something. Oh well, worked out for me. I got a chance to put a hand full of rounds through it last night. Fired 21 rounds flawlessly. I know it's not a lot but I may have a chance to go put some more through it in the morning. The only problem I've found is that it doesn't have the Kimber take down tool so I'm going to have to outset one unless someone knows how to tear it down without it.

Tearing down is easy.

Putting it back together...  well you didn't say anything about that.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:52:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The only problem I've found is that it doesn't have the Kimber take down tool so I'm going to have to order one unless someone knows how to tear it down without it.

It's a 1911, yes? So what is the take-down tool for, exactly?
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:59:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The only problem I've found is that it doesn't have the Kimber take down tool so I'm going to have to order one unless someone knows how to tear it down without it.

My memory is a bit blurred on which manufacturers have done this, but I think Kimber is one that did use a full length guide rod in their compact versions of the 1911.  On the reviews I have read on the topic (can't remember if I've read this specificly about Kimber or not) a tool is needed for normal field stripping, since you can't just turn the barrel bushing to take the compression off the recoil spring.  If I recall correctly (never tried it myself on a model that had a full length guide rod), taking it apart can be done by fighting the spring and moving the slide to the point where you can pull the slide catch, but putting it back together is a bit more trouble.

And why is it that when I'm trying to figure out how far I can stretch my tax return toward materials for a house foundation, people keep posting pictures of stuff that makes me go "I could buy one of those when I get my return"?
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 5:22:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Went Saturday, got rid of an AR, picked up some other stuff I needed. I guess with the President planning on making an announcement pretty soon about "Gun Control" People really seemed to be out to get it before they cant anymore. Normal prices from what I could tell. Its been a long time since I have seen that many people at a gun show.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 6:10:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Only Saiga I saw was $1400.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 7:45:49 AM EDT
[#21]

Anyone know when and where the next Nashville area show will be?

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 7:52:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My memory is a bit blurred on which manufacturers have done this, but I think Kimber is one that did use a full length guide rod in their compact versions of the 1911.  On the reviews I have read on the topic (can't remember if I've read this specificly about Kimber or not) a tool is needed for normal field stripping, since you can't just turn the barrel bushing to take the compression off the recoil spring.  If I recall correctly (never tried it myself on a model that had a full length guide rod), taking it apart can be done by fighting the spring and moving the slide to the point where you can pull the slide catch, but putting it back together is a bit more trouble.

And why is it that when I'm trying to figure out how far I can stretch my tax return toward materials for a house foundation, people keep posting pictures of stuff that makes me go "I could buy one of those when I get my return"?

This is correct, Kimber uses a full length guide rod. The tool helps by holding the tension off the spring, I believe. This is the first 1911 style pistol I've ever had so I've never had one apart. Working somewhere that sells guns, I've had just about everything else apart, Sigs, Glocks, Springfields, Taurus, Ruger, etc., but never the 1911s. I wasn't interested in them until recently.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 7:55:04 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

According to the link in the FAQ thread.
Feb 5-6 Nashville, Al Menah Shrine, 1354 Brick Church Pike 250 tbls $45 www.greatamericanpromotionsllc.com

and then

Feb 12-13 Franklin, Williamson County Ag Expo Park, 4212 Long Lane RK Shows 563-927-8176
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:00:00 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Feb 5-6 Nashville, Al Menah Shrine, 1354 Brick Church Pike 250 tbls $45 www.greatamericanpromotionsllc.com

and then

Feb 12-13 Franklin, Williamson County Ag Expo Park, 4212 Long Lane RK Shows 563-927-8176

Thanks.

After I posted, I told myself not to be so lazy and click on/search myself.

Going to stand in the corner for my timeout.......................................>

Thanks again.

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:24:35 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

and then

The Goodman show, at the Nashville Fairgrounds, is also listed as Feb 12-13.

And in March, the Goodman show is the same weekend as the Murfreesboro RK show.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:36:51 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is correct, Kimber uses a full length guide rod. The tool helps by holding the tension off the spring, I believe. This is the first 1911 style pistol I've ever had so I've never had one apart. Working somewhere that sells guns, I've had just about everything else apart, Sigs, Glocks, Springfields, Taurus, Ruger, etc., but never the 1911s. I wasn't interested in them until recently.

I've handled one or two that had the full length guide rod, but have only taken apart 1911's that did not have the full length guide rod, so I can't offer much more than saying I don't think I would want to try to put it back together without the tool.  Sorry I can't be of more help.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 4:59:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Actually, Springfield has a FLGR in their 1911 Micro model. Yes, it can be a bitch to get the rod out & they did in fact include a handy little plastic hald-moon device that clipped onto the rod to keep the spring compressed. But after a couple of times with mine, I no longer used the plastic device & easily slipped out the guide rod over the bbl foot. No clue if the Kimber is like this as I've never taken one of them down.

Seems like Kimber has a hole in their FLGR to allow a paper clip to slip thru in order to keep the spring compressed? Or am I thinking of another model?
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 5:03:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Goodman show in Nashville every month. Another RK show in Franklin in Feb. as I understand it. The Dec. Franklin show really sucked according to those who went.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top