Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/1/2010 7:42:00 PM EDT

I'll be riding to Deals Gap this weekend.  Is it OK to carry loaded in a motorcycle saddlebag?  Do I need to declare if I'm pulled over?

Thanks

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 2:58:11 AM EDT
[#1]
The first question would be, Do you have your carry permit?  If so... you should be good to go.  If not, unload your gun, and store the magazine in a different saddlebag...
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 3:49:33 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

The first question would be, Do you have your carry permit? If so... you should be good to go. If not, unload your gun, and store the magazine in a different saddlebag...

Of course.  It an Ohio license, which has reciprocal rights with Tennessee.

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 4:30:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I'll be riding to Deals Gap this weekend.  Is it OK to carry loaded in a motorcycle saddlebag?  Do I need to declare if I'm pulled over?

Given that you have a valid carry permit (you state that you do, from Ohio) and TN recognizes it (we do), then you are good to go.

You have no duty to "declare" to a LEO if you are stopped, but many consider it only courtesy to do so.  With a TN permit, they will
be notified you have a permit when they run your license (happens to be the same database, & the same number...how convenient!),
but probably not for an out-of-state permit.

Some recommend handing both your DL & HCP (handgun carry permit) to an officer if stopped.

It's your call to make...just remember that prudence, respect, and courtesy can go a long way.

David
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 6:52:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Thanks

Deal's Gap is actually in North Carolina, just across the TN state line. Ohio probably has a reciprocal agreement with them as well but I suppose you should check just to make sure.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 7:52:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

Deal's Gap is actually in North Carolina, just across the TN state line. Ohio probably has a reciprocal agreement with them as well but I suppose you should check just to make sure.

Deals gap where he will be riding is 10miles on the TN side and 1 mile in NC. He can avoid NC if he doesn't want to eat/shop at the store/get a sticker/fuel. However I will also be up there this Saturday in my Blue FJ60 Feel free to honk flip me the bird cause I will be holding up traffic more than likely.

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 5:17:49 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll be riding to Deals Gap this weekend. Is it OK to carry loaded in a motorcycle saddlebag? Do I need to declare if I'm pulled over?

Thanks

Sorry, I meant "the Dragon," but there's no town to reference.  I'll be on the 20-miles of US 129 that's north of the TN state line.  If I get pulled over anywhere on this trip, it's likekly to be here.

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 4:56:28 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm a little late with this reply.  But, also remember that you'll most likely be asked for your registration and proof of insurance in addition to your license.  Be sure to NOT have all this stuff in the same location as your weapon.  It could lead to a very awkward moment.  I keep my weapon on my person or in my hard bags, and my documents in a windshield bag.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:59:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
I'll be riding to Deals Gap this weekend. Is it OK to carry loaded in a motorcycle saddlebag? Do I need to declare if I'm pulled over?

Thanks

Sorry, I meant "the Dragon," but there's no town to reference.  I'll be on the 20-miles of US 129 that's north of the TN state line.  If I get pulled over anywhere on this trip, it's likekly to be here.

"The Dragon" ends about a mile into NC, at the intersection of US129 and NC28 (a.k.a Deals Gap), where most people stop at the motel/gas station for a break. There is also a lot of beautiful riding on the NC side, including NC28 that goes out toward Fontana Dam, and more of US129 that can take you over to the Cherohala Skyway.  It's all worth seeing if you have the time.  
By the way, I have seen both TN and NC LEO set up road blocks at the state line, and both of them patrol the area a lot more than they did 10 or 15 years ago, so watch your speed

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:46:59 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks

Sorry, I meant "the Dragon," but there's no town to reference. I'll be on the 20-miles of US 129 that's north of the TN state line. If I get pulled over anywhere on this trip, it's likekly to be here.

"The Dragon" ends about a mile into NC, at the intersection of US129 and NC28 (a.k.a Deals Gap), where most people stop at the motel/gas station for a break. There is also a lot of beautiful riding on the NC side, including NC28 that goes out toward Fontana Dam, and more of US129 that can take you over to the Cherohala Skyway. It's all worth seeing if you have the time.

By the way, I have seen both TN and NC LEO set up road blocks at the state line, and both of them patrol the area a lot more than they did 10 or 15 years ago, so watch your speed

Got back last night and hit all the routes you mentioned:  Rt 28 from Walhalla to Deals Gap, The Dragon, and Cherohala Skyway.

Awesome trip!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top