Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/31/2010 3:44:07 PM EDT
The spousal unit known hereafter as "Hubby" has a charter to Chattanooga this weekend and I'll be right seating with him. So, while the pax are doing their thing near Cleveland (Cleveland airfield apparently is too small for the AC), Hubby & I need reccomendations of a decent place in Chattanooga to stay Sat & Sun, and places to eat.

Anything special going on this weekend in CHT? A Gunshow perhaps?
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 4:47:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Whats your budget on place to stay? What kind of food do you like? also what price range?
There is a Sportsmans Warehouse that is a nice little outdoorsman store....
I dont know of any gunshows going on....Will check!
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 4:52:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Whats your budget on place to stay? What kind of food do you like? also what price range?
There is a Sportsmans Warehouse that is a nice little outdoorsman store....
I dont know of any gunshows going on....Will check!

This gun shows aroung here arent that great (what I hear) But you can check it out
Sep 4-5 Chattanooga, Camp Jordan Arena, 300 Camp Jordan Pkwy RK Shows 563-927-8176 email:[email protected]
Here is a link to a $1 off coupon

Link Posted: 8/31/2010 5:13:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Trying to keep the room under $100, the client pays, but like to stay on his good side if ya know what I mean.

As to the food issue.....Hubby stated and I quote...."Saturday night I want that Mexican stuff where they bring the meat strips out sizzling in the plate". (fajitas). So, Mexican Saturday night. Sunday's my choice so a nice steak OR seafood.

Gunshow?  I'll be there!

Any Arfcommers going to be set up?
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 6:02:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Trying to keep the room under $100, the client pays, but like to stay on his good side if ya know what I mean.

As to the food issue.....Hubby stated and I quote...."Saturday night I want that Mexican stuff where they bring the meat strips out sizzling in the plate". (fajitas). So, Mexican Saturday night. Sunday's my choice so a nice steak OR seafood.

Gunshow?  I'll be there! You sound like a good wife ;)

Any Arfcommers going to be set up?

I know Microtel is ok and cheap place. Its where my family stays when they come....its not really ritzy or anything. The nicer place I know is over $100.... so I cant tell you of a nice place under $100 Maybe somebody else can

Mexican I dont really do so I cant help, for steak or ribs I go to "Longhorn Steakhouse" Or my fave "Texas Roadhouse" They are Chains, but I know they are good....for a somewhat Local place I cant tell you, sorry.
For seafood....I am from Florida....Used to fresh seafood and nothing is really good up here....I am critical of seafood.
We do have a couple red lobsters....if you go to one, go to the one near Hamilton Place ( My opinion ), the one in Hixson seems to overcook the food.
Sorry I am not much good help to you, but hopefully some others will come help you ;)
Have fun in Chattanooga! :) If you havent been, Rock city is really nice!
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 7:30:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Check out the Chattanooga Choo Choo as a potential place to stay.  It  once was a Hilton, then a Holiday Inn––but appears to be an independent
business now....and has a variety of room prices.  http://www.choochoo.com/

If they fit your budget, consider getting one of the train cars.  They're old passenger cars, with the seats removed, a partition installed in the
middle, & transformed into a Victorian bedroom, one in each end of the car.  Pretty neat room.  Even if you don't stay there, it's worth a visit.

The best clustering of restaurants is around Hamilton Place Mall, which is on I-75, around the Shallowford Rd exit (Exit #7, I think...but could be
wrong about that).

The Pickle Barrel is a neat sandwich shop downtown, on Main, IIRC.  

Pisa Pizza (excellent pizza) is across the river from the Aquarium, near Coolidge Park––there's a neat antique carousel in that park.  Beware, though:  the
local parks are off-limits for carry (for us normal people who have a carry permit and are law-abiding, that is...for those who are not, then
then the laws obviously aren't meant to apply to them!)

Visit Lookout Mountain––particularly Point Park (Civil War––and carry is legal there, because it's a National Park), and consider riding the Incline Railway.  

If you're into trains, the Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum is one of the largest train museums in the South.  It's off Shallowford Rd, too.

Welcome to Tennessee!

David
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 8:49:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Sunset Rock is a neat place to visit. You up the mountain toward Lookout Mtn, but you keep going up, up, up. Its a little pull off and you'd never know what was out there unless you pulled off and walked down the trail. Its a really cool vantage point.
Here's a pic of a friend of mine looking over the edge.

And then a pic of the view.

As far as places to eat. I don't have any recommendations for mexican or seafood/steak. But, I do have a recommendations for some others. Sticky Fingers is a pretty good BBQ place, its right down town close to the aquarium. And then directly behind it, actually backing up to it on the next street, is a place called Taco Mac and they have all different types of food. If you like beer, you'll be in heaven in Taco Mac, they have almost 300 different beers, over 60 of them on tap.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 11:29:42 AM EDT
[#7]
There are a few nice hotels downtown. The closer to the river the better. Also lots of restaurants and attractions downtown. It is generally safe to walk around that area. Most things are within a few blocks of the river.

As someone mentioned, there are hotels and restaurants near the Hamilton Place mall which is closer to the Airport. I think downtown would be more fun.

The gun show is at Camp Jordan in East Ridge just off I75 a couple miles south of the I75 / I24 split.

Lookout Mtn will probably be a cool place to visit this weekend. There is a front moving through on Friday and the visibility should be really good after the weather passes through. Pass on the overpriced incline railway and drive up. If you go south on Lookout Mtn, there is a hang glider launching spot about 10 or 15 miles down. Hang glider info    Pretty cool place and there will probably be people flying if the wind is right.

Have fun.

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 5:52:44 PM EDT
[#8]
My wife and I like El Meson for mexican food.  It is located near Hamilton Place Mall off of Gunbarrel Rd.  

If you like Japanese steakhouses, Ichiban on East Brainerd is good

Gunshows at Camp Jordan are ok, but nothing to write home about.  If you go, check out the guy selling surefires.  Last time I was there he had good prices. Picked up a 6P for $40 tax included.

Don't know how much you want to spend for dinner, but the Bald Headed Bistro in Cleveland cannot be beat for steaks.  If you go, you need to plan on spending at least $100 for 2.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 6:27:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks guys!

And a bad day at a gunshow is STILL better than staying home doing chores!
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:10:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Did you make the trip to Chattanooga? How was it?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top