Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/14/2009 1:50:33 PM EDT
I have out of state police officer certification.  Moved to TN a year ago.  Not currently a LEO but work for Federal Gov.  Want to get my carry permit.   I was a firearms instructor at my department.  Will TN waive the class since I clearly have training and does anyone know what I have to do if they do.

Thanx.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:41:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I couldn't say for sure, but you might check here: http://tennessee.gov/safety/handgunmain.htm.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:21:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Ok from the site. so you think out of state certification would apply.  I think I will call I hope it applies.

"Qualifications That Must Be Met Before Applying for a Tennessee Handgun Carry Permit

* Effective July 1, 2005, all handgun permit applicants seeking a new, renewal or replacement permit must provide proof of U.S. Citizenship or Lawful Permanent Residency.
   * Effective July 1, 2005, Tennessee handgun carry permit law will now allow certain applicants already exempt from complying with firing range provisions of the current statute to also be exempt from any classroom requirements. Those current exceptions are applicants who prove to the department that within five (5) years from the date of application for handgun permit, the applicant has:
        1. Been certified by the police officer's standards and training commission, or
        2. successfully completed training at the law enforcement training academy; or
        3. successfully completed the firearms training course required for armed security guards; or
        4. successfully completed all handgun training of not less than four (4) hours as required by any branch of the military."

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top