Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/21/2009 7:32:08 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/21/2009 12:45:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't go to Puelo's on Cedar Bluff Road.  I am just getting over food poisoning from there Thursday night.  Spinach Quesadia dip DOES NOT taste good coming back up.  

Po-Po
Link Posted: 2/21/2009 1:14:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/21/2009 4:55:41 PM EDT
[#3]
For special occasions, and if you have the bucks, the Orangery is world-class.

40MIKE
Link Posted: 2/21/2009 5:06:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I  love  Calhouns'.  Theres  one  on  the  river  close  to  the  stadium,  one  off  of  Lovell Rd  in  the  Turkey  Creek  shopping  area,  and  one  on  Kingston  Pike (  It  may  or  may  not  be  called  that,  the  road  changes  names)

Aubreys  is  also  a  good  place
Link Posted: 2/21/2009 5:10:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Regas for Prime Rib.

Ye Olde Steak House for Filet Mignon and Woodshed Potatoes.

Bayou Bay for Seafood Gumbo.

Cumberland Grill for Burger, Fries and a Brew.

––––
Link Posted: 2/21/2009 5:42:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Foothills Milling Company in Maryville
Seasons in far west Knoxville
Little Bangkok on Campbell Station Rd.
Link Posted: 2/21/2009 6:20:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/22/2009 6:19:21 AM EDT
[#8]
What about the butcher shop down town for steaks?  One price you cook or they cook with all the trimmings?  24 oz sirloins etc.... etc....

po-po
Link Posted: 2/22/2009 10:20:11 AM EDT
[#9]
You can get you some pizza at Calhouns for half price on Tuesdays and its pretty darn good.  Also, the wife and I have recently found China Sun buffet on Kingston Pike by Walker Springs where the Rush, Sonic and Smoothie King are.  We also love Five guys, I ate there when I lived in Jacksonville and  you can't beat their burgers
Link Posted: 2/22/2009 10:50:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/23/2009 6:05:27 AM EDT
[#11]
If you want to try a couple of things that are different, here are two that I  recommend.

The Mirage Knoxville / Cairo Cafe on Gay Street.
it's a Mediterranean restaurant & lounge where you can either sit American style tables, or Middle Eastern style on pillows and knee high tables.  This one is really just for the loads of atmosphere.  If you're a "Steak and Potatoes" eater, you may not love the menu.  There are a few Entres, but a LOT of appetizers, mostly different dips served with warm Pita Bread.  After 9 or 10pm, it goes 21+ (because of the indoor smoking laws) and you can order a hookah for your table.
The best way to enjoy this is to have a few friends go with you (like 8 people total) and order all the different appetizers and hang out, smoke the Hookah (which is farily cheap, I thought, at $10 a bowl which will last your table the better part of an hour).  There are apparently Belly Dancers there on certain nights, but I've never been there at the right time.

The Melting Pot on North Central.
This one's a chain, but I was really impressed, especially for it to be hippy food! :P  Each table has its own Fondue warmer, and the meals are kind of "package" deals.  There are a few variations of what entre meats you get, but each meal comes with an appetizer, main course and desert. Most of the items are made for 2, so it's a nice place to take a date.  I consider it a little pricey, it cost about $100 including drinks, but I left really full.  Apparently they have a nice Wine selection, but there are no beers on tap! Luckily they do have a few brands in bottles.

For more normal stuff:

Wild Wing Cafe on Campbell Station Road. Another Chain, but I think it's the only one in TN. Tons of good wings to choose from, 20 beers on tap (expensive beer, though).

Smokey Mountain Brewery in Turkey Creek. As you could guess, the beer is more impressive than the food, which is a tad pricey.

I'm closer to Oak Ridge than Knoxville, and I love Mexican, so I have to mention El Areiro's on the Oak Ridge Turnpike.  It is the best authentic mexican I've had, the prices are cheap, and the staff is friendly.

Link Posted: 2/23/2009 7:05:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/23/2009 8:55:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Don't go to Puelo's on Cedar Bluff Road.  I am just getting over food poisoning from there Thursday night.  Spinach Quesadia dip DOES NOT taste good coming back up.  

Po-Po

Sorry to hear it, popo. It's a shame, because that place is about a mile and a half from my apartment.

I used to live in that area - in sunchase apartments.

+1 to Aubrey's.

There's one in Farragut and one on Middlebrook pike that would probably be closer to  you. They don't have a huge selection, but what they do have is pretty good.
Link Posted: 2/23/2009 10:41:00 AM EDT
[#14]
For BBQ and ribs try M&M Catering.  They are very near your location.  They are on Middlebrook Pike near Cedar Bluff.  I haven't been to their new place, but they used to cook all their BBQ outside in several huge smokers. I lived near them at one time and you could smell that stuff cooking all night long.  I love their ribs.

http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Map.aspx?RefID=5103

Link Posted: 2/24/2009 6:43:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
What about the butcher shop down town for steaks?  One price you cook or they cook with all the trimmings?  24 oz sirloins etc.... etc....

po-po

I used to work there from '95-97.  If you go, Sundays are the best––split any steak on the menu for just over $22, salad and potatoes for each.

Don't forget the 'Sizzlin' Hot Apple Pie A-la-mode'!
Link Posted: 2/26/2009 2:19:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/26/2009 5:28:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
For BBQ and ribs try M&M Catering.  They are very near your location.  They are on Middlebrook Pike near Cedar Bluff.  I haven't been to their new place, but they used to cook all their BBQ outside in several huge smokers. I lived near them at one time and you could smell that stuff cooking all night long.  I love their ribs.

http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Map.aspx?RefID=5103

I'm right near M&M too, and I agree for pulled pork or pulled chicken bbq your can't really beat them.  I don't particularly care for their ribs, but I'm really picky with ribs so anyone else will probably like them.  If you like ribs definitely give them a try or get a jumbo pulled pork sandwich with the sweet/hot sauce(either be really hungry or bring a friend for that one).  Their new location is cool and they still smoke all the meat outside in the same smokers, I think the new location just gave them more inside room for prep and stuff.
Link Posted: 2/26/2009 12:12:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Pizza Palace
3132 E. Magnolia Avenue
Phone: (865) 524-4388
Link Posted: 2/27/2009 4:40:12 AM EDT
[#19]
If you like pizza and oinio rings try the Pizza Palace on Magnolia. Its been there since the 50's and my folks use to go there on dates. Best onion rings in town. Just be sure to bring your protection, not the best area in town.
Link Posted: 3/2/2009 5:30:48 AM EDT
[#20]
This is Mrs. Hessian.  Check out this resturant.  A bit pricey but really good!   Nice for a special occasion
http://www.chesapeakes.com/
Link Posted: 3/2/2009 1:39:06 PM EDT
[#21]
- Patrick Sullivan's in the Old City, amazing fried pickles and good atmosphere in there
- Tomato Head, dodge the hippies, but decent beer list and good pie and sammiches
- Sawyers, kind of like Zaxby's, but like 1,000 times better

and mother-f'ing NAPLES is the best Italian food in Tennessee hands down for me. I love that place.

I miss Knoxville, the restaurants in Chatty kinda blow

ETA: read back through some past posts, and wanted to also give a huge recommendation for Chesapeakes, very pricey, but so worth it, but someone told me it had closed, but I'm not sure. And the Chinese place on Kingston near Smoothie King is pretty good too

Also, one more plug for my friend's place in the Old City: For some awesome coffee and baked goods (mostly vegan, but still  really good, i promise) check out Old City Java on Jackson
Link Posted: 3/3/2009 11:56:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Amerigo's: Great Italian-Kingston Pike @ Papermill

Smoky Mountain Brewing Company in Turkey Creek: Good food, lots of microbrews, but kinda loud

+1 on Chesapeakes, Ye Olde Steak House, and The Butcher Shop
Link Posted: 3/3/2009 9:13:12 PM EDT
[#23]
*The name is a lame pun on the name of a commie bastard, but, if you like Mexi-Cali type food, you must go to Chez Guevara (formerly known as La Paz).  It's really fantastic.

*If you like really well executed pseudo-Thai/Chinese (not the funky crap they really eat over there), visit Stir Fry Cafe.  Also fantastic.

*Go to Litton's, on Broadway.  Everything there is good.  Try to save room for dessert, as the Italian Cream Cake is ridiculous.

*If you like sushi, go to Tomo.
Link Posted: 3/5/2009 5:12:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Have you tried " Ye Olde Steak House ".  Its on Chapman Hwy going towards Seymour.  Thats mid north I believe for Knoxville.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:10:13 AM EDT
[#25]
I also have to suggest Littons across from the Fountain City Duck Pond, hand cut fries, hand dipped union rings, great burgers, steaks and Excellent desserts (+1 for the strawberry cake).
I'll be there again after the GSSF match at the John Sevier range on May 2nd.

Match223
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 12:41:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Here are some I consider some of the best in town.

PF Changs on Kinston Pike
SOHO in West Knoxville
Calhouns
Lenny' Subshop on Broadway
Harby's Pizza on Broadway (best pizza I have ever had)
Oscars on Cumberland
Gunthor's in East Town Mall

Most of the chain restaurants are good, Ruby Tuesday, Outback, Texas Roadhouse, Chillis.

Worst I have ever ate is Don Pablo at East Town Mall. The service was horrendous and the food sucked. My wife ordered a steak, it tasted like salt and was extremely dry and tough. I ordered a combination plate and anything that had beef in it was the same way as the steak. The spinach Queso dip was nothing more than cold soup. I asked about the runnyness and was told it would thicken when it cooled. I told them it was cold and they said it was because they just opened the can and got the thin stuff off the top. The replacement was warmer but even runnier. The best part of the whole dinner was the salsa that came with the chips but other than that I felt like I got ripped off. The manager asked how everything was and we told him as well as the fact we had asked for napkins 20 minuted earlier. He appologized and said he would personally bring us napkins, 20 minutes after that we paid and left without napkins.

Dolomite
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 1:01:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Here are some I consider some of the best in town.

PF Changs on Kinston Pike
SOHO in West Knoxville
Calhouns
Lenny' Subshop on Broadway
Harby's Pizza on Broadway (best pizza I have ever had)
Oscars on Cumberland
Gunthor's in East Town Mall

Most of the chain restaurants are good, Ruby Tuesday, Outback, Texas Roadhouse, Chillis.

Worst I have ever ate is Don Pablo at East Town Mall. The service was horrendous and the food sucked. My wife ordered a steak, it tasted like salt and was extremely dry and tough. I ordered a combination plate and anything that had beef in it was the same way as the steak. The spinach Queso dip was nothing more than cold soup. I asked about the runnyness and was told it would thicken when it cooled. I told them it was cold and they said it was because they just opened the can and got the thin stuff off the top. The replacement was warmer but even runnier. The best part of the whole dinner was the salsa that came with the chips but other than that I felt like I got ripped off. The manager asked how everything was and we told him as well as the fact we had asked for napkins 20 minuted earlier. He appologized and said he would personally bring us napkins, 20 minutes after that we paid and left without napkins.

Dolomite

I don't know what happened to Don Pablo's, they used to be really good.

Stopped in there a few months ago for lunch, hadn't been in there for a couple of years,cheese enchilada dinner, coke, cheese dip..................$25.00

Instance rice and couldn't get a refill on the coke for the life of me, piss on that place.

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:06:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Altrudas has pretty good italian.

There is a good Thai place in the same shopping center.

There is a polish resturant in Oak Ridge called homeland
cafe that is good.

There is a good pizza place called Big Ed's Pizza in Oak Ridge, it is awesome.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:41:00 PM EDT
[#29]
two words...

Ruth's Chris
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top