Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/5/2008 6:55:01 AM EDT
They havent released the names yet, but a Grundy County Deputy was shot and killed and a Monteagle PD Officer was shot early this morning serving a warrant.
They havent released the names yet, but I am sad to tell you that the GCSO Deputy was only 2 weeks out of the academy.

More details to follow as I get permision to post info.

One officer with the Grundy County Sheriff’s Department was shot and killed this morning and a fellow officer was shot and injured by a lone gunman.
Lt. James Burnette with the Tennessee Highway Patrol said they received a call around 4:45 a.m. Eastern to assist in the hunt for a white male believed to be the gunman.
Lt. Burnette said the shooting occurred off Monteagle Cove Road.
The names of the victims have not been released. A news conference will be held at noon at the Monteagle Police Department.
Officers from Grundy County, Tracy City, the Tennessee Highway Patrol, Marion County, South Pittsburg, Kimball, Sequatchie County and others are assisting in the search and are working from a command post on Monteagle.
For more details, see tomorrow’s Chattanooga Times Free Press.

www.startribune.com/nation/19561649.html

www.knoxnews.com/news/2008/jun/05/2-law-enforcement-officers-shot-grundy-county/

www.newsvine.com/_news/2008/06/05/1543767-deputy-killed-officer-wounded-in-tenn-shooting

www.wkrn.com/global/story.asp?s=8435199
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 6:56:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Still looking for him.  Local talk radio (102.3) is covering it pretty closely.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 7:41:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Damn
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 7:51:58 AM EDT
[#3]

BOLO:
29-year-old Kermit Bryson, considered armed and dangerous.
White man, 5 feet 7 inches tall and 130 pounds, with green eyes and several tattoos.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 11:35:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Updated:

Ok, so the names have been released:

1 officer killed, another wounded in Tennessee
June 05, 2008 13:54 EDT
MONTEAGLE, Tenn. (AP) -- The TBI director said Grundy County Sheriff's Deputy Shane Tate was fatally shot while trying to serve a warrant near Monteagle.

Authorities were conducting what a police spokeswoman called an "all out manhunt" for a tattoo artist named Kermit Bryson.

TBI Director Mark Gywn said Deputy Tate was dead at the scene of the 3 a.m shooting on Thursday.

Gwyn said Monteagle Police Officer Brian Malhoit was grazed by a bullet, but not seriously hurt.

A reserve deputy to also went to serve a warrant on Bryson for probation violation escaped injury.

Tate's gun is missing and Gwyn said authorities aren't sure if he was shot with his own weapon.

I didnt want to say anything specific until they were.

Shane was a great guy, starting law enforcement later in life than most.
A father of like 5 kids, Shane had been in my shop dozens of times, and was issued most of his uniforms and gear out my shop.

Brian is a great guy, and gets props for being new-old school.
Brian normally carries a Smith 686 on duty, and is in our shop on a regular basis.
My wife gets pulled over him on a regular basis as she speeds through Monteagle!

Link Posted: 6/5/2008 11:46:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Joe,

I'm so sorry to hear. I hope you get that bastard. And if y'all need anything at all give me a call or PM me.

Chris
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 12:04:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Updated:

Ok, so the names have been released:

1 officer killed, another wounded in Tennessee
June 05, 2008 13:54 EDT
MONTEAGLE, Tenn. (AP) -- The TBI director said Grundy County Sheriff's Deputy Shane Tate was fatally shot while trying to serve a warrant near Monteagle.

Authorities were conducting what a police spokeswoman called an "all out manhunt" for a tattoo artist named Kermit Bryson.

TBI Director Mark Gywn said Deputy Tate was dead at the scene of the 3 a.m shooting on Thursday.

Gwyn said Monteagle Police Officer Brian Malhoit was grazed by a bullet, but not seriously hurt.

A reserve deputy to also went to serve a warrant on Bryson for probation violation escaped injury.

Tate's gun is missing and Gwyn said authorities aren't sure if he was shot with his own weapon.

I didnt want to say anything specific until they were.

Shane was a great guy, fresh on the road and out of the academy
A father of like 5 kids, Shane had been in my shop dozens of times, and was issued most of his uniforms and gear out my shop.

Brian is a great guy, and gets props for being new-old school.
Brian normally carries a Smith 686 on duty, and is in our shop on a regular basis.
My wife gets pulled over him on a regular basis as she speeds through Monteagle!

Link Posted: 6/5/2008 1:50:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 1:55:06 PM EDT
[#8]
5 kids...what a shame.

Link Posted: 6/6/2008 4:20:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Perp is dead.  Was cornered behind his girlfriend's mothers house and shot himself.  Pronounced dead at Erlanger around midnight.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 4:21:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 5:42:07 AM EDT
[#11]
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24993228

Link Posted: 6/6/2008 7:02:18 AM EDT
[#12]

prayers sent.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 1:51:43 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

prayers sent.

Me too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top