Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2006 6:04:54 AM EDT
Shot kills Collierville man at Arlington firing range
Story Tools
E-mail this story | Print

By Shirley Downing
Contact
August 17, 2006
A Collierville man died Wednesday at a private Arlington-area shooting range, apparently from an accidental gunshot wound to the shoulder.
The victim was identified as Roy Thomas Latimer.

Advertisement
The Shelby County medical examiner's office will be asked to rule on the death, said Sheriff's Department spokesman Steve Shular.
The incident occurred at the Memphis Sport Shooting Association gun range at 9428 Old Brownsville Road.

Shular said initial reports indicated the man shot himself while returning his weapon to a shoulder holster after firing at targets.

The bullet shattered a windshield of a van with two people inside. The people in the van saw a man slumped over on a chair in the range and called the Sheriff's Department.

Latimer, a resident of Halle Plantation in Collierville, was a member of the 1998 Leadership Collierville class. He worked for Northwestern Mutual Life Insurance at the time.

Link Posted: 8/17/2006 8:00:47 PM EDT
[#1]
He died from a soulder wound

I know a few people in C'ville, never been there but i hear its a nice town.
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 8:03:30 PM EDT
[#2]
My mental picture is: finished shooting, live weapon, few rounds left, finger on trigger, bam...if so I think that qualifies as negligent--still sad.
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 5:46:36 AM EDT
[#3]
You know, if you wanted to commit suicide, but make it look like an accident, that would be a good method.

Link Posted: 8/19/2006 5:57:01 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
You know, if you wanted to commit suicide, but make it look like an accident, that would be a good method.

Hmmm, good possibility. That way insurance will pay out. It works but I have the gut feeling that this was just a dumbass mistake.
One he will not live to regret.
Link Posted: 8/19/2006 11:02:00 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hmmm, good possibility. That way insurance will pay out. It works but I have the gut feeling that this was just a dumbass mistake.
One he will not live to regret.

Yeah, I figure dumbass mistake, too.

Link Posted: 8/21/2006 3:26:14 PM EDT
[#6]
I feel for his family.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top