Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/13/2006 7:38:18 PM EDT
www.newschannel9.com/engine.pl?station=wtvc&id=4069&template=breakout_story1.shtml&dateformat=%25M+%25e,%25Y
My understanding is that this happened at Benton Falls near Chilhowee campground, about 2 miles from U.S. Hwy 64 and Lake Ocoee.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 2:12:12 AM EDT
[#1]

What a shame no dad was around. Sounds like the mom waded in and did her best though.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 7:58:05 AM EDT
[#2]
We have a lot of black bear up here. The population has really mushroomed over the past decade.

The thing that gets me is all the city dipshits who come up here and wander around with their kids in the forest like they are out in the city park. I had one woman get pissed at me last year because I had my dog, out in the damn forest, not on a leash!  And there her 4 year old is straggling a good 75m behind her. Probably the best thing for them was that my dog and I were out there. The family with 3 kids was spread out over a good 200m on a foot path. That's just asking for it.

Anyhow, I keep telling people there is shit out here that will eat you and you had better be prepared but most are oblivious. AS the bear come out of hibernation they are dangerous. They are hungry and they have cubs to feed. There is not a lot to eat either.

Link Posted: 4/14/2006 8:22:48 AM EDT
[#3]
If I was a bear and you threw rocks at me I'd get mad too.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 1:03:52 PM EDT
[#4]
I was standing right where the bear attacked, about 3 weeks ago. I go up there quite often. As we all know, the Nat. Park Service forbids the possession of firearms in all Nat. Parks. No wonder the kid was safe..........................    (sarcasm)

Personally, I carry every time I go anywhere up there.

Link Posted: 4/15/2006 12:49:53 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I was standing right where the bear attacked, about 3 weeks ago. I go up there quite often. As we all know, the Nat. Park Service forbids the possession of firearms in all Nat. Parks. No wonder the kid was safe..........................    (sarcasm)

Not advocating breaking the law here BUT, I always carry my "insurance".
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 8:05:17 PM EDT
[#6]
+1 on the "insurance"  
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 9:42:27 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Yup, me too.  Its a good thing nobody had a gun, someone might have gotten hurt.  

I have considered talking to my state reps and using this incident to advocate allowing CCW in state parks.  I hate to exploit a tragedy, but it might be an effective argument.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 11:34:52 AM EDT
[#8]
I heard that right before I was to go camping except I went down to Tim Fords.. Wife wants to go out that way, but I'm not properly insured yet.  pretty tragic, but like what is mention above, some folks go out there like they are at a city park..

BTW, the no firearms thing at a campground or wooded area like these parks is some what lame, if someone wants to start a petion up to get that change, put my name in for it..
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 3:57:13 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

if someone wants to start a petion up to get that change, put my name in for it..

They'd just use it for toilet paper.    
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top