Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/27/2006 2:21:21 PM EDT
Well, the topic says it all, but I have some questions before I head down there.  I'll be driving from NY on Thur. and have until Tuesday to check out TN, SC,VA, and if I have time, NC.  

I'm focusing on Eastern TN, due to the close proximity to the mtns.

1.  What are some areas, small in population(~50K), that are close to Knoxville that are worth checking out?  My desires are to buy some property, so hopefully it is affordable.

2.  What are the taxes like?  Say on a $200K piece of property?

3.  I'm into mountainbiking, streetbikes, and dirtbikes.  Hiking, shooting, hunting, and camping are all up my alley.  Which towns are these activities available in?

4.  Weather, how is the seasons?  Is is mad humid in the summer?  Freezing in the winter?  Lots of rain/snow?  Alot of sunny days?

Thanks guys...

John
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 4:27:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Check the last page or two/three, sir. There's an exact same question back there.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:14:15 PM EDT
[#2]
1.Kingsport Tn about 90min from Kville then theres Johnson City about the same amount of time. Both nice. Kingsport is nicer. Then theres the skirts of Kville.
3. Kingsport area has a Muddy Creek rally type thing for Dirt bikes, then theres the Honda Hoot in Kville every year. Nice indoor range in JC called Point Blank.
4. Weather aint bad at all. Somewhat humid during summer but not bad. Winters arent that bad at all.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:12:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like you want to check out Athens (area surrounding).  Small town--growing.
Lots of land-close to Knoxville (25mins).
Btw, it is flatter down I75 b/w Knox and Chattanooga.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 1:04:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Well guys, I went down this weekend and really loved it!!  I think it's going to work out for me, being that I still have some family in NY and FL still.  I've been looking at some acreage in/near the Maryville area.  

What are the laws regarding the discharge of firearms on your own property?

What about gun stores in the area?

Thanks!!

John
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 1:53:31 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Depends on the county/city laws & they usually are similiar. Common sense will be the best guide, IMO. If there's houses close by, don't be shooting in your yard. If your neares neighbor is a mile away or more, have at it.

Gun stores are Legends (IIRC?) in Athens & Benton Shooters Supply in Polk Co. No clue about Knoxville or Kingsport.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 2:08:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Tennessee Rocks, Good Luck!
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:52:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Coal Creek Armory Knoxville @Lovell Rd

Guns n More Knoxville @Bearden

Randy's Guns and Knives @Fountain City on Broadway

Frontier Firearms @Kingston
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 4:24:13 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Coal Creek Armory Knoxville @Lovell Rd

Guns n More Knoxville @Bearden

Randy's Guns and Knives @Fountain City on Broadway

Frontier Firearms @Kingston

Randy's has about the highest prices in town. I was just in there the other day and stripped Rock River lowers were $175 and a Armalite was over $200, from what I could see of the price tag.

They have taken over where Guncraft left off, IMHO.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:41:41 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Depends on the county/city laws & they usually are similiar. Common sense will be the best guide, IMO. If there's houses close by, don't be shooting in your yard. If your neares neighbor is a mile away or more, have at it.

Gun stores are Legends (IIRC?) in Athens & Benton Shooters Supply in Polk Co. No clue about Knoxville or Kingsport.

Would 50-100 acres work?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:00:39 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Would 50-100 acres work?

Depends. As long as you are at least 100 yards from a dwelling you are good to go, at least concerning state laws. City, county, etc. laws may differ.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:43:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Also, I enjoy riding my dirstbike and mountainbike, how does the eastern part of the state fare for those activities?

ETA:  What kind of humidity can I expect to see in the summers?  I've heard varying descriptions from outright horrible to "mild"
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 11:27:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Try Gray or Jonesborough area sounds like these might fit your bill.
If you don't like the weather wait about 15 min. it will change
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:25:14 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Also, I enjoy riding my dirstbike and mountainbike, how does the eastern part of the state fare for those activities?

All I can say is, just try to keep up with the locals, if you can?  

ETA:  What kind of humidity can I expect to see in the summers?  I've heard varying descriptions from outright horrible to "mild"

Let's just say you'll enjoy a cold beer in the summer.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top