Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/12/2006 9:55:02 AM EDT
Seems that one of Metro's finest may be getting his wee-wee caught in a wringer.

Sgt. Randy Reed has been under investigation for shooting an unarmed suspect in the back while (allegedly) handcuffing him.

Reed claims he was putting the cuffs on the suspect with the suspect on his belly, on the ground. Reed claims the suspect raised up, hit Reed's muzzle, causing him to fire once into to the suspects back.

Where's the problem(s)???? Well, for starters, Reed claims "he can't remember some details." (Bullshit! I remember my shooting 3 years ago like it was yesterday)

Now, the autopsy shows no gunpowder on the perp's back, as there would be if the gun muzzle was held against it. Autopsy also shows lots of bruising on the perp's body, as if a scuffle had taken place. Balls were found bruised also, as if he had been kneed in the balls. Seems Reed never mentioned said possible scuffle, strangely.

Another officer was present during the arrest & shooting but he did not have a full, unobscured view the entire time. Metro police will not release the other officer's statement, for whatever reason.

Reed has been found in the past to have planted a "tro' gun" on a suspect, according to Metro records. Not exactly a model officer, IMO, yet he somehow managed to rise to Sgt.??????????

Entire article can be read on-line at the Tennessean's web site. Time will tell if the Blue Wall of Silence protects yet another one of their own.

Link Posted: 2/12/2006 11:16:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Not exactly a model officer, IMO, yet he somehow managed to rise to Sgt.??????????

Hell, in Memphis he would be a CAPTAIN!

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:44:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:17:56 AM EDT
[#3]
The main problem I have with the police is the whole "Blue Wall" BS.  Other professions (Doctors, Lawyers, etc.) have the same problem.

If you KNOW someone is crooked (or just REALLY suspect it) and you don't do anything, you are WRONG.  And you know it.  Turn them in, anonymously if need be.  If the higher ups sit on it or try to cover it up, give the info to the press.

Trying to hide the problem makes everyone in your profession look bad.  Dumb ass politicians are the WORST at this.

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:52:03 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
The main problem I have with the police is the whole "Blue Wall" BS.  Other professions (Doctors, Lawyers, etc.) have the same problem.

I don't know. Seems like a lawyer would sell his mother down the pike for a few $$$, IMO.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:59:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Have you ever heard of a lawyer taking a malpractice case against another lawyer?

Honor among theives and all that...

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:44:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Hmmmm. I knew a Sgt.reed that worked for Metro. That was back in the early 90's. Seemed like a good enough guy. Doubt it was the same one. Sgt. for 14 years? Does that happen?
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:51:14 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Sgt. for 14 years? Does that happen?

Sure. I've known officers to retire as patrolman their entire career. Some don't want the paperwork involved in being promoted & are happy as a street officer, IMO.

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:16:23 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Sgt. for 14 years? Does that happen?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sure. I've known officers to retire as patrolman their entire career. Some don't want the paperwork involved in being promoted & are happy as a street officer, IMO.

Sorry my friend, that is not opinion, that is fact!
MNPD is no different than any other though. I have seen then inner workings of many PD's and they are all the same to some degree or another. As far as Reed and the infamous "Blue Wall", the truth of the shooting will continue to come out (which doesn't look good for him at this moment) and the blue wall will continue to stand tall and strong. Right or wrong.

I have many friends and associates on Metro and surrounding counties. These comments by no means reflect upon their character or the character of the other good officers. It does however represent the ones that are tarnishing the shield.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:48:56 AM EDT
[#9]
That is exactly the point I was trying to make above.  LEO's tend to have a "us -vs- them" view of the world.  It comes with the job ( I know many LEO's and am related to some).

The problem is when they "close ranks" around a fellow officer who has done wrong.  They may just be trying to protect their own, but it makes it look like they all have something to hide.  Whenever that happens, they lose a little more of the publics respect.

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:09:12 PM EDT
[#10]
That is exactly the point I was trying to make above. LEO's tend to have a "us -vs- them" view of the world. It comes with the job ( I know many LEO's and am related to some).

The problem is when they "close ranks" around a fellow officer who has done wrong. They may just be trying to protect their own, but it makes it look like they all have something to hide. Whenever that happens, they lose a little more of the publics respect.

Which is something they can not afford to lose. ( ,any more of. )
I can understand protecting your own, stories withheld, but in the interest of protecting the public and upholding the law then there are no gray areas. Only right and wrong. PERIOD!
The sooner some people understand this the better off they will be.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top