Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/7/2006 4:25:54 PM EDT
I went in today for the first time, I was working in memphis not far a way and wanted to take a look. I really liked the large selection they had, and while I did dot deal to much with the staff My prescence was aknowledged and I was asked if I needed any help. That is more than I can say for one of Jacksons gun store's that is a fraction of the size. So for me, at least this trip they did not live up to the name Guns & A..H...s as so many have refered to it.  Is there any other gun stores in Memphis with a selection even close? They had a lot larger selection than any gun store I have ever been in , not that that says to much.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:30:15 AM EDT
[#1]
The only other stores that have large firearm selections are Bass Pro, and the Sportsman's Warehouse.
G & A has the largest selection of Black Rifles/mags/parts/etc. though, hands down.

In my opinion, and I'm a regular and they know me, the attitude has been getting much better the last few years. I think it was mainly from a few specific employees, that no longer work there.

I would be interested to hear from people with recent bad experiences.

HKO
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:15:42 PM EDT
[#2]
my experience is not too recent, about 2 yrs ago. it was SO bad. i was in there for probably an hour trying to decide between two different AR's. apparently the guy thought i should have decided sooner, he was rude, not just to me but others as well. as i was in the process of purchasing the carbine it became more than i could tolerate and i politely told him to fuck off. i left and ended up purchasing off the net. screw them.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:22:13 PM EDT
[#3]
It depends on who you get. The old guy behind the knife counter (turn right when you walk in) is always friendly and helpful. Some of the others are OK and one or two are complete cocksuckers that I won't deal with. The owner is actually a nice guy.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:33:51 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
It depends on who you get. The old guy behind the knife counter (turn right when you walk in) is always friendly and helpful. Some of the others are OK and one or two are complete cocksuckers that I won't deal with. The owner is actually a nice guy.

Sounds like the owner needs to fire the assholes.  Hell, salesmen are a dime a dozen.  When you get an asshole who runs off customers, you put him on the road!

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 8:36:16 AM EDT
[#5]
True, but salesmen you can TRUST to not rob you blind in a gun store are much more of a concern, especially in a high-volume store like that. Yes, the shit heads are "stealing" business with their attitudes, but that's what training is for. Eventually, they should go I agree.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 8:50:50 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The only other stores that have large firearm selections are Bass Pro, and the Sportsman's Warehouse.
G & A has the largest selection of Black Rifles/mags/parts/etc. though, hands down.

In my opinion, and I'm a regular and they know me, the attitude has been getting much better the last few years. I think it was mainly from a few specific employees, that no longer work there.

I would be interested to hear from people with recent bad experiences.

HKO

I tend to agree that they have gotten better over the last couple of years.  I'm also kind of a regular (visit at least once a month, sometimes more) and I haven't witnessed them treating anybody poorly in a while.  It may help that
One thing I have noticed in the last couple of years is the large portion of "gangsta" types in there looking at pistols.  I think G&A does a pretty big layaway biz with these homies & I always see at least 2 salesmen working with these types looking at the semi-auto handguns.  I would think a lot of these thugs would fail the background check so a salesman giving attitude might be due to losing sales to dudes that aren't lawfully allowed to own a firearm in the first place...
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 8:27:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Just wondering if anyone knows what kind of prices G&A were asking for Glock 17 or 19's.  Also what gun shops would you recommend in the Jackson area.  I am in the Pickwick area and not much choice here in dealers.  Thanks for any replies.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 8:54:15 AM EDT
[#8]
I tell people to go there, as they have the largest selection, and best prices in town, but they are pure A$$ O's. I have collected guns since I was about 12. I go to every gun show around, and do gunsmith work for people. They still treat me like they are doing me a favor in selling me somthing. The good gun shops have closed in Memphis...

Harwood Arms
Arandell Arms
East Park Hardware

The list goes on and on...

Link Posted: 2/12/2006 4:27:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 4:30:21 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I tell people to go there, as they have the largest selection, and best prices in town, but they are pure A$$ O's. I have collected guns since I was about 12. I go to every gun show around, and do gunsmith work for people. They still treat me like they are doing me a favor in selling me somthing. The good gun shops have closed in Memphis...

Harwood Arms
Arandell Arms
East Park Hardware

The list goes on and on...

Sorry man, had to do it.
     She used to have post-ban prices 10 YEARS BEFORE the AWB.

Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:13:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Yes,
but sometimes you could get some good buys. I have dealth with them since they were across the street next to the resturant. got my first 45 from them.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:36:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Slightly off topic...But does anyone know the owners last name?
I think I know the guys daughter.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:38:13 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Slightly off topic...But does anyone know the owners last name?
I think I know the guys daughter.

I hope I'm right.....
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 1:28:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Theres a place out on germantown road and Dexter that has a small sign that just says "gun shop".  The guys in there are pretty nice, but dnt ever sell firearms there because they cheap you.  Selection isnt on line with G&A but they'll help ya out.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:06:11 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Theres a place out on germantown road and Dexter that has a small sign that just says "gun shop".  The guys in there are pretty nice, but dnt ever sell firearms there because they cheap you.  Selection isnt on line with G&A but they'll help ya out.

You mean Jay.  He's the owner of that store in Cordova.  Decent enough guy (huge UT fan) but you won't get a deal from him.  He kind of gives off the "used car salesman" vibe.  He is asking some ABSURB prices for some of his rifles.  I saw an average-to-good condition HK 91 in there for $2900 this fall...
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 1:47:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Theres always the new Sportsmans Warehouse stores.. even have some black rifles..

One down @ winchester/forest hill irene (I think..its EAST of nonconnah/Winchester on south side)

and also one in southaven at new mall behind the walmart off goodman...they seem pretty decent and prices seem ok. NO used stuff though...

the sportsman's warehouse in memphis is on winchester, on the south side just west of hacks cross...

love,

Hank
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:14:09 PM EDT
[#17]
One of the guys at the office bought 500 rounds 9mm. He said he got a good price.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:13:59 AM EDT
[#18]
They have any 7.62x39 in stock?  Camden is coming up...

Link Posted: 2/17/2006 10:35:16 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
They have any 7.62x39 in stock?  Camden is coming up...

I haveb't had a chance to check. My daughter is moving out this week and I have been helping her.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 12:27:39 PM EDT
[#20]
G & A has actually gotten better over the last couple of years.  I have only bought maybe 4 guns from them in the last 12 years because I usually could find a similar deal from friendlier people, even if it meant ordering.  I can understand their attitude a little bit, 90% of the people coming in there to look at guns don't know their ass from a hole in the ground, or are groups of thugz straw buying for their thug budz who can't pass the TBI check.  They have the highest percentage of guns used in crimes of any gun dealer in Tennessee due to Memphis' demography and crime statistics.

Jay at Classic Arms is pretty decent - you do have to get to know him to get a good deal.  His coolest-of-cool guns are NOT on display, you have to ask about those.  He does a pretty brisk internet business on pre-89 AW's, and most of the cheapskates in Memphis won't pay average retail for these pieces.  I bought a PolyTech legend underfolder from him for $1,400 last year, in the box.  I thought that was a pretty decent deal, as I haven't been able to find one in ANY condition for cheaper before or after that deal.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top