Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/12/2006 6:02:02 AM EDT
I have property in NC, don't like the taxes and some other things.

I have a wonderful "friend" in TN, I like the area, job market seems better, etc.

Tags expire in February, license next year. Talk to me guys!(I'm already trying to aquire a taste for Jack Daniels!)
Hessian-1
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:12:02 AM EDT
[#1]
TN has *no* state income tax, NC does.

Where in NC and where in TN are your options?
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:22:10 AM EDT
[#2]

I have a wonderful "friend" in TN, I like the area, job market seems better, etc

Sounds like you know your answer.  You like the area, you got Love afriend, and there are more job possibilities to support the Love friend you have.  Also if the friend doesn't work out there are a lot more possibilities close by.

Quit talking about it and move.  Rebel summed it up, there is no state income tax yet.

You're in Western NC right?  You looking to move near the Tri-Cities somewhere?
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:06:12 PM EDT
[#3]
No income tax, no permit needed for handgun purchases, all flavors of NFA legal, NFA CLEO signoff mandated by state law.  Property taxes are low overall (probably no worse than NC), job market is better.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:18:54 PM EDT
[#4]
No State income tax
Machine Gun Friendly
and the home of Jack Daniels

what more do you need

come on over
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:24:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks Guys!
I guess I just needed some "validation."
(However, I do interview for a NC state position in a couple weeks so that might throw a little weight to the NC side. It is nice to have more options though! There's always the weekends!
Hessian-1
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 3:14:03 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
No income tax, no permit needed for handgun purchases, all flavors of NFA legal, NFA CLEO signoff mandated by state law.  

Seems to sum it up quite nicely, IMO. The only thing NC has going for it is the coast, IMO.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:07:01 PM EDT
[#7]
I think that most people that move here stay here. I've been here for 15 years and like it so far.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:39:00 AM EDT
[#8]
State sales tax is 9.25 %.

Yikes !
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:03:23 AM EDT
[#9]

State sales tax is 9.25 %

Yep, but it sure beats the heck out of income tax.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 1:48:19 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Yikes !

TN doesn't tax you until you spend your money, other states tax you as you earn it. I prefer the former, IMO.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:21:13 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yikes !

TN doesn't tax you until you spend your money, other states tax you as you earn it. I prefer the former, IMO.

I concur. Though, I fear its coming.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:10:30 AM EDT
[#12]
yeah bob and if someone lives in the tri-cities area they can bring their money to ky for lots of things including groceries (no tax on food here) and cheaper sales tax

we would appreciate your revenue and don't forget to buy a lottery ticket on the way home.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:20:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Did a little research this morning and my auto insurance is going to be cheaper in TN.
Any TN natives care to post pros & cons not yet posted?
How's the business climate? (They're seem to be a lot of "regulatory agencies" here but it seems the same or worse in NC!)
If I am not mistaken auto tags and registration are much less here also.
Hessian-1
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:48:03 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Did a little research this morning and my auto insurance is going to be cheaper in TN.
Any TN natives care to post pros & cons not yet posted?
How's the business climate? (They're seem to be a lot of "regulatory agencies" here but it seems the same or worse in NC!)
If I am not mistaken auto tags and registration are much less here also.
Hessian-1

Tags and registration are in the $22-24 range, depending upon where you live.  I always hated getting tags when I lived in GA, damn things would be $250.  Overall, I would consider TN an improvement over NC for the reasons mentioned earlier.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 11:28:56 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

State sales tax is 9.25 %

Yep, but it sure beats the heck out of income tax.

Alaska has neither, oh yeah they also pay us every year to live here (Permanent Fund Dividend)

Only downside, 49 below zero without wind today
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 11:32:58 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

You couldn't pay me enough........
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 1:27:57 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You couldn't pay me enough........

But its a dry cold
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top