Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2005 11:47:06 AM EDT

Howdy, all.

I live in Flintville (near Fayetteville) and am having trouble finding good stores. There's one I like around Cowan, but it's a bit of a drive. I don't mind driving, but I'd like to find one or two really good stores and stick with them. Can you folks recommend anything east of Pulaski, west of Chattanooga, and south of Columbia (basically anywhere on I-65 south of Franklin should do, really)? If the best thing going in middle TN is in Nashville I can probably handle that since we're up there 6 or 8 times a year for family.

Thanks.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 12:52:56 PM EDT
[#1]
The best gun store in TN is Benton Shooter's Supply in East TN. Franklin Gun Store is closer to you but they're not cheap from what I hear. Specialty Arms in LaVergne isn't bad but your best bet is the Pope Gun Shows in Smyrna for gun buys & best ammo buys, IMO.

My .o2
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 1:09:44 PM EDT
[#2]

Excellent info, Bob. Thanks!

Keep 'em coming guys.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 3:30:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Benton Shooters Supply does have a good selection, but their prices are on the high side IMHO. The store that rivals them in stock but is much better in price is Legends in Athens, TN. It is not far off the interstate, whereas BSS is in the middle of nowhere.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 1:53:26 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

It is not far off the interstate, whereas BSS is in the middle of nowhere.

Not true. It's only 2-3 miles from the lovely square in downtown Benton!  
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:22:36 PM EDT
[#5]
guys-

there's an excellent dealer in benton beside benton shooters.  silversfirearms.  steve deals out of his house but has a pretty remarkable selection with very fair prices.  his buisiness hours are pretty much by appointment only, but he's worht a look. checkout his website- he has his inventory listed on there.  link below- i sound like he's paying me, but he treated me right and gave me a good price on a 226

Silversfirearms
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 6:15:46 PM EDT
[#6]
What kind of store are you looking for? Ar? Handgun?

There is a nice store in Franklin, TN..... Called Franklin Arms

For Ar's you need to check out
Middle Tennessee Guns & Ammo
1344 S. Lowery st.
Smyrna TN 37167
615-355-0810

Their e-mail is
[email protected]

the owner Phillip Mc Broom is a great guy...
Their prices are VERY good for a retail.
All they stock is AR's how amazing is that?-R
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 6:34:22 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't know much about them, but this outfit is in Columbia:

Steve's Gun & Archery
1011 Bear Creek Pike
Columbia, Tn 38401
(931)388-5157

I found their address and phone on the Maury County Gun Club site.

Tachyon
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:08:03 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
What kind of store are you looking for? Ar? Handgun?

Specifically, I'm looking to trade a handgun (a ParaOrd) for a G19/26/30. After that I'll want to make occasional trades and purchases, mostly simple stuff. Eventually I'll pick up a 22/45 or Buckmark, and I've got a few other simple things on my list-- probably nothing a small shop can't handle.

Thanks for the suggestions so far, guys!
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:29:57 PM EDT
[#9]
OK, this info has been posted before, but here goes.....

Franklin Gun is great for browsing, or to actually get to touch a gun you've been thinking about buying.  They have a huge inventory.  However, their pricetags are a little heavy.  For instance, I'm currently in the market for a Springfield Armory SOCOM16.  I went itno Franklin Gun to check prices.  They want $1800 for one.  They will special order things and will give you a reasonably fair deal on a trade-in's value, but they will be sure to get it back on the other end.

Drive 14 miles east on Hwy 96, to Triune Saddle Shop, and they will order it for me for $1400.  Ok, I don't get to walk out of the store with it right away, but $400 is a lot of cabbage to someone such as myself.  I drive by the Saddle Shop five days a week.  You can guess where I'm more apt to buy from.

Steve's in Columbia is a decent shop, particularly if you're looking for archery equipment or a hunting gun.  Their selection is rather limited, but Steve is a good guy who will get you anything you want.

MTGA is ok, particularly on pricing.  Phil is opinionated (aren't we all?), but his prices are good.  His selection is rather limited, but again, he will order you most anything.  You might have to endure a lecture on how your purchase is useless, but he'll get it for you.  (If he starts lecturing too much about how useless it is, remind him that you buying it is helping him keep his doors open and food on his table.)
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 8:00:53 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

MTGA is ok, particularly on pricing.  Phil is opinionated (aren't we all?), but his prices are good.  His selection is rather limited, but again, he will order you most anything.  You might have to endure a lecture on how your purchase is useless, but he'll get it for you.  (If he starts lecturing too much about how useless it is, remind him that you buying it is helping him keep his doors open and food on his table.)

<---------hough.......

+1.....For good info on shops
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 5:03:28 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

steve deals out of his house but has a pretty remarkable selection with very fair prices.  

IIRC, BATF forbids home-based FFL businesses. They now require a seperate "storefront"?

Link Posted: 9/9/2005 5:54:34 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
IIRC, BATF forbids home-based FFL businesses. They now require a seperate "storefront"?

While the ATF has changed the rules a bit so that most home based FFL's are no longer in business, there are in some circumstances still some around.

The "hook" the ATF has used most of the time to get rid of "kitchen table" FFL's is through zoning ordnances that are in effect in most locales. One of the biggest reasons a lot of FFL's back in the 90's and now have gotten out of it is because they do not meet local zoning laws.

A few have managed to stay in business even with these more stringent requirements, but it is getting harder and harder to do.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 5:00:29 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

steve deals out of his house but has a pretty remarkable selection with very fair prices.  

he has a separate storefront- an addon to his garage
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 9:26:38 AM EDT
[#14]
On Target in Murfreesboro
ontargetindoorshooting.com

Specialty Arms in Lavergne has a nice selection of handguns and shotguns, though my experience there wasnt good.

I'd have to differ on Phillip being a great guy.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 3:24:38 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Specialty Arms in Lavergne has a nice selection of handguns and shotguns, though my experience there wasnt good.

Sounds like you get no love from the gun shops?????    
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:02:25 PM EDT
[#16]
I used to buy quite a bit from Franklin Guns until they just wouldn't cut me any breaks. I then started buying all my stuff from Triune Saddle Shop...Mike has some great prices (best in Nashville area) and can order a lot of things but not everything (Sako, Remington Law Enforcement models). He is also fair and is a genuine guy. If I want something, I'll order from Triune most of the time.

On the note of Bentons, there is a place outside Chattanooga (30 min South in Dalton, GA) called Grants Sporting Goods. This place has the best prices BAR NONE of anywhere around Middle TN. They also have the biggest selection of firearms that I have seen around here. Give Grants a call...You won't be disappointed:

GRANT'S PAWN SHOP & SPORTING GOODS INC  (706) 278-5598  
613 5TH AV
DALTON, GA 30721  
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 12:35:59 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

GRANT'S PAWN SHOP & SPORTING GOODS INC  (706) 278-5598  
613 5TH AV
DALTON, GA 30721  

TN residents can't buy a handgun w/o a transfer, no?
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 12:42:57 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sounds like you get no love from the gun shops?????    

I get love from a select few who have made me broke. I can't stop buying stuff.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 12:41:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 10:11:52 AM EDT
[#20]

Are you sure on this? I was told that as a TN resident I cannot buy a handgun in AL (where all the shops I am familiar with are.) It sure would make it easier for me if I could buy a handgun in Huntsville.

I'll see what I can learn and post back...
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 10:34:45 AM EDT
[#21]

Yuck.

Apparently the GCA is the original source of federal legislation regulating the sale of firearms on the basis of state of residency. Here's a snip from the ATF's website:

A person may only buy a firearm within the person's own state, except that he or she may buy a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee's premises in any state, provided the sale complies with state laws applicable in the state of sale and the state where the purchaser resides. [18 U. S. C 922( a)( 3) and (5), 922( b)( 3), 27 CFR 178.29]

So, long arms can be purchased anywhere, but handguns can only be purchased in your state of residency. Apparently, you CAN purchase from a private party in your state and have them ship directly to you through a common carrier without having to go through an FFL. I'll have to look into that some more. Of course, if the other party will only ship to your FFL you're stuck going that route. Geez, it sucks living in an area with a shortage of good shops. (We live about 3 miles north of the AL border.)
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 10:58:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 11:41:14 AM EDT
[#23]

Come on Hank, you clearly can't get a weapon suited for service in the militia in another state.

Seriously, though, it seems like they make the laws more convoluted and restrictive with each passing year. The logic behind telling a fellow he can't buy a handgun from the gun store nearest his home escapes me, especially since my TN HCP lets me legally carry in, what, 20 states or so?  

Looks like I'll be trying out some of these suggested stores after all.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 4:06:27 PM EDT
[#24]

Franklin Gun has about the best overall selection around. It is a nice shop and will be nicer when the indoor range is completed in early 06. I enjoy going there and looking and will buy sometimes.

They have a little bit of everything.  

Their prices can be a bit on the high side, but that is the price you pay if:

A) you want it now
B) you want to see it before you buy it (ie not just order)
C) you shop in the high rent district where the overhead is high AND the locals can afford the higher prices.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top