Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/7/2005 4:27:44 AM EDT
This is not directed to all of those in Franklin but to the ones that the Mayor is referring to as the ones who emailed and called him, FUCK YOU! Its pieces of shit like you that give this country a bad name. I hope to God that next time I am in Franklin I get to meet one of you that he is referring to.

Click on the link below and scroll down the page about 1/3 of the page down to the video "Franklin mayor defends proposed hurricane shelter"
It just makes my blood boil.

Link
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 6:00:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Franklin is full of refugees already...that is...move-ins from other states who come to live and work in Nashville.  Its one of the "in" places to move to.  Course I grew up in Donelson and Franklin used to be in the middle of nowhere.  I guess all those "money" people are afraid of a little charity.

Essayons
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:06:48 AM EDT
[#2]
As a general rule, the more money people have, the less they want to share it.

It would offend the sensibilities of many wealthy people to be seen rubbing elbows with the average refugee.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:18:31 AM EDT
[#3]
I'll have to disagree in part. The wealthy in America (I made under $28,000 last year, btw) have a long history of philanthropy. As much as I hate them, some of the hollywood assholes have given millions. Japan (the country!) only gave a million.

After seeing the violence and mayhem that has been reported surrounding Katrina, it is not hard to understand why some would be hesitant to move evacuees to their neighborhood. I don't think this is right, I'm just saying it's not hard to understand. Another instance of the effects of media negativity.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:25:02 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I'll have to disagree in part. The wealthy in America (I made under $28,000 last year, btw) have a long history of philanthropy. As much as I hate them, some of the hollywood assholes have given millions. Japan (the country!) only gave a million.

After seeing the violence and mayhem that has been reported surrounding Katrina, it is not hard to understand why some would be hesitant to move evacuees to their neighborhood. I don't think this is right, I'm just saying it's not hard to understand. Another instance of the effects of media negativity.

Philanthropy: another word for 'I made too much, and/or need to offset some guilt for something bad I have done'.

YMMV, of course.

Seriously, though, poor people generally give more, as a percentage, than wealthy people.

Further, this isn't a case of giving - it's a matter of being willing to share your home/hometown with refugees. Wealthy people don't have a history of rubbing elbows with people who have nothing.

Having said all that, the point you made about the evacuees not being really desireable elements of society was well-taken.

edit:

and no, I don't have any evacuees/refugees/displaced persons/orlean-americans staying in my home, so I can't really point fingers at franklin.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:52:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Wow. They are gonna be eligible for TennCare too.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:56:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Even more good news for the refugees. Guess who's payin' for this.

Katrina Victims to Get $2K Debit Cards
Sep 07 12:04 PM US/Eastern
By DEVLIN BARRETT
Associated Press Writer
WASHINGTON

The federal government plans to dole out debit cards worth $2,000 each to victims of Hurricane Katrina, The Associated Press has learned.

The unprecedented cash card program initially will benefit stranded people who have been moved to rescue centers such as the Houston Astrodome. The program was outlined by Homeland Security Department officials in a conference call with state leaders Wednesday morning, according to a governor and another state official who spoke on condition of anonymity because the program had not been publicly announced.

The cards would be used to buy food, transportation, gas, and other things the displaced people need, Homeland Security officials told state leaders, according to an official who participated in the call and spoke on the condition of anonymity.

There won't be a boom box or a can of malt liquor to be had anywhere.

I wonder how many local homeless people are gonna become NOLA refugees to collect on the debit cards?
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 11:01:13 AM EDT
[#7]
I wonder if any of them would take 1000 cash for one of them there gubmint debit cards?
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 11:02:47 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I wonder if any of them would take 1000 cash for one of them there gubmint debit cards?

The ones who haven't had a good crack fix since last Sunday would probably take $200 for it......
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 1:52:28 PM EDT
[#9]

The ones who haven't had a good crack fix since last Sunday would probably take $200 for it......

Link Posted: 9/7/2005 2:00:32 PM EDT
[#10]
I live in Franklin and my take on this is "Good job, Mr. Mayor.  Tell them fuckers to fuck off.  If they don't like the fact that our town is willing to take in these people, they can get the fuck out of town."

And as for Franklin being the ""in" places to move to", there are reasons for that phenomenon.  The school district(s), to start with, are some of the best in the country.  The crime rate is VERY low, especially when compared to Memphis or Nashville.  The property values are only increasing, making it a wise decision to invest in land.  There are plenty of jobs in the area.   The town has the amenities of a major metropolis, yet maintains the feel of small-town Americana.  (How many other cities provide FREE downtown parking garages, as a way to bolster shopping and quality of living?)  Oh, and other than a few bad apples who want to turn away hurricane survivors, the political climate is OVERWHELMINGLY conservative.

When my wife and I were deciding where we were going to live after I got out of the Army and we got married, Franklin was our top choice, for the reasons listed above.  We love it here and look forward to raising our children here.  I've lived in 11 States (GA, IL, KY, MA, ME, MI, MT, NH, OH, OK, & TN), Canada, and Germany.  Out of all of the places I've lived, Franklin, TN has been the one which impresses me the most.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 9:34:55 AM EDT
[#11]

When my wife and I were deciding where we were going to live after I got out of the Army and we got married, Franklin was our top choice, for the reasons listed above.  We love it here and look forward to raising our children here.  I've lived in 11 States (GA, IL, KY, MA, ME, MI, MT, NH, OH, OK, & TN), Canada, and Germany.  Out of all of the places I've lived, Franklin, TN has been the one which impresses me the most.

I lived in such an area in MS and now in KY as well...small town outside larger towns, largely community oriented...until all the "foreigners" move in. That is, if your name or relatives aint here, you are a move-in.   I would say you better ask those who are from franklin, if they feel the same way you do about the city.  Most of the time they have a little different opinion of all the growth.  And of course Franklin is now so close to Brentwood (where my dad lives) that its hard to tell the difference with all the growth.

Anyway I just spent the day getting a gym oriented with supplies for 40 evacuees to come to as well.  Yeah we aren't being overrun with them but they are being helped out.  I wonder though how these factories around here can find jobs for these people when others around here can't get hired on? Just an observation

And I have lived in 12 states (MI, MS, MO, GA, VA, KY, TN, TX, FL, AR, DE, AL )and Germany as well....but I call Nashville home.  But its not even the place I knew it to be when growing up there.

Essayons

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:06:32 PM EDT
[#12]
I live in Franklin, and I agree with the Mayor up to a point.

Franklin is a great town. It has the benefits of being 20 minutes or less from a major city with an international airport, riverport and Interstate connections to 5 other large cities. Crime is relatively low compared to the rest of the country and people are generally friendly.

I'd almost bet that some of the people who objected don't have Tennessee license tags yet.

However, if there is a murder or rape by any of the refugees after they're moved here, the Mayor will have committed political suicide with no way out. He's the one who brought it up on the radio, and it's been picked up by local TV and apparently national TV as well. I consider it to be a political maneuver; perhaps in preparation for running for a higher office next year?

Tachyon
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:50:41 PM EDT
[#13]
I like taking the backroads to Franklin and have always liked Leapers fork. Peolple have seen bigfoot there!
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 3:42:42 AM EDT
[#14]

Franklin is a great town. It has the benefits of being 20 minutes or less from a major city with an international airport, riverport and Interstate connections to 5 other large cities. Crime is relatively low compared to the rest of the country and people are generally friendly.

I'd almost bet that some of the people who objected don't have Tennessee license tags yet.

However, if there is a murder or rape by any of the refugees after they're moved here, the Mayor will have committed political suicide with no way out. He's the one who brought it up on the radio, and it's been picked up by local TV and apparently national TV as well. I consider it to be a political maneuver; perhaps in preparation for running for a higher office next year?

Tachyon

I agree with you. I have never know a public official that didn't have a hidden agenda somewhere along the line. I just hope that in this case he actually "wanted" to do the right thing.
As far as crime being committed by one of the refugees, it is as possible as anyone else that is local to commit. I just hope that the refugees will at least try to contain their selves and not make people regret the help they they are giving.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 5:07:19 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I agree with you. I have never know a public official that didn't have a hidden agenda somewhere along the line. I just hope that in this case he actually "wanted" to do the right thing.
As far as crime being committed by one of the refugees, it is as possible as anyone else that is local to commit. I just hope that the refugees will at least try to contain their selves and not make people regret the help they they are giving.

I wish I could think it isn't a manufactured publicity stunt, but I don't. No politician in their right mind is going to tell voters in his area to move if they don't like what he's doing; and that's exactly what he did. No, he's looking for a political rise, and doesn't care about Franklin in the doing.

Tachyon
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 5:36:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Any word on what, if anything, Memphis is doing? Seems like the Ford family alone could take in many refugee families?
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 5:52:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Yea, fuck Ford! And the rest of his crooked ass family.

As far as Memphis, I believe that they got in a few refugees yesterday and today. At least with the Ford family in Memphis the refugees should feel right at home. Its just like being in Louisiana with their no good, crooked politicians.
Maybe Hank can give them free tickets to see his band. That ought to make them go home.

j/k Hank. Don't lock me. Lock BobCole. That will teach me a lesson.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 11:29:27 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
j/k Hank. Don't lock me. Lock BobCole. That will teach me a lesson.

Link Posted: 9/10/2005 9:11:37 PM EDT
[#19]
locked until i can find tesnevo's home address...
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 9:12:10 PM EDT
[#20]
alright, just kidding, that was funny...
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 11:01:12 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Tachyon

Here's what i know about the Franklin shelter.  My company opted to donate man-hours and food for evacuees that were originally located in Milan Tn at the Milan Arsenal.  They were there less than a week when they were ordered to move to the Franklin Shelters. (Jackson Sun will be reporting on this shortly)

The Franklin shelters were built/ are owned by LASKO a land developer.  The Mayor of Franklin has a controlling interest in this company.  If evacuees aren't living in "his" shelters he doesn't receive federal (FEMA) subsidizing and he loses money.  
The whole think f@#$ing stinks of money and politics as others have already mentioned that this is a poltical year for mayor.
I can afford to live in Franklin and have often thought of moving to Nashville.  I may still move to Nashville (with my company) BUT it'll be a cold day in hell before I live in Franklin or "Prickville".
Sorry....ranting finished.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 11:03:50 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

The Franklin shelters were built/ are owned by LASKO a land developer.  The Mayor of Franklin has a controlling interest in this company.  If evacuees aren't living in "his" shelters he doesn't receive federal (FEMA) subsidizing and he loses money.  
The whole think f@#$ing stinks

AWell, well, well.

A big-money-town mayor might have a conflict of interest. Shocking, isn't it?

I'll just hold my breath and wait for it to hit the papers........
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 12:07:38 PM EDT
[#23]

locked until i can find tesnevo's home address.

Wont do you any goo to find me. You will have to go through 4 women to get to me. One is 6, one 21, one 27 and one 40. If you make it through them then you have earned it.

Besides Bob was talking crap about you behind your back. "HE" is the one that needs to be taught a lesson, not me. I am just a front for the man.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:24:11 AM EDT
[#24]
I grew up in Brentwood and recently lived in Franklin (don't anymore). There is so much corruption in the building codes over there that it isn't even funny. Try and find a newly constructed DECENTLY built home in Williamson County that doesn't have major issues? Builders know they can get away with building crap b/c people will buy anything when in a hot location. I had had enough after my 2 year battle with a local builder. The State just looks the other way too. Stay away from buying a house in Franklin and Thompson Station unless you want problems.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 10:28:23 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The whole think f@#$ing stinks

AWell, well, well.

A big-money-town mayor might have a conflict of interest. Shocking, isn't it?

I'll just hold my breath and wait for it to hit the papers........

Yeah, i know i shouldn't be surprised, but I am.  My girlfriend calls me a pessimist of the first order and on occasion I regret my outlook.  
This prick shores up my belief that we're a doomed race.  I'll continue to distrust most, and trust others only to a certain (yet to be defined) degree.
Pathetic...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top