Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/8/2005 3:27:01 PM EDT
You guys hear about the guy in Knoxville catching state Senator Ron Ramsey speeding?  Videoed him going 90+ MPH near Knoxville on either 40 or 75.  In the rain.

Heard a few blurbs about it this afternoon on WFHG out of Bristol.

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:37:45 AM EDT
[#1]
I heard it.  Said he was doing 94.  Ramsey denies it, of course.  
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:55:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Found a small article about it.

Bristol Herald Courier article with video link
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:51:12 AM EDT
[#3]
I ain’t buying.

Sorry but the whole thing smells like BS.

Completely unverifiable crap from somebody that seems to be working on an agenda right after Ramsey announces he may run for Governor. From a guy that the first thing he says is

I'm a registered Republican. But I don't subscribe to this type of behavior from anybody.

That sounds awfully familiar… I think we have heard this preamble many times in the last 3 years… CBS memogate ring a bell.

Tennessee don’t register voters by party so where is he a “registered Republican”.

Ramsey is also trying to tighten up ethics laws, a move that has been very unpopular with some Middle and West TN legislators… can you say Democrats. This whole thing looks and smells like a political hit.

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 10:18:47 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Tennessee don’t register voters by party so where is he a “registered Republican”.

Kinda sorta. If both parties are holding a primary, you have to tell the voting registrar which party you will be voting in so that they may set the machine. They then check either Dim or Republican on your approval slip before you vote.

Besides, everyone knows only John Ford is allowed to do 95mph on our interstates!  
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 10:31:11 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Kinda sorta. If both parties are holding a primary, you have to tell the voting registrar which party you will be voting in so that they may set the machine. They then check either Dim or Republican on your approval slip before you vote.

Besides, everyone knows only John Ford is allowed to do 95mph on our interstates!  

Yea BUT that is not the same as registration… the point being the guy is making misleading statements or just out right lying.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:23:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Probably is a political thing.  But I don't doubt that Mr Ramsey was speeding.

Not unusual to see several people doing 85+ on 81 and 40 between the Tri Cities and Knoxville.  Had one guy with Alabama plates pass me doing at least 90 last week.

Too many people view I-81, I-26, and I-40 as racetracks.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:39:16 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Probably is a political thing.  But I don't doubt that Mr Ramsey was speeding.

Not unusual to see several people doing 85+ on 81 and 40 between the Tri Cities and Knoxville.  Had one guy with Alabama plates pass me doing at least 90 last week.

Too many people view I-81, I-26, and I-40 as racetracks.

You don't have to doubt it Ramsey admitted he probably was speeding but said 94 was a ridiculous number.

When traffic on I-40 in Knoxville is not bumper to bumper and it ain’t often if you drive below 75 you get run over.

The story just smells and Ramsey has cause a lot of headaches for the political establishment Democrat and some Republican.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:49:11 AM EDT
[#8]
I never drive over 70 in Knoxville.  Let the bastards pass me.

Never mind that the speed limit drops at Strawberry Plains.

I loved Ramsey's quote in today's Kingsport Times News.  "I was in a hurry to get home."

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:59:53 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I never drive over 70 in Knoxville.  Let the bastards pass me.

Never mind that the speed limit drops at Strawberry Plains.

I loved Ramsey's quote in today's Kingsport Times News.  "I was in a hurry to get home."

So… he also said he was not doing 94. Once again I just don’t see the problem this is BS.

Show me something that is provable and not from a guy that sat on this for weeks while doing God knows what. The story is not credible.

You don’t understand just how much the Democratic establishment hates Ramsey. Them manufacturing BS out of thin air is perfectly believable.

And I would also suggest Ramsey is should get more due process that the word of someone we know nothing about with a story that smells.

WHY should we assume this guy is telling the truth and Ramsey is lying?

Who is this guy… where do his political donations go… Why did he sit on this for weeks after he supposedly knew he had Ramsey red handed…

Either way it is rather silly Ramsey might deserve a speeding ticket while the Fords get away with murder in West TN and Democratic corruption is rampant for Cookeville to Memphis. That is what I suspect this is really about they don’t want Ramsey cleaning out the rats nest.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:58:51 AM EDT
[#10]
There's not really a problem.  I just find the whole thing hilarious.

Heck, I could have videoed Terry Kilgore driving 80+ on the Virginia side of 81 several times.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 1:10:58 PM EDT
[#11]

Completely unverifiable crap from somebody that seems to be working on an agenda right after Ramsey announces he may run for Governor. From a guy that the first thing he says is

dude, there's video of a car with legislative plates.  I'm sure someone can verify that they are his plates, if they haven't already.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 1:15:41 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

dude, there's video of a car with legislative plates.  I'm sure someone can verify that they are his plates, if they haven't already.

Dude how in the hell do you have any idea how that was setup or how the damn equipment works, if it was working, if the equipment was calibrated or mis-calibrated, and whether the reading you are seeing MEANS ANYTHING.

A 12 year old with that equipment could fake the whole thing. You don’t have any idea what actually happen and neither do I there is no point pretending you do or me for that matter. The one thing I do know is the whole thing is meaningless.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 1:23:15 PM EDT
[#13]

Dude how in the hell do you have any idea how that was setup or how the damn equipment works, if it was working, if the equipment was calibrated or mis-calibrated, and whether the reading you are seeing MEANS ANYTHING.

A 12 year old with that equipment could fake the whole thing. You don’t have any idea what actually happen and neither do I there is no point pretending you do or me for that matter. The one thing I do know is the whole thing is meaningless.

I'll try that defense in court the next time I get a speeding ticket.  I'll tell you how it goes.  

I'm sure the equipment is likely standard and verifiable, if the police use it.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 1:26:14 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I'll try that defense in court the next time I get a speeding ticket.  I'll tell you how it goes.  

I'm sure the equipment is likely standard and verifiable, if the police use it.

Clue coming your way ….> THIS GUY WAS NOT A COP.

There is absolutely NO way ANYBODY can verify the veracity of what is on that video tape NOBODY.

We are expected to take the word of a guy who we are to believe was supposedly trolling the interstate for speeders freelance with out any verification what so every.

What is on that video tape don’t mean a damn thing.

Why would you assume the equipment was standard and verifiable you have NO idea what equipment was even in use., you don't know if the police use it. You don't have any idea you are assuming you know somthing you don't have any way of knowing.

This guy is not a cop there is NO ONE to check his equipment, methods, or exmine his motives.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 1:54:40 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
while the Fords get away with murder in West TN

is why the Fords get away with shit. Witness then esteemed Ophelia Ford (sp?) not meeting residency requirements in running for brother John's Senate seat. State law says one has to live in the district one full year before running for that seat. She's ain't even close to that. Has anyone called her on it? Anyone in TN govt power? Fuck no!

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 2:11:01 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
while the Fords get away with murder in West TN

is why the Fords get away with shit. Witness then esteemed Ophelia Ford (sp?) not meeting residency requirements in running for brother John's Senate seat. State law says one has to live in the district one full year before running for that seat. She's ain't even close to that. Has anyone called her on it? Anyone in TN govt power? Fuck no!

That is whole point …

Ron Ramsey may be a evil speeder.

And other know and provable violations laws are ignored because… it is a Democrat.

The simple fact is Ramsey is trying to put a stop to some of it and I suspect a lot of people don’t like that and want to stop him.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:16:36 PM EDT
[#17]

Clue coming your way ….> THIS GUY WAS NOT A COP.

I don't need your clues.  Let's think about this logically: whose equipment is likely to be more accurate?  A guy trying to sell equipment for profit or a guy who likely drives around while rarely having his equipment re-calibrated?  Or another comparison would be a guy who needs it to be accurate so it's valuable in order to sell it vs. a guy who works for the .gov, which is motivated financially to catch speeders.  Cop or not, that alone doesn't discredit him.  

Do you think cops have some magical ability to point this gadget at a car that a salesman who is familiar with them does not?  Because that's what the media tell me about guns

There is absolutely NO way ANYBODY can verify the veracity of what is on that video tape NOBODY.

He's got a tape.  Doesn't take much to prove a tape is false.   if he were smart, Ramsey would do that.

We are expected to take the word of a guy who we are to believe was supposedly trolling the interstate for speeders freelance with out any verification what so every.

No.  However, I watched the video and it looked realistic to me.  Maybe I'll have a cop friend watch it.

What is on that video tape don’t mean a damn thing.

And by that rationale, nothing I see on TV means anything since it can all be faked.  There was no Vietnam footage, no Rodney King beating, no space shuttle blast off, after all they can be faked.

Why would you assume the equipment was standard and verifiable you have NO idea what equipment was even in use., you don't know if the police use it.

If the dude is selling equipment, it's a reasonable conclusion.  If he sold crappy unverifiable equipment, he probably wouldn't sell much.  I trust the free market more than a bureaucracy.

You don't have any idea you are assuming you know somthing you don't have any way of knowing.

I told you i saw the tape and took it at face value.  You're assuming it's a fake.

This guy is not a cop there is NO ONE to check his equipment, methods, or exmine his motives.

If Ramsey were smart, he would.  In fact, Ramsey was vague about speeding and stating he probably was but not that fast.  I'd place more faith in this dude's equipment than the cop's.  You think police departments have time/money to re-calibrate often enough?

To get back to when you said this earlier:

there is no point pretending you do or me for that matter

I know what I saw.  You or Ramsey need to disprove it.  And sure it may be a hatchet job (probably is) but if it's factual, tough nookie for Ramsey.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 11:53:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Good editorial in the Kingsport Times-News today about Ramsey and the whole situation.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top