Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/7/2005 5:25:46 PM EDT
BBQ BABY!  

World Championship BBQ Cooking Contest. 12-15 of May. Whos gonna be there? Beside me of course...

BTW: I would ask to meet up with you Hank, but I am sure you have another good excuse a good reason for not being able to go.
Link Posted: 5/7/2005 7:17:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I'll probably be there at some point. The ol' lady has free tix to a redbirds game on the 13th.
Link Posted: 5/8/2005 8:23:55 AM EDT
[#2]
The question is: How much are ya gonna bring back for the rest of us???????????????    
Link Posted: 5/8/2005 11:35:19 AM EDT
[#3]

The question is: How much are ya gonna bring back for the rest of us???????????????

As much as my belly will hold!
Link Posted: 5/8/2005 11:41:58 AM EDT
[#4]
I'll be there!  We put in yesterday and start setting up the booth on Monday!  I've been waiting for the last 11½ months for this week!

E-95
Link Posted: 5/8/2005 2:16:10 PM EDT
[#5]
E-95, What is the booth number/name? What is your specialty.
Link Posted: 5/8/2005 2:28:35 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't know what our number is this year, but we're the Three Alarm Smokers in ribs.  How about you?

E-95
Link Posted: 5/8/2005 2:50:58 PM EDT
[#7]
OH HELL! Three alarm you say. (Kind of catchy being a fireman and all)

This is a test run this year. I want to go and observe for one year. I would like to set up for next year in the BBQ Pork area. It gets no better than that.
My wife of 15 years thinks I loose my mind when I am out back smoking.
I will get up and start the smoker around 3:00 am and smoke all day till night fall sometimes. Depends how many are coming over the next day.
Link Posted: 5/8/2005 3:31:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Are you planning to start a team and enter into the Shoulder Division or just grab a couple of friends and enter the Patio Porkers Division?  If I'm not mistaken, the three primary Divisions (Whole Hog, Shoulder, and Ribs) are considerably more expensive than Patio Porkers for fees and booth costs.  I think our booth is 20' x 60' (fairly large as they go) and our entry fee alone was somewhere around $1,400.  That's not even counting the cost of booth materials, cooking equipment, refrigeration, electrical hookup fees, food, drinks, and other assorted consumables.

If you'd like, I'll IM you my number and you can pick my brain about the competition.  I've been on the team for over ten years now.

Oh, and since we're a bunch of knuckle-dragging firefighters we had to think of a name that we wouldn't forget.  

E-95
Link Posted: 5/8/2005 5:13:48 PM EDT
[#9]

As far as the money goes, I know its expensive but as good as my BBQ is it would not be fair to the public to deprive them of it. Also when I win the grand prize, it will help out too.

Hopefully the Shoulder Division.  But it might have to be the Patio Porkers ( my wife says that sounds more like me anyway  She is a comedian today all of the sudden) Ive studied it for years and I am in the process of talking with a person that I have done work for in Waverly,TN., by my farm, that builds one hell of a trailer/smoker. If you get around to it IM me your number. I would like to opportunity to speak with you further. Ill call when I get the chance.
Link Posted: 5/8/2005 5:37:41 PM EDT
[#10]
IM inbound.

E-95
Link Posted: 5/11/2005 6:58:12 AM EDT
[#11]
here's an email i got from our team captn......

well we are again about to embark on another great year for the mim bbq. we had an absolutely stunning sunset on the river tonite. the castle is built and awaiting guests. to see Hore Abbey our monastery that we imported from ireland click on http://www.crosstowncookers.org/ we have already been requested to host several dignitaries on thursday and friday nite. good morning america  will be interviewing us on wed, thurs and fri. be watching for us on the news as several stations have already requested us for filming. we are already scheduled for interviews by the bbc and pbs. there is another set of photographers from england again this year that want a chance to talk to us from the bbc. we are signed up for the caravan of tours that mim has requested us to do. this is where people from outside the bbq can come in and get a chance to see our booth and talk to us and ask questions about how we came to be a team and how we prepare and serve our product.
then cattleman's sauce has asked us to do the hog crawl where they will bring in several dignitaries on friday evening to view our product and ask questions and be served samples of our products. (this last one actually pays us)
see ya
bill

"cookin Q......Kickin A"
skintback
Link Posted: 5/11/2005 12:52:34 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
BBQ BABY!  

World Championship BBQ Cooking Contest. 12-15 of May. Whos gonna be there? Beside me of course...

BTW: I would ask to meet up with you Hank, but I am sure you have another good excuse a good reason for not being able to go.

And you didn't tell me 'cause why? Just playin' I wouldn't be able to go anyway.Eat some for me!!!!
Link Posted: 5/11/2005 8:11:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Tesnevo,

Feel free to stop by our booth when you come down.  I should be down there tomorrow around 14:00 until late, Friday most of the day until late, and Saturday around 15:00 until late.  We're in R-98.  Ask for Paul.

E-95
Link Posted: 5/11/2005 9:58:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/12/2005 12:31:51 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
shit, man, i try to do everything i can to avoid a social gathering- I MEAN, UH... yeah, i have to shampoo my carpets that weekend. all weekend. and, uh, some other stuff, uh, yeah.

Probably shouldn't be in a band then since they tend to play at . . . well, social gatherings.  

E-95
Link Posted: 5/12/2005 9:22:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 7:17:18 AM EDT
[#17]
well ! ! ! ....how'd everyone do???

we picked up a 3rd in seafood, and another 3rd for booth design....... i havn't heard how we did in shoulder, but we didn't make top 3..

i'll post some links to the pictures of "sandy, the wonder unicorn" and the crowd of people that rode her...

skintback
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 10:50:24 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
well ! ! ! ....how'd everyone do???

we picked up a 3rd in seafood, and another 3rd for booth design....... i havn't heard how we did in shoulder, but we didn't make top 3..

i'll post some links to the pictures of "sandy, the wonder unicorn" and the crowd of people that rode her...

skintback

BBQ seafood?

You must explain - with pictures.
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 5:47:42 PM EDT
[#19]
here ya go....  

it's some portobello mushroom caps grilled off, w/ my spicy grilled shrimp on top.....it's surrounded by my candied dill pickles....they're just perfect to take the heat off your tongue from the shrimp!

http://photos.joespad.net/gallery.asp?user=mim&intPPR=4&imageid=1896&albumid=53&txtOrder=&txtGroup=

it's a spicy, nutty, sweet, buttery sauce......is killer on shrimp or lobster meat on the grill...

i make it in a spicier version for chicken fillets for the grill...it rocks!

it is the only recipie i don't share w/ anyone....but, it is for sale

skintback

Link Posted: 5/17/2005 4:20:05 AM EDT
[#20]
PICS

Ill link it for ya!

BTW: I just looked at the pics. DAMN! Looks great. skintback How do I get a copy of the recipes?
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 6:43:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Maaaannn......those look good.

Link Posted: 5/17/2005 8:46:15 AM EDT
[#22]
thx for the compliments folks!...and many thanks also for postin that link!....i'm a total 'puter moron, as ya'll can tell....lol...

i'll gladly share the recipies for everything, but the shrimp sauce.....lol...... i'm still hoping i can sell it off to supplement the meager income i get from unca sam...

which of the other recipies do ya want???

btw, shrimp are super easy to grill...is just a bear to shell them!...  anything w/ some type of fat/oil in it to make the flavors stick will do for a sauce.... i like something w/ a little sweetness in it, so it carmelizes on the surface...... you can start w/ any type oil/fat you like, add some sweet, add some spices/herbs as desired....   w/ metal skewers, skewer the shrimp on the big end (so they're easer to flip as a batch) and slather w/ sauce on both sides.... the hardest part is gettin a fire hot enough to brown the shrimp w/o over cookin them.....nothin worse than over cooked shrimp!... i've been known to use a blow dryer to fan my charcoal to get my heat right...lol...grill for 1-2 min per side, or till brown if super hot fire.... i use the same test for shrimp doneness as i do beef...using the muscle between thumb and forefinger......the feel of that muscle when hand is totaly relaxed is rare, w/ hand softly closed is med, hand clenched into fist is well....is best to not cook them past med, and i prefer rare...

you can check out more pics at    www.crosstowncookers.org

many thx
skintback
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 9:26:54 AM EDT
[#23]
 Tesnevo

I know what I'm bring to the next get together, My appetite !  I love a good rib !!  What kind of sauce do you use ? thick or thin ?

OK, OK , I won't be that rude, I'll bring the ribs. All you will have to do is cook em'. You know I can help start the fire.    

MAN, I just ate and I could still co for a good BBQ.. Good luck E-95 in the competition.

Jake
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 2:24:08 PM EDT
[#24]

Tesnevo

I know what I'm bring to the next get together, My appetite ! I love a good rib !! What kind of sauce do you use ? thick or thin ?

OK, OK , I won't be that rude, I'll bring the ribs. All you will have to do is cook em'. You know I can help start the fire.  

MAN, I just ate and I could still co for a good BBQ.. Good luck E-95 in the competition.

Jake

God knows that is the truth.

I just mught bring the small smoker and do ribs and a butt or two for the fellas. )and the special guest hookers exotic dancers er, uh I mean students who want to learn to shoot.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 10:48:58 AM EDT
[#25]
sorry to break your heart jake.....but, properly cooked bbq shouldn't NEED sauce!!!!  

i much prefer it just as it comes off the cooker.....  maybe just a touch of sriracha sauce for a compliment...

one of my fav tricks is to cook cornish game hens on the rack below a batch of ribs...... rub the birds w/ butter, sprinkle w/ rub, and let the ribs baste them, and season the smoke....damn fine eatin!!!

skintback
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 9:19:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 7:50:40 AM EDT
[#27]
skintback, you and I need to get together real soon either here or at your place and cook/smoke. Then we can post pics on here and tell everyone how good it was.

I am contemplating smoking a few items next weekend. You know it is the biggest BBQ holiday.

BTW Hank, what the hell do you know about BBQ. Its not like they do it right down there anyway.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 12:33:46 PM EDT
[#28]

I was able to be a judge a few years ago at a big BBQ contest on President's Island.  While, not an official "sanctioned" event, a bunch  of the teams do compete every May.

Cooking good BBQ is great, but judging?!?!?!?

THAT is where it's AT!!!!!

WoOt
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 2:33:42 PM EDT
[#29]

I was able to be a judge a few years ago at a big BBQ contest on President's Island. While, not an official "sanctioned" event, a bunch of the teams do compete every May.

Cooking good BBQ is great, but judging?!?!?!?

THAT is where it's AT!!!!!

WoOt

Yea, Yea,Yea, you suck!

See, thats the job I need. I would much rather go around judging than cooking. Although the cook always gets to "sample" along the way. I have learned to smoke other meats that are ready at earlier times. That way there is always meat available to eat test to make sure it is ok for public consumption.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 6:11:05 AM EDT
[#30]

skintback, you and I need to get together real soon either here or at your place and cook/smoke. Then we can post pics on here and tell everyone how good it was.

I am contemplating smoking a few items next weekend. You know it is the biggest BBQ holiday.

hey tes,
              i'd love to get together and throw some dead animal parts on the fire!...but, i'm booked up for the memorial day weekend....we've got a big family thing goin (all the kids will be comin home for it this yr), and,  i normally get together w/ some vet buds and toast the one's we've lost over the yrs on that saturday....

i'm thinkin a combo of a shoot & 'Q would be alot of fun.... whether it's just meetin up at range usa for an hr or two, or a full blown outdoor shoot somewhere for all the toys...

later
skintback
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 6:31:02 AM EDT
[#31]

actually, bbq DOES need sauce. otherwise, it is just grilled meat. that's something the yankees don't understand.

geez hank, i really feel for ya bro!....there's a huge difference between grilled, smoked, and bbq'd pork....

my contention is that bbq is a unique method of cooking, using a covered, direct heat to cook seasoned pork.  i think it is essential that the juices of the meat, along w/ the spices, go into the fire to create a seasoned smoke... and, i think hickory smoke is required...in my opinion, the spices/meat juices creating the seasoned smoke is what differentiates bbq from just smoked or grilled meat... cooked properly, bbq will develop all the flavors in the meat that you look for from the sauce...

dang, now i'm hungry again....
later
skintback
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 5:18:25 PM EDT
[#32]

hey tes,
i'd love to get together and throw some dead animal parts on the fire!...but, i'm booked up for the memorial day weekend....we've got a big family thing goin (all the kids will be comin home for it this yr), and, i normally get together w/ some vet buds and toast the one's we've lost over the yrs on that saturday....

i'm thinkin a combo of a shoot & 'Q would be alot of fun.... whether it's just meetin up at range usa for an hr or two, or a full blown outdoor shoot somewhere for all the toys...
later
skintback

Now that , my friend, is a damn good idea. Anytime, anyplace.
Most people think good BBQ requires sauces smothering it. Thats just because they havent had "GOOD" - "PROPERLY" smoked meats.
Sauce is for the side as a compliment to the food not a pool for the meat to swim in.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 9:55:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 1:26:28 AM EDT
[#34]

it dont need to be smothered, but shit man, thats why they call it barbecue sauce. its for, ya know, barbecue...

and as long as someone plans a Q and shoot, i will try not to attend...

That must have been for me.
I think that will need to be our next plan of action for the Tennessee crew. Only where to have it is now the issue.
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 5:59:04 AM EDT
[#35]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top