Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Utah
Posted: 10/24/2021 9:03:23 PM EDT
After years of  working on the wife to agree to move from Cali, the COVID vaccine for kids finally sealed the deal.  We are not doing that - period.  We’ll be out during winter  break to see the sights around SLC and get the lay of the land.  We are a conservative, gun owning, Jewish family with two elementary school age kids ( so school quality counts). Wife is a MD, so money is not a major limitation.  A place where we could have small livestock ( goat, chickens - that type of thing ) would be a plus but not required.

What’s a good place for us? I initially had my sight set on Provo, but after some reading it seems like almost everybody there socializes around LDS activities, so it’d be hard to make new friends.
Link Posted: 10/24/2021 9:47:16 PM EDT
[#1]
We moved here from GA about four years ago.  We are not LDS and live in a neighborhood where Mormons are predominate.  I can tell you with certainty, we do NOT feel like we are being shunned in any way.  We enjoy our neighbors and are friends with several Mormon families.  I would not move to Utah and expect them conform to your lifestyle and beliefs.  Do not move to Utah and vote the way the masses in California vote.  You will find plenty of good people here.  The move was great for me and my family.  I think that there is much to love about this state if you value freedom and liberty.  We live up in Box Elder county.  I am glad that one of the Utah hometown forum members suggested that we look north for a house.
Link Posted: 10/24/2021 10:00:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
After years of  working on the wife to agree to move from Cali, the COVID vaccine for kids finally sealed the deal.  We are not doing that - period.  We’ll be out during winter  break to see the sights around SLC and get the lay of the land.  We are a conservative, gun owning, Jewish family with two elementary school age kids ( so school quality counts). Wife is a MD, so money is not a major limitation.  A place where we could have small livestock ( goat, chickens - that type of thing ) would be a plus but not required.

What’s a good place for us? I initially had my sight set on Provo, but after some reading it seems like almost everybody there socializes around LDS activities, so it’d be hard to make new friends.
View Quote

If you are synagogue attending types, you're only real option is the Salt Lake Valley. This is unfortunately also where the democrat and leftist psycho majority lives. If you get a few minutes out from the downtown area, you can find some more laid back conservative areas.

I like Herriman for being close to everything, but also not IN the soup.

Heber is cool, but very cold in the winter.

If you're not worried about synagogue attendance, and want more of a rural feel, then check out Cedar City - Semi rural, several hours from major population centers, but nice.

Saw this advice given on an old forum once:

Where ever you go in Utah, if there is a high-LDS/Mormon concentration, you will have a certain minority who will not let their kids socialize outside of church members (in my experience, that is a very small, and very psycho contingent. You're better off.) There will be a small contingent of those who will socialize because they are hell-bent on converting your family. There will be a contingent of those who simply don't socialize at all. There will be another who are genuinely decent people who will be happy to have you over for food, have your kids play with theirs, etc. (This is most)

On the flip side, you have the ex-mormons who will do nothing but tell you how bad LDS people are, and a larger group of ex/former/inactives who simply don't go to church.

There's also of course the everyone else who has nothing to do with Mormons. This group is biggest in the Salt Lake Valley.

I honestly think you're shooting yourself in the foot by making decisions based on church membership percentages. Provo sucks, but it's not due to a high LDS concentration. It's a private university town. BLECH!

Where ever you end up, you ought to do what everyone else should do the world over if they want to socialize - (with one extra step if you're in Utah). Go meet your neighbors. Show them you're decent people like them, you're not cooking meth, etc... invite them over for food, as if they had just moved in.

For the Utah-specific angle, be sure to let anyone know who starts down the conversion road - Thanks but no thanks. If they are GOOD people (regardless of religious affiliation), they won't push anything you've politely declined. Contrary to most of the nay-sayers, the overwhelming majority of LDS people aren't going to cut you off because you're not a member. They believe the church is a good thing, and want to offer it up to others.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/24/2021 10:02:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We moved here from GA about four years ago.  We are not LDS and live in a neighborhood where Mormons are predominate.  I can tell you with certainty, we do NOT feel like we are being shunned in any way.  We enjoy our neighbors and are friends with several Mormon families.  I would not move to Utah and expect them conform to your lifestyle and beliefs.  Do not move to Utah and vote the way the masses in California vote.  You will find plenty of good people here.  The move was great for me and my family.  I think that there is much to love about this state if you value freedom and liberty.  We live up in Box Elder county.  I am glad that one of the Utah hometown forum members suggested that we look north for a house.
View Quote

Box Elder county is a hidden gem for sure. Logan is pretty nice too on the other side of the range, but the air quality sucks.
Link Posted: 10/24/2021 11:48:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Take a look at Alpine.  You won’t have any trouble making friends …as long as you are normal friendly-in-return people.  

It still has a smallish town feel…it’s tucked up in the north east part of Utah county…so it is not a through-put to anywhere.  

It’s right by American fork canyon, which is amazing.

Link Posted: 10/25/2021 8:31:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Thank you, folks, I'll definitely be checking out the places you suggested.   Herriman and/or Alpine look very much like what I'm looking for - close enough to city for when you need it, far enough for when you don't.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 10:14:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Look at Vernal, everything you want and nothing you don’t.
Link Posted: 10/31/2021 11:30:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Except for school quality.
Link Posted: 11/1/2021 8:16:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tell me what’s wrong with the schools in Vernal?
Link Posted: 11/19/2021 1:02:12 PM EDT
[#9]
erda or lake point in tooele county less than 30 miles from salt lake city.
Link Posted: 11/20/2021 11:01:25 AM EDT
[#10]
What specialty of MD?

I'm a physician and we're always looking for good docs.

Large, physician opened, multi specialty clinic.
Page Hometown » Utah
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top