Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Utah
Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2021 1:37:56 PM EDT
We are looking at Delta as a possibility for our training center and fulfillment center for the company. Anyone there or familiar with the city and government that can give us the skinny on the political climate and how the city is to deal with?
Link Posted: 8/17/2021 2:13:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
We are looking at Delta as a possibility for our training center and fulfillment center for the company. Anyone there or familiar with the city and government that can give us the skinny on the political climate and how the city is to deal with?
View Quote

@BlueLogo

Delta is a lot like any other small, rural community in Utah.  Good people, 2A friendly, lots of hunters/shooters, largest employer at this point is a Power Plant.  The city would be fine to deal with, as most of those in charge are good people.  Not actual politicians, thank goodness!  You can hit me up via IM if you want any other info or specifics.
Link Posted: 8/17/2021 5:06:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Will do, Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/17/2021 7:18:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I do employee benefits and am well versed in all the medicaid programs that your employees can enroll in.

Hit me up if you need help.

As far as Delta, don't know much about it other than its a nice small town.  

Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/19/2021 8:20:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 7:37:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well, rumor is the pioneers passing through just stopped to wait for the wind to die down... and have been there ever since.

For four more years until it shuts down. The gas combined cycle plant replacing it will likely have a staff of 25 vs. the 300-400 that the existing coal plant requires.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well, rumor is the pioneers passing through just stopped to wait for the wind to die down... and have been there ever since.

Quoted:
... largest employer at this point is a Power Plant.

For four more years until it shuts down. The gas combined cycle plant replacing it will likely have a staff of 25 vs. the 300-400 that the existing coal plant requires.
Bingo. When it was new, in the 80s, it made a huge amount of money in taxes for the county. Every year, its value gets depreciated and the tax base shrinks. Even though it's much cleaner than it was 30 years ago. But county struggles mightily to cover some of the costs that IPP taxes used to cover.

Also, I lived in Delta for 5 years. I enjoyed it, but it's really out in the middle of nowhere. Go to Nephi, go 50 miles into the desert towards Nevada. That's Delta.

Nice people.
Link Posted: 8/22/2021 8:26:54 AM EDT
[#6]
I guess I can't imagine *Delta* being a central location for a "distribution center" or "training center" for a business.

Most companies put their "training centers" in cities with major airports in centrally located areas. I guess Delta would be a good idea if your workers are just  driving there from other Utah locations. But if your business is large, and workers would be travelling any sort of distance to get to the training center, Delta isn't a good idea.

And every "distribution center" I have seen is near freeways, and usually near intersections of multiple freeways.

Delta is in the middle of nowhere, an hour from anything major.

I think it is beautiful there, and wonderful dirt roads all over public land. It is a freedom-lovers paradise. But I am not sure it is an ideal location for a "distribution" center.

Back in the day, when I was in College, we did a case-study on a Utah company located in a small Utah town, "Stampin up!" And since their manufacturing and distribution was in a small Utah town, their shipping had an automatic delay, and they lost business because they could not (at least back then when I was in school) do any sort of expedited or "overnight" shipping. Me and my MBA class, (and their business leaders) estimated they lost significant amounts of money from people cancelling orders because there wasn't any sort of expediated or  "overnight" shipping, and moving the company wasn't an option. UPS, USPS, and FedEx cant ship from small towns in the middle of nowhere like they can from cities next to major thoroughfares.

Maybe you have already looked at that... But as I see it, Delta is a wonderful location for a freedom-lover. But it isn't next to any major highways, and it is hours away from any major airport. Not knowing any other details, I have trouble recommending it as a "distribution" hub, and I have trouble recommending it as a good place for a central "training center."
Page Hometown » Utah
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top