Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Utah
Posted: 3/24/2021 9:36:43 AM EDT
Anyone live out near the Sandy/Parker area? Considering abandoning Colorado to the Liberals, these people are nuts.
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 10:25:19 AM EDT
[#1]
F off, we are full?

Also, moving to Salt Lake county to escape liberalism...
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 11:11:59 AM EDT
[#2]
The question is good, but you will probably not like the answer.  Salt Lake County, and northern Utah County are probably the most liberal out of all the areas of Utah.  This is due to the large influx of California and (Colorado) liberals moving to take jobs on Utah's Silicon Slope.  Unless you absolutely have to live in an urban area I would recommend that you gird your loins for a shock as to how long you will have to commute to live in actual free area.
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 12:00:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The question is good, but you will probably not like the answer.  Salt Lake County, and northern Utah County are probably the most liberal out of all the areas of Utah.  This is due to the large influx of California and (Colorado) liberals moving to take jobs on Utah's Silicon Slope.  Unless you absolutely have to live in an urban area I would recommend that you gird your loins for a shock as to how long you will have to commute to live in actual free area.
View Quote

I work from home when I'm not on sales calls and my wife travels for work too (mining equipment). Alot of my customers are in SLC, but also outlying rural locations, we just want to be somewhere near some amenities and a major airport for travel.

Can't see how it could be worse than the front range, you go out for dinner and seems like half the wait staff are trannies with purple hair and catch a lot of second hand weed smoke just driving through the neighborhood.

Is that area of SLC a liberal stronghold? I spotted it on Niche.com and it said it "leaned conservative"...

Card carrying Life NRA member here, would actively vote against Romneys and the like.
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 2:15:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Sandy/Draper for sure leans more to the right than then left.  Plenty of libs moving in but they are not the majority.  Not even close.

It’s a nice area.  It’s busy and crowded IMO...but it sounds like you are used to that and want some aspects of that.

I live in North Utah county and very few are liberal.  I know everyone in my neighborhood and only a handful are liberal.  

There are amazing mountain bike trials right there in Draper if that is one of your things.
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 2:18:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

I’m in north east Utah county.  I’d say it’s less than 5% liberal.  At least based on my immediate area.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 11:28:17 PM EDT
[#6]
I live right smack in the middle of Draper. Although a bit more liberal than it used to be, it will still feel pretty conservative for where you're coming from.

Draper is getting VERY expensive. It's one of the most expensive zip codes in the state. We built a house in 2010, at the bottom of the market and great recession. Very good timing on our part. I couldn't afford to build a house here now.

Nice people, but plenty of fake superficial types. It seems like some of the Real Housewives of Salt Lake are from Draper. The stereotype would be the bleach-blond 35 year old woman with fake boobs, a black Escalade and a Starbucks in hand. And there's lots of them. I'm on Nextdoor.com here under a pseudonym, and it's pretty funny. Lots of keeping up with the Joneses.

Lots of growing pains. More traffic, as lots of people are moving here, as well as northern Utah County, as they're really positioning the area as a big high tech hub.

Having said that, the Mormon Church is very strong here and influential here. Still pretty conservative overall. My three neighbors all have lots of guns and several animals mounted on their walls.

Link Posted: 4/3/2021 9:25:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I live right smack in the middle of Draper. Although a bit more liberal than it used to be, it will still feel pretty conservative for where you're coming from.

Draper is getting VERY expensive. It's one of the most expensive zip codes in the state. We built a house in 2010, at the bottom of the market and great recession. Very good timing on our part. I couldn't afford to build a house here now.

Nice people, but plenty of fake superficial types. It seems like some of the Real Housewives of Salt Lake are from Draper. The stereotype would be the bleach-blond 35 year old woman with fake boobs, a black Escalade and a Starbucks in hand. And there's lots of them. I'm on Nextdoor.com here under a pseudonym, and it's pretty funny. Lots of keeping up with the Joneses.

Lots of growing pains. More traffic, as lots of people are moving here, as well as northern Utah County, as they're really positioning the area as a big high tech hub.

Having said that, the Mormon Church is very strong here and influential here. Still pretty conservative overall. My three neighbors all have lots of guns and several animals mounted on their walls.

View Quote

Sounds like Scottsdale, AZ honestly.

Housing prices are comparable to mundane neighborhoods here in the Front Range. My grandfather always told me to buy the least expensive house in the best neighborhood...

How well can a non-LDS family expect to integrate into the community?
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 7:37:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 12:34:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

How well can a non-LDS family expect to integrate into the community?
View Quote

Its not as bad as it used to be.

Born and raised here, Catholic upbringing. Back when I was growing up there was no shortage of other kids who were standoff-ish towards me due to where I spent Sunday morning.

Smaller, more rural communities may be a little old school in this regard, but most any place along the Wasatch Front will now have a large mix of various beliefs, so I doubt it will be much of an issue. My kids don't seem to have an issue with finding and making friends. Just understand that some days of the week (Family Home Evening) and Sundays will likely be off limits to visitors.

ETA:

I'm west of Draper, if you end up there let me know, first beer is on me.
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 1:19:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Non LDS living in Utah county.   Not really a big deal.  Just ignore the assholes.  

It's getting really crowded and expensive around here now.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 3:00:10 AM EDT
[#11]
I lived in Douglas County and moved to Utah County about 5 years ago.  I've also lived all over the west, and moving to Utah was definitely the largest culture shock.  You get used to it, and when you leave the state it slaps you in the face, but it is what it is.  Douglas County has changed a lot since I lived there, but it at least was very conservative (to a fault).

You'll miss the monsoon season, Bubbles Liquor World (or alcohol in general), things to do in a city, and dining out.  You'll learn to hate smog and wind, as the SLC-Provo valley has about the worst air in the country.  Drivers are a little worse in Utah than Colorado (OK, much worse LOL).

The LDS thing hasn't really been an issue since I've lived here, though I have been told it used to be much worse.  The biggest thing is people used to just assume I was LDS, so they'd strike up small talk at the store or something talking about very LDS-specific things that I didn't understand.  Just be polite and it's no big deal.  Shopping though is a big thing.  Families are huge here and in Utah County everything but the big box stores are closed on Sundays (even some of the big malls), so going shopping means fighting through huge crowds of families.  Also, my best friends I've met through work.  Most of my coworkers are LDS, and you won't hang out with them outside of work if you aren't LDS.  They are busy with large families and church functions several times a week.  It's also hard to describe, but I guess I'd just say there's a bit of a divide between LDS and non-LDS that's a cultural issue.  It's never a problem though and we all get along fine, and all of the people I know are very kind and generous.

SLC I think is kind of unique because in any big city in the country you Google "things to do in XYZ" and it comes back with 30 pages of museums, night clubs, attractions, sports venues, etc.  SLC has "go for a hike" and "visit a temple".  Provo adds "impromptu comedy club".  There is a really nice aviary in SLC, and a museum, and a botanical garden.

The church is very involved in politics, which is a double-edged sword.  You get the things you expect, but I also think it's a huge reason why Utah will be a political holdout long after everywhere else has fallen--which is nothing to sneeze at.  If you're looking for political asylum, I don't think Utah can be beat.  Like Colorado, Utah has a ton of outdoor stuff to do.  If you own a brodozer and a pile of UTVs you'll fit right in!

ETA: Oh yeah, you'll miss ketchup.  Fry sauce has unilaterally replaced ketchup in Utah.  When I do get ketchup now when I'm out, it's quite a treat.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 10:11:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

ETA: Oh yeah, you'll miss ketchup.  Fry sauce has unilaterally replaced ketchup in Utah.  When I do get ketchup now when I'm out, it's quite a treat.
View Quote

Fry Sauce and John Moses Browning are Utah's gifts to the world.

Link Posted: 4/29/2021 9:52:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Like the OP, we're planning our exit from Colorado.  Nearly 30 years ago when we came to Colorado Springs it was still known as a bastion of conservative (or at least libertarian) values.   Now that Colorado has turned perma-Blue, I fully expect the Springs to go blue within 10 yrs.   The feel of the area is we're already and getting worse at a rapid pace.   We've been looking at Utah for far too long and wonder now if we missed the chance since it seems like the housing market there is on par with Colorado.   Watching the trend in UT I'm wondering if - despite the power of the LDS - if UT is on the heels of CO's transition from red to purple to blue.   Sure the state as a whole may still be largely red and the LDS is no trivial matter when it comes to the politics of the state, but once SLC metro flips it's over, no?   Much like the front range of Colorado decides for the rest of the state, just like LA/SF does for Cali.

FWIW:  I telecommute and my wife homeschools our kids, so I am NOT looking to the SLC valley as long as I can get decent (non-satellite) broadband internet.    We were leaning heavily toward Morgan or Heber but the housing market growth has priced us out of those now.     I've intended to go back and spend more time in/around Cedar City because that size appeals to us too.
Page Hometown » Utah
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top