Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Utah
Site Notices
Posted: 1/20/2021 10:48:19 AM EDT
So my wife and I are planning on making the move to Southern Utah. We live in central Florida now and are over it. The humidity is awful and our area is growing out of control. We want to live somewhat near to the St. George area but we want a piece of property in a rural area. We are willing to commute a little for work maybe 45 min or so to be able to live more rural. So my question is whats life like in that area? What is the job market like? Just going on indeed I see a lot of lower wage jobs. I have worked in Natural gas and propane for 20 yrs and now in Safety at the same company. My wife isn’t currently working but has experience in management and HR in the health care field.  Anything else We should know about life out there would be great. We love the outdoors and southern Utah is such a beautiful place.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 3:00:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I get down the way pretty frequently but I don’t know much about the job market.  

Some cool close areas to look at might be:

Gunlock
Leeds
Veyo area

Wish I had more info I’m sure others will chime in.

And st George is hot as hell in the summer but it’s a dry heat!
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 3:53:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I get down the way pretty frequently but I don’t know much about the job market.  

Some cool close areas to look at might be:

Gunlock
Leeds
Veyo area

Wish I had more info I’m sure others will chime in.

And st George is hot as hell in the summer but it’s a dry heat!
View Quote

Thanks! Its hot as hell here in Florida too. Except here you are drenched in sweat at 8am and sweating as soon as you get out of the shower. Multiple shirt changes throughout the day. Thats from mid May to October.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 6:47:35 PM EDT
[#3]
St george is spreading out fast and filling up with people from California but there are still some rural areas I'm in toquerville and its fairly small still but growing you could try virgin but not much land is for sale and it goes fast then there is apple Valley it is open with lots of horse ranches but driving to st george will take forever its one lane to Hurricane then sr9 from there if you go all the way to cedar city its cooler in the summer but it snows a lot in the winter its about a 45 min drive north as for wages prepare for a big hit housing prices are going up there is lots of buyers from out of state with money buying everything and local wages are low so locals are struggling to find housing for example i bought my lot 4 years ago for 20k the lot next to me thats half the size and oddly shaped just sold for 110k . The area is a great place to live if you love being outdoors you should come here in the spring and spend a week driving around and checking places out im sure you will find somewhere you like close buy
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:00:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
St george is spreading out fast and filling up with people from California but there are still some rural areas I'm in toquerville and its fairly small still but growing you could try virgin but not much land is for sale and it goes fast then there is apple Valley it is open with lots of horse ranches but driving to st george will take forever its one lane to Hurricane then sr9 from there if you go all the way to cedar city its cooler in the summer but it snows a lot in the winter its about a 45 min drive north as for wages prepare for a big hit housing prices are going up there is lots of buyers from out of state with money buying everything and local wages are low so locals are struggling to find housing for example i bought my lot 4 years ago for 20k the lot next to me thats half the size and oddly shaped just sold for 110k . The area is a great place to live if you love being outdoors you should come here in the spring and spend a week driving around and checking places out im sure you will find somewhere you like close buy
View Quote

Thank you. Yes we plan to head out there at some point this year. Wages in Florida suck as well so I’m used to that.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 10:24:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Florida is a very hard place to make a living. Yes there are less taxes than most states, but the pay really sucks here. I do ok being in utilities, but could make a ton more up north doing what I do. Most folks here struggle. As more people from The northeast move here  the property values are going up and it’s getting harder for people that live here  to afford homes. I guess thats good for me because when I sell I will get more. (We own our home outright) As long as I move somewhere cheaper I can be ahead of the game.

Unfortunately I see Florida being another California in the next 10yrs or so.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 4:44:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Enterprise
Veyo
Dammeron Valley
Diamond Valley
Winchester Hills
Leeds
Torquerville
New Harmony
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 5:03:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Updates?
We're looking at doing the same. We're gonna fly out there for a week just to take a look around.
Link Posted: 10/1/2021 11:29:41 AM EDT
[#8]
@bw77 what part of Central Florida do you live in? I'm in the Nature Coast area (Citrus/Hernando counties) and we're heading to Utah for our honeymoon.

Did you end up moving yet or no?
Page Hometown » Utah
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top