Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Utah
Site Notices
Posted: 1/17/2021 10:28:26 PM EDT
Currently reside in Indiana, and not law enforcement. Im 26 currently work maintenance at a large chemical company and looking to possibly move west for the outdoors before I get to old or in debt to make a major change. Im been cruising the Indeed job posting and see a lot of LEO postings that seem to have decent pay attached to them. Ive kinda always regretted not joining the military and it may sound silly but feel like I haven't don't "my part". Any tips or things to know about trying to get on from out of state? Looking to be around the SLC area within an hour or so. Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:51:32 AM EDT
[#1]
At fitcon the highway patrol was looking to hire
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:05:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 1:23:34 PM EDT
[#3]
The only caution I would mention to you is stay away from law enforcement positions in the Salt Lake City Police Department.  The current Salt Lake City Mayor is a liberal loon.  She is turning the department into a babysitting service instead of a  law enforcement organization.  Other than that. WELCOME TO UTAH!
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:58:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Unless you have a damn near spotless record don't bother with UHP.
Please let the prison be your absolute last possibility.

Utah POST's website will have some LEO job openings on it too and will give you physical fitness requirements.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 9:21:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Utah POST's website will have some LEO job openings on it too and will give you physical fitness requirements.
View Quote

Have to do a little digging, I’ve got 2 tickets but that’s all I’ve got on my record. Wonder if that’s enough to disqualify.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 9:24:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The only caution I would mention to you is stay away from law enforcement positions in the Salt Lake City Police Department.  The current Salt Lake City Mayor is a liberal loon.  She is turning the department into a babysitting service instead of a  law enforcement organization.  Other than that. WELCOME TO UTAH!
View Quote

Any cities outside SLC that you would recommend overall, not just for work but living?
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 11:28:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 2:03:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Any cities outside SLC that you would recommend overall, not just for work but living?
View Quote

I would say that most cities outside of Salt Lake City are okay with the exceptions of West Valley City, South Salt Lake, Kearns, Midvale.  There are areas within those cities I mentioned that are nice and very livable, but be very careful of where you put your roots down.  The Salt Lake County Sherriff services a lot of urban/suburban areas within the county.  Some of those areas can have higher crime rates.  The farther south you can live and work in Salt Lake County area the happier I think you will be.  I live in West Jordan and think it is great.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:52:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:25:04 AM EDT
[#10]
@medicmandan
@out4trout

What is the average housing cost around West Jordan? High cost of living compared to other areas?
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 2:43:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
@medicmandan
@out4trout

What is the average housing cost around West Jordan? High cost of living compared to other areas?
View Quote

Expensive but it’s a decent place. It’s getting hard to find homes anywhere in the valley though and most places are selling for more than asking price if they are in good shape.

Cost of living isn’t bad, West Jordan is a little more “high end” than its neighboring cities but it’s still part of Salt Lake City.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 7:39:15 PM EDT
[#12]
To tell you the truth in today's market I would come close to net being able to afford the house I currently live in.  I've been in West Jordan for 15 years; bought my residence for $185,500.  Yes, I've put a lot of money into the house, but a friend who is an appraiser told me I could get an easy $385,000 to $420,000 on the open market no problem.  There are some fixer uppers on the market like I bought but they don't pop up everyday.  If I were you I'd rent to start out and get a realtor to be a "buyer's agent" to due your search work.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 7:47:14 PM EDT
[#13]
I live between Redwood and 1300 W., between 7000 S. of 7800 S. In the old "Greek Subdivision".
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 9:28:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
To tell you the truth in today's market I would come close to net being able to afford the house I currently live in.  I've been in West Jordan for 15 years; bought my residence for $185,500.  Yes, I've put a lot of money into the house, but a friend who is an appraiser told me I could get an easy $385,000 to $420,000 on the open market no problem.  There are some fixer uppers on the market like I bought but they don't pop up everyday.  If I were you I'd rent to start out and get a realtor to be a "buyer's agent" to due your search work.
View Quote

This is really the only thing holding me back honestly, I make double the nation average where I'm at now and for the 385-425 your talking about I can get 4-5 acres house and barn. But still not satisfied with not being around the mountains.. Planning a 2 week visit this spring to check out the area. Ive been to the parks, but need to do less "tourist" stuff and more look around of the living situation.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:32:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Have to do a little digging, I’ve got 2 tickets but that’s all I’ve got on my record. Wonder if that’s enough to disqualify.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You’d be fine then, UHP is actually hiring right now I do believe!

Whatever you do, when you’re filling out applications make for damn sure they are consistent and keep a copy of each one! At some point you’ll be hired and you don’t need POST saying you lied somewhere and mess with you getting or keeping your certification.

And remember to keep your integrity! POST can forgive A LOT of stuff but not so much if they catch you in a lie.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:34:54 AM EDT
[#16]
And take the NPOST test if you haven’t already!!
Page Hometown » Utah
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top