Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Utah
Posted: 10/20/2020 7:32:38 PM EDT
Is it just me or what?  This bastard is driving me insane.  How lame is it to line up four or five shills to claim that they are republicans but voting for McAdams?  I would have loved to vote for Burgess Owens but I do not reside in that voting district.  November 4th can’t come soon enough.
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 7:40:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm glad I cut the cord years ago. I haven't watched any political commercials this year.

I'll be marking my ballot for Owens.
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 7:42:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm in Curtis' district. I also cut the cord many years ago. Between that, Ublock Origin on the browser, and Pi-hole doing whole home ad-blocking, I hardly ever see or hear the ads.
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 7:45:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Pi-hole active here too. I also use facebook fence on my browser. I can't block facebook at the pi-hole because wife uses it.
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 12:32:45 AM EDT
[#4]
What is this mystical pi-hole you speak of?  Sounds like I need it.
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 12:53:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What is this mystical pi-hole you speak of?  Sounds like I need it.
View Quote
Start here:

https://pi-hole.net/

It's a very lightweight Linux program, designed to be run on a Raspberry Pi single board computer. Basically, you configure it on your home network (it's really easy) and then tell your router to point all DNS requests through the Pi-hole's IP address. A DNS lookup occurs whenever you open a new URL. It converts www.ar15.com to 3.20.85.27, which is one of AR15.com's server addresses.

So, the Pi-hole comes loaded with a list of thousands of ad servers and their IP addresses, and you can load lists with millions more if you want. When you load a page, like Yahoo.com, that page has a whole bunch of embedded ads and their server's IP addresses in the HTML code. Normally, your browser would request the ad link/graphic from the ad server and it displays in your page.

But since your request first goes through the Pi-hole, the IP address is checked to see if it's on the blocklists. If it is, the request is intercepted and sent to nowhere, aka, the pi-hole. That means that the ad server is never actually queried and that ad never loads on your page. The actual page you want now loads faster, uses less data and doesn't assault your eyes with obnoxious ads.

Here's what the top of my Pi-hole admin page looks like.

Link Posted: 10/21/2020 11:16:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Pi-hole really has piqued my interest.  I’m running one Raspberry Pi with a DVMEGA for a digital radio hotspot.  I think I’ll order another one and start playing with Pi-star.
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 1:24:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Pi-hole really has piqued my interest.  I'm running one Raspberry Pi with a DVMEGA for a digital radio hotspot.  I think I'll order another one and start playing with Pi-star.
View Quote

You can run it on a Pi, but can also run it on any Linux box or VM. I ran mine for a while on a Ubuntu VM on my FreeNAS box. Now I'm running it on my QNAP in a Docker container.

But Pi-hole is very light. You could probably run it on a Pi Zero.
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 12:33:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

‘’snip// I ran mine for a while on a Ubuntu VM on my FreeNAS box. Now I'm running it on my QNAP in a Docker container.

View Quote

I was looking into running in a VM on my FreeNAS server.  Right now, I have an enterprise server that mostly serves movies via Plex Media server to my friends and family.  This machine is capable of so much more.
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 12:50:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Well now you've gone and done it and mentioned 3 of my favorite things - FreeNAS, Pi-hole and Plex.

I've got a Supermicro Xeon 1245 V3 with 56 TB of storage running FreeNAS in the rack in the basement. It runs Plex in a jail and a Ubuntu VM that runs Pi-hole. It's ridiculously overpowered for this.

If you're wanting to go Pi-hole, someone just posted this deal in GD:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YRSYR3M?tag=arfcom00-20

Make sure you click the 20% coupon.
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 12:17:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Attachment Attached File

We think alike Doc...
Page Hometown » Utah
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top