Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Utah
Posted: 3/3/2020 12:02:59 PM EDT
I'm gonna put both of these out here and see which one takes hold better, and let the other go by the wayside.

Option 1: Signal chat room. Signal is a secure/encrypted messaging application that runs over the Internet, similar to Whatsapp, and routinely passes security audits from third parties. I have some conspiracies about it but none of them have panned out in the public sphere so I'll keep my opinions to myself.  Signal will sync messages sent on one device across all your authorized devices.  It supports things like "reactions," inline replies, custom profiles, and everything you'd expect from a basic messaging program today.

Pros: Free, easy, secure.
Cons: No open-mic chat room, Could be an FBI glowtrap

Signal for IOS
Signal for Droid
Signal for MacOS
Signal for Windows

Once you're signed up, DM me and I will get you added into the Utah RKBA chat room.

Option 2: Discord. Discord is a very popular chat/voice program with computer gamers but it has become the defacto standard for a free conferencing and IRC chat room replacement for all purposes, beyond gaming. It's free for standard/basic users, offers everything Signal does, and is available multi-platform. It's also probably another FBI glowtrap

Pros: Modern, integrated voice chat, stable, feature-rich, free
Cons: Not encrypted, likely an FBI glowtrap

Discord for IOS
Discord for Droid
Discord for MacOS
Discord for Windows

The invite link is here: https://discord.gg/UyGHc9y

I've removed the Discord server. In fact, unless you're using totally fake/benign info in Discord, I'd probably recommend removing it all together ...
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 12:26:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Done
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 12:32:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Why not Telegram?
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 12:35:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why not Telegram?
View Quote
Because I forgot about Telegram

I also excluded Wire, Slack and a few others if you makes you feel better
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 12:37:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Telegram is encrypted as well.  I think there are more people already on Telegram.  I do hear good things about signal as well.
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 12:48:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Telegram was used by much of arfcom up to the rally in VA and many people are still using it.  You can find me on Telegram with the same username.

Signal is being used as the primary source of comms by the founders of the BB movement.  I am also using Signal and I'd prefer to keep it as the main comm source for the UBB.  If that's a problem please let me know and we can discuss it, but the main reason for keeping Signal is only to simplify comms all around.
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 11:09:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Line is also a good resource. Fully encrypted with letter sealing. If there's interest I'd be happy to setup a group chat. - Probably feeds data to China.

Google Play
iOS
Windows
Apple OS
Chrome
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 10:50:12 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't have any idea what you guys are talking about
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 10:58:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
Secret chat room for discussing meal ideas to use up surplus crab meat.
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 11:08:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
and model trains carrying fruit plates.
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 1:55:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What about the 87 Walmart deals?
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 1:58:41 PM EDT
[#11]
I realize that the AR15.com hometown forums don't get a lot of exposure but why add another way to communicate?  I don't Facebook, for several reasons, the main one being that they aren't pro-gun like arfcom is, and you never know when they might shutdown the conversation.
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 3:27:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I realize that the AR15.com hometown forums don't get a lot of exposure but why add another way to communicate?  I don't Facebook, for several reasons, the main one being that they aren't pro-gun like arfcom is, and you never know when they might shutdown the conversation.
View Quote
A couple of reasons for it, but don't think that we are committed to FB or anything else.  We are testing the waters to see what works best.

Reasons for FB-
- Lots of people are already on
- We can restrict the views if we need to.  The Hometown forum here is open to the public.  While that's not a particular concern, we at least want the ability to somewhat restrict views.  We are also following some of the leadership of the VA guys as they explore alternative comms.  
- Cross-posting is easy.  As DarkCharisma works on the political side the FB pages are unrivaled for spreading messages and posting open information.  Things like the rally at the State Capitol were posted on FB and it's easy to get a LOT of views quickly.  So while we can restrict views on the one side, we can also quickly make things very public.

Again, we are wide open to alternatives.  We've also been using Telegram and Signal on a small scale.
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 7:33:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
Primarily, it's private and real-time.

Those orgs may not be "pro-gun" but Arfcom is open to anyone who wants to look.
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 1:10:58 AM EDT
[#14]
DM sent for signal.

I don't trust the unencrypted apps
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 12:57:34 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm already on signal and am part of a couple groups there, but am open to extending my Utah like minded individuals network.
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 11:23:30 AM EDT
[#16]
I have Signal for 3 years now. I'll send you a DM.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 12:32:31 AM EDT
[#17]
I'll download it and set up Signal tomorrow.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 3:30:48 AM EDT
[#18]
K I signed up with signal now what?
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 3:44:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
shoot me a dm and I'll add you .
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 1:00:30 AM EDT
[#20]
Tag for visibility
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 5:48:38 PM EDT
[#21]
DM sent
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 12:06:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's a secure and encrypted chat app.  Basically text.  Not book of faces.
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 6:53:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't trust Facebook and I don't have an issue with an encrypted chat app if we can trust it.  Looking at what is going on with Zoom and TikTok, I think we should use caution.

I can understand the reasons for communicating outside UTHTF but I think the exposure would help our cause by getting others to join us.
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 10:05:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I don't trust Facebook and I don't have an issue with an encrypted chat app if we can trust it.  Looking at what is going on with Zoom and TikTok, I think we should use caution.

I can understand the reasons for communicating outside UTHTF but I think the exposure would help our cause by getting others to join us.
View Quote

I can't speak for others, but I don't have any intention of discontinuing use of the HTF. The issue here is the lack of anonymity and no ability to delete your own content if it becomes prudent. Some people say it's a "Nothing to hide" scenario but the reality is we've already had members here whose online cover gets "blown" and people dig thru forums looking for damning bits of content, always without context.

Really, when it comes to who you can trust, sometimes it's security through obscurity, and nothing more. Signal is admittedly the second-least favorite of mine (I prefer Wire or a roll-your-own Riot or IRC) but it beats the hell out of Facebook Messenger, Discord chat, Instagram, Whatsapp, etc.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 11:53:10 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

You would like the group.  Very informative and easy to use.  We have some smart folks in here.  Besides you might be the guy we need for a comm. network that was talked about.
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 8:15:09 PM EDT
[#26]
PM me, I'm on Signal.  Wow, glad to see some familiar faces.
Link Posted: 6/8/2020 12:09:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sure thing my dude.
Link Posted: 6/8/2020 12:10:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Inbox full.
Link Posted: 7/5/2020 10:45:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Had a lot of new members join. Anyone else?
Link Posted: 7/6/2020 12:46:46 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/6/2020 12:11:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

IM sent.
View Quote

Responded
Link Posted: 7/6/2020 12:13:03 PM EDT
[#32]
I deleted the Battle Buddies Discord server based on the latest findings and behavior of the Discord parent company.

We're Signal-only for now.

Link Posted: 7/7/2020 5:22:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Installing signal, will ping someone for an invite once I got it configured
Link Posted: 8/3/2020 10:53:01 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

IM sent.
View Quote
Lol, that's if dan even reads his non-encrypted text messages.  
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 3:41:22 PM EDT
[#35]
IM sent.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 11:53:38 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Request sent.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 12:36:43 PM EDT
[#37]
@GeeLeDouche @AR-JR I've responded (very late) to your IMs. I don't check Arfcom frequently anymore, my apologies ...
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 9:56:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Re added on new phone request sent
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 2:36:12 PM EDT
[#39]
All responses answered.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 5:29:30 PM EDT
[#40]
I am on now and sent a PM
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 6:51:45 PM EDT
[#41]
I signed up can you send an invite
Page Hometown » Utah
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top