Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Utah
Posted: 7/1/2017 6:33:15 PM EDT
My wife and I are under contract for the sale of our home here in Vegas and are relocating back to Utah to be closer to family.  We're looking at building a house on some property in Summit County out towards Lewis Peak/Wanship and need to get a list of contractors so we can start getting bids.  I already have a plumber, siding, and windows guys.  Looking primarily for:

Concrete, driveway, footings/foundation work;
HVAC/mechanical;
Electricians;
Roofing;
Excavation.

We've got a few, but the more we get, the better.  Also anyone who's familiar with the process in the county feel free to drop your thoughts here. Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 8:56:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Email sent
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 1:56:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Email sent
View Quote
Received and added to the list of contractors, thank you sir!
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 8:59:26 AM EDT
[#3]
You are welcome. Tell him Brad referred you.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 3:24:07 PM EDT
[#4]
I am a general and have a bit of advice, right now half of my subs will not even bid a homeowner builder, the other half will add 25% for dealing with the scheduling.  Pick a good general with good subs.

We are at roughly the same level of permits as 2007 and only at 60% of the labor force, your project is going to take some extra time.  DR Horton/Richmond (don't buy those) was building in under 3 months last year and now its closer to 5 (I do custom so I couldn't build that fast).

PM me for some references, I will need to know your budget to give you the best options.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 6:22:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I am a general and have a bit of advice, right now half of my subs will not even bid a homeowner builder, the other half will add 25% for dealing with the scheduling.  Pick a good general with good subs.

We are at roughly the same level of permits as 2007 and only at 60% of the labor force, your project is going to take some extra time.  DR Horton/Richmond (don't buy those) was building in under 3 months last year and now its closer to 5 (I do custom so I couldn't build that fast).

PM me for some references, I will need to know your budget to give you the best options.
View Quote
Definitely will as soon as I have the right context to ask, thank you very much.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 12:02:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Definitely will as soon as I have the right context to ask, thank you very much.
View Quote
Do you have a lot yet?
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 2:24:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Do you have a lot yet?
View Quote
Our financing fell through, we don't own a lot yet. Should be August when we do
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 12:41:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
I have a good realtor that sells that area if you need help finding one.  My load guy is awesome too, he pulls multiple sources for funding and is a local in that area too.  

I have all the people you'd need to get going.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 1:30:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have a good realtor that sells that area if you need help finding one.  My load guy is awesome too, he pulls multiple sources for funding and is a local in that area too.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm working with a realtor (Jeff Camp's team @ High Country Properties) but I'd be interested in your feedback on preferred lot and construction loan lenders.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 12:33:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I'm working with a realtor (Jeff Camp's team @ High Country Properties) but I'd be interested in your feedback on preferred lot and construction loan lenders.
View Quote
I will send you a PM with my info, probably best to just have you call or text me.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 6:28:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Do you already have plans drawn up?  I know a few guys that draw custom homes, and of course I'm around to help if you need engineering.  Not sure if those counties require it, Sanpete only requires engineering over 6200' elevation or more than single-story.  I did a little bit of work in the midway area and they are insane.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 11:39:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Do you already have plans drawn up?  I know a few guys that draw custom homes, and of course I'm around to help if you need engineering.  Not sure if those counties require it, Sanpete only requires engineering over 6200' elevation or more than single-story.  I did a little bit of work in the midway area and they are insane.
View Quote
Hey again !

Yep I finished most of the design of my house in a 3d modeling program last night. Meeting with an architect tomorrow AM.

Wasatch and Summit counties definitely have a rulebook that rivals the size of the full US tax code... But it's mostly appearance, fire and flood prevention, and insulation. Our arch works primarily in those two counties and says he can navigate them well. Here's hoping. We don't have any leads for an engineer at the moment though. I'll post back when we get done with our arch in the morning.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 12:10:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Anyone ever install a metal roof before? It's a popular look up there over shingles and my wife has really been smitten by it.  AFAIK it's cheaper than a shingled roof but neither remember where  I heard that from nor have any way to confirm it's accuracy...
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 11:53:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Anyone ever install a metal roof before? It's a popular look up there over shingles and my wife has really been smitten by it.  AFAIK it's cheaper than a shingled roof but neither remember where  I heard that from nor have any way to confirm it's accuracy...
View Quote
Lots of metal, yes.  It's cheaper only if your roof is simple and be the same cost or more, depending.

Who is the architect?  I know 2 good engineers.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 12:59:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Went and talked to the architect. Using Mitch Lee formerly of Arrive Homes. My wife went to high school with him, he's giving us a friend's and family discount. He's done tons of work up in Oakley, Park City and Heber so is familiar with the code and appearance.

Offer went in on the lot today as well. Fingers crossed
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 2:55:25 PM EDT
[#16]
hopefully you can find someone who doesn't use illegal labor castle creek who we just bought from used almost all illegal labor none could speak English at all and their skill level was poor at best. we have had to have them back to fix numerous screw-ups. half assed work at best. one house down the road the buyers looked at their home and was like hey the ceilings are not vaulted correctly (trusses were wrong) builder said 4500 to fix it they said FU were not buying that ! we are out ! now they are ripping the entire roof and ceilings out at their expense to fix it right. (No Habla fuckers). If I'd have know this we certainly would have just stayed in our old home. every builder in our area (northern Utah) is using these same groups of illegals fucking sad.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 4:04:55 PM EDT
[#17]
I know plenty of guys that are legal, pay taxes and don't speak English, but there is plenty of illegals in the labor force too.  Castle Creek...  yeah, not the best reputation from what I've heard, but I've never had personal experience with them (of course I'm a custom builder so I don't like most people).

The hacks are coming out in full swing, make sure you have an independent inspector look at your project (someone qualified, not on "Home inspection" company) at the major milestones.

Also, your project will be delayed, the schedule will not hold.  Materials is a major problem right now, we've run out of drywall, Morton and a few other normal things like plumbing parts.  It's not your builders fault.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 2:58:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Offer was accepted today and we've wired EMD.  We close on our sale tomorrow and have to hand over keys this weekend.  Financing secured for the lot and sending an appraiser/surveyor/perc as soon as we're able, probably late next week.

Quoted:

Also, your project will be delayed, the schedule will not hold.  Materials is a major problem right now, we've run out of drywall, Morton and a few other normal things like plumbing parts.  It's not your builders fault.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

That's fine with me. I'm not really in any hurry -- the longer it takes the more I can bankroll with cash vs. building loan anyway

Has there been a supply disruption or just peak building season?

Quoted:
hopefully you can find someone who doesn't use illegal labor castle creek who we just bought from used almost all illegal labor none could speak English at all and their skill level was poor at best. we have had to have them back to fix numerous screw-ups. half assed work at best. one house down the road the buyers looked at their home and was like hey the ceilings are not vaulted correctly (trusses were wrong) builder said 4500 to fix it they said FU were not buying that ! we are out ! now they are ripping the entire roof and ceilings out at their expense to fix it right. (No Habla fuckers). If I'd have know this we certainly would have just stayed in our old home. every builder in our area (northern Utah) is using these same groups of illegals fucking sad.
Noted re: Castle Creek, thanks. I'll avoid.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 9:37:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Offer was accepted today and we've wired EMD.  We close on our sale tomorrow and have to hand over keys this weekend.  Financing secured for the lot and sending an appraiser/surveyor/perc as soon as we're able, probably late next week.

That's fine with me. I'm not really in any hurry -- the longer it takes the more I can bankroll with cash vs. building loan anyway

Has there been a supply disruption or just peak building season?

Noted re: Castle Creek, thanks. I'll avoid.
View Quote
Massive supply disruptions, there is no peak right now its just an ever climbing mountain, both.  Its bad, normally we've hit peak lumber prices by now but they are still headed up.

We have fires in Oregon and Canada and a refusal of the suppliers to hold stock.  Everyone got hit with millions in inventory in 2008, so its tough.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 12:32:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Massive supply disruptions, there is no peak right now its just an ever climbing mountain, both.  Its bad, normally we've hit peak lumber prices by now but they are still headed up.

We have fires in Oregon and Canada and a refusal of the suppliers to hold stock.  Everyone got hit with millions in inventory in 2008, so its tough.
View Quote
Makes sense. We're not in any hurry so delays will be taken in stride.  

Question about driveway ... We won't be able to build the house itself until spring 2018, just due to timing. In the fall I'd like to cut my driveway and pour concrete.  Am I going to have trouble with equipment on a standard pour slab? Should I wait until the rest of the house is done and do driveway last?
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 11:22:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Makes sense. We're not in any hurry so delays will be taken in stride.  

Question about driveway ... We won't be able to build the house itself until spring 2018, just due to timing. In the fall I'd like to cut my driveway and pour concrete.  Am I going to have trouble with equipment on a standard pour slab? Should I wait until the rest of the house is done and do driveway last?
View Quote
Driveway will get beat to F.  Have them prep the gravel and then do a touchup before the pour.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 12:56:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Driveway will get beat to F.  Have them prep the gravel and then do a touchup before the pour.
View Quote
Would you recommend asphalt over concrete in those conditions? I always had this (admittedly unfounded) belief that asphalt is better for extreme freezing/wet conditions since it's pliable?
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 10:04:48 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Would you recommend asphalt over concrete in those conditions? I always had this (admittedly unfounded) belief that asphalt is better for extreme freezing/wet conditions since it's pliable?
View Quote
A track hoe will scar the top, heavy trucks will leave ruts.  Not a fan of asphault unless you go super thick and spend a lot of money compacting it.  Don't park anything heavy on it, and don't have an HOA, its almost certain to be prohibited. 

Whats best is concrete with a good sealer and don't use ice melt.  Ice melt is the reason the top layer starts to pit and chip and flake, good sealer will help, but you are still going to have the problem.  DO NOT SPRAY THE SEALER ON THE TOP.  It doesn't look as clean to roll it on, but if you spray it beads up and you wasted time and money, complete coverage is not achieved.  JBP sells an awesome sealer, that's probably where your concrete will come from any way.  Don't pour concrete on top of frost or frozen ground and your good.  With concrete the trucks will crack the shiz out of it.

Drop 4" of gravel and wait.  You'll regret it if you don't, regardless of weather its concrete or asphalt.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 11:05:57 PM EDT
[#24]
hey @lcpl1812, how late into the season are y'all building right now?

Our survery, perc test and appraisal should all be done this week and with any luck we'll move through closing and have the property by early September.   I'd love to get a foundation, roof, and exterior walls on it so I can work on finishing it through the winter months.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:31:34 AM EDT
[#25]
Year round.  You will hit some snow removal and winter building costs, but work doesn't stop, it just takes longer.

Edit:

Excivation
Soils report
Footings, foundation, undergound, damp proofing etc
Backfill
Interior Flatwork
Framing
4 way items

That's you first few months depending on the size of the home.  Several other things in that the frame but those are the big ones.  Right now that's 2-5 months of work, assuming you have the guys and depending on the home size.  I doubt you'll get a hole dug before mid-late October honestly, but make sure everything up to backfill is set in stone or your going to be paying dearly for frost removal.  Get your gas line going as soon as you dig, or you'll be sorry. 
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 1:12:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Year round.  You will hit some snow removal and winter building costs, but work doesn't stop, it just takes longer.

Edit:

Excivation
Soils report
Footings, foundation, undergound, damp proofing etc
Backfill
Interior Flatwork
Framing
4 way items

That's you first few months depending on the size of the home.  Several other things in that the frame but those are the big ones.  Right now that's 2-5 months of work, assuming you have the guys and depending on the home size.  I doubt you'll get a hole dug before mid-late October honestly, but make sure everything up to backfill is set in stone or your going to be paying dearly for frost removal.  Get your gas line going as soon as you dig, or you'll be sorry. 
View Quote
Thank you very much for your input. I'm not necessarily in any hurry, is it worth waiting until the spring to start building in earnest?
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 6:17:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Thank you very much for your input. I'm not necessarily in any hurry, is it worth waiting until the spring to start building in earnest?
View Quote
Eh, depends on the term of your loan.  You might have to get started just to keep from loosing your loan.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 8:18:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Eh, depends on the term of your loan.  You might have to get started just to keep from loosing your loan.
View Quote

I'm taking a lot loan then a construction loan when I start building.  No hurry really until I start that second loan, then I'm on a 12 mo timer.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 3:23:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Then you can pretty much do whatever you want.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 11:54:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Questions for those who have had surveys done before. Is it normal to do a topo map? We paid this surveyor, he went out and did a boundary survey, and is saying we owe him another $1000 if we want a topo. I am completely unaware what the standard fare is; is $2k normal for a topo + boundary survey?

Quoted:
Then you can pretty much do whatever you want.
View Quote
Just how I like it!
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 8:04:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Closed on the lot today. JUST GOT REAL
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 3:02:28 PM EDT
[#32]
You gonna get the drywall and wood before the cost from the Harvey rebuild makes prices go up?
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 7:06:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
You gonna get the drywall and wood before the cost from the Harvey rebuild makes prices go up?
View Quote
Not a chance.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 8:48:26 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
If the other one hits Florida its game over for OSB supplies...  Building is about to hit abrupt halt...
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 2:54:11 PM EDT
[#35]
So what, do I go to the building supply place and clean out their osb and gypsum board stock ?
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 12:40:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Anyone have experience with companies that work with rough timbers? I had about 60 dried timbers "convey" into my ownership on this property, that were originally for a cabin. I want to use these, as my house design incorporates a ton of rough hewn timber; I just need them planed square, and then I can use them for steps or beam work.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 2:01:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
So what, do I go to the building supply place and clean out their osb and gypsum board stock ?
View Quote
By the time you are ready it will probably be backup.

Sent you a PM with my number.
Page Hometown » Utah
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top