Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Utah
Site Notices
Posted: 1/6/2014 7:56:07 AM EDT
Hi

I am trying to make my own roller handle for a rcbs rock chucker.

Anyone have a wood lathe that I could spend 5 minutes on?  I need to bore a center hole through a wood dowel thats about 5 inches long.  I tried on my drill press, but no luck getting a straight hole.

Also need to find a welder that would be able to do a quick weld of the 1/4 x 6" bolt to attach it to a 5/8x20 nut that threads on the handle where the ball came off.

I am in Sandy, so preferably looking for someone in SL county or close

thanks
Link Posted: 1/8/2014 8:02:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Jimmy,

I could help you with it - I think...  

I've got a small welder and just picked up a mini-lathe for X-Mas (started getting into turning).  I am relatively new to both welding and turning, but I think I have what you might need.  I also have a large enough drill press to help also.

Only catch is that I will be out of town this week and part of next week.  I will be back Wednesday next week if that is not too late for you.  Feel free to IM me if I can help...

David
Link Posted: 1/8/2014 9:53:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks David

I am in absolutely no rush at all.  I appreciate the offer.

I will get in touch when you get back

Thanks again
Jim
Link Posted: 1/8/2014 10:39:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Sounds good.  I will let you know when I am back in town...
Link Posted: 1/8/2014 4:35:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/8/2014 6:21:36 PM EDT
[#5]
As long as you're making one yourself and chucking it up on a lathe, go all out.

Spend $6 on a nice Cocobolo blank, chuck it, drill it, turn it down, sand it to 2000 grit, burnish it, and let your hand exult in luxury every time you crank the press.  

Cocobolo is niiiiiiice.  One of the most dense woods, the more dense samples will sink in water.  Being so dense, it can finish up as smooth as glass.  My favorite wood to turn.
Link Posted: 1/8/2014 6:25:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

A mini-lathe?  Will it do 80% lowers?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Jimmy,

I've got a small welder and just picked up a mini-lathe for X-Mas (started getting into turning).  I am relatively new to both welding and turning, but I think I have what you might need.  I also have a large enough drill press to help also.

Only catch is that I will be out of town this week and part of next week.  I will be back Wednesday next week if that is not too late for you.  Feel free to IM me if I can help...

David

Interesting idea... a wood lathe generally has enough power to do small aluminum work, and I've done small steel bits and pieces, but not being a machinist, I'm not sure how you'd hold and manipulate the receiver.  Maybe I'll have to look into that....
Link Posted: 1/8/2014 7:00:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Jimmy,

David

It might not be the choice for 80's, but I think I have the machinery to do them though...  

I have 5 of them sitting here waiting on me to get off my butt and do them.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 9:20:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Jimmy,

Check your IM...  

Sorry for taking so long.  My trip was extended.  I drug the wood lathe out today for some projects and will be finishing up tomorrow (hopefully).  If you still need to stop by, my number is in the IM.  Feel free to give me a call...

David
Page Hometown » Utah
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top