Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Utah
Site Notices
Posted: 11/26/2013 12:53:30 PM EDT
I'm looking for a place to buy ar15 parts to include a lower. Googling only produced a source for polymer lowers. Believe it or not I'm actually semi mentally competent so I don't need a polymer lower.

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 11/26/2013 1:09:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I bought two Grizzly/LAR receivers from Get Some Guns in Murray for $80 each, last fall right before Sandy Hook.
Link Posted: 11/26/2013 6:28:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Are you a Utah resident?
Link Posted: 11/26/2013 8:36:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I picked up an aeroprecision lower from LANworld in Draper a few weeks ago, $75, not sure if price has changed since then though.
Link Posted: 11/28/2013 10:07:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Bean Firearms for a billet.
Link Posted: 11/29/2013 1:37:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are you a Utah resident?
View Quote

No and it bit me right in my butthole. I tried to buy a complete lower but I was unaware that even though it has the buttstock already on it the law treats it like a pistol,

Anyways thanks for the info guys.
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 6:48:14 AM EDT
[#6]
a completely stripped lower would need an FFL transfer as well if your not a Utah reisdent
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 7:11:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 1:59:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Can't buy it at all in the state of Utah if you're not a Utah resident.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
a completely stripped lower would need an FFL transfer as well if your not a Utah reisdent

He could buy it from a Utah dealer, but he would need to have them ship and transfer it to a FFL in his state.
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 2:12:04 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
He could buy it from a Utah dealer, but he would need to have them ship and transfer it to a FFL in his state.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

By the time you pay the fees, it's hardly worth it. Just buy a lower from an AZ dealer.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 9:53:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Where are you guys getting your answers?  

I believe the correct answer is YES, if its a RIFLE/Long Arm or SHOTGUN.  Depending on the FFL holder.

NO, if its a pistol as it HAS to go through an FFL holder in YOUR home State (of Residence).

References: From the ATF Federal Firearms Licensee Quick Reference and Best Practices Guide ( http://www.atf.gov/files/publications/download/p/atf-p-5300-15.pdf ), page 6:

"Permitted Sales to Non-Residents of Your State

You may sell a firearm to a person who does not reside in your State by shipping the firearm to a licensed dealer in the buyer’s State of residence and having the buyer take possession of the firearm from that licensee. The licensed dealer in the buyer’s State of residence is responsible for the Form 4473 and NICS background check. Your A&D records should reflect the transfer to the out-of-State FFL and not to the end purchaser.

You may make an over-the-counter sale of a rifle or shotgun to a non-resident if the transaction complies with all the laws of your State and the laws of the buyer’s State.

We recommend that you refer to the most recent edition of ATF’s State Laws and Published Ordinances–Firearms ( Utah: http://www.atf.gov/files/publications/download/p/atf-p-5300-5-31st-editiion/States/atf-p-5300-5-utah-2010.pdf ) , prior to consummating an over-the-counter sale of a rifle or shotgun to an out-of-State resident."
View Quote

Purchasing a Gun in Utah  http://publicsafety.utah.gov/bci/FirearmLaws.html#Purchasing

It is unlawful for a gun dealer to sell or transfer any firearm until an instant criminal history background check is conducted and approved by BCI.

A valid Utah concealed firearm permit may be used to waive the BCI background check and the corresponding fees. However, the dealer is still required to call BCI to confirm the validity of the concealed firearm permit.

A person who wishes to purchase a handgun must show proof of Utah residency.

A person who wishes to purchase a rifle or shotgun is not required to show Utah residency; however, the purchaser will be required to comply with the laws of the state in which he/she resides.

Laws governing the use of concealed firearms differ from state to state. It is important to understand the laws to ensure that your actions are in compliance with Utah law.

Sources: 53-5-704 Division duties - Utah Code §§ 23-20-11 et seq., 24-2-17, 76-10-301, 76-10-501 et seq.
View Quote

I am a resident of Utah though - so unassembled lowers may be different...  I couldn't locate a SPECIFIC reference though.

GET SOME just ended their $75 LAR GRIZZLY stripped lower sale today (just in time for the Hysteria to begin again this year...)

I got all of mine in time & on SALE!!

~Will
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 6:24:44 AM EDT
[#11]
I thought because a stripped lower can be turned into a pistol its treated like a handgun, but I could be mistaken.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 7:06:39 AM EDT
[#12]
AR receivers are treated differently than a completed rifle. Receivers, whether they are assembled with a butt stock or not, are treated like pistols. That means, can't sell to someone under 21 or sell to out of state residents.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 12:06:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Is there a reference for this above info?

I did find this rule clarification from the ATF: http://www.atf.gov/files/regulations-rulings/rulings/atf-rulings/atf-ruling-2011-4.pdf

It basically states, that receivers can be 'assembled' as a pistol, and to a 'rifle' and back to a pistol again as long as the laws are followed about 922(r) compliance and NFA laws.

I still have not seen a ruling or holding that JUST BECAUSE a weapon receiver (the serial numbered "WEAPON" part that is the WEAPON, & not just parts) CAN be made into a pistol, it HAS to be transferred as a PISTOL.  

If someone knows WHERE this is, please reference it.

Another belief: A firearm that has started life as a rifle, CAN NOT be made into a pistol, due to the wording in the law. You can go from pistol to rifle, and now back to pistol, but you CAN NOT go from rifle to pistol. ?

Confusing as hell !

EDITED TO ADD: Thanks MedicMan & Tactical Coyote!  I sincerely appreciate the references!  

Link Posted: 12/14/2013 7:23:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks medicmandan, beat me to it.

Quoted:
Another belief: A firearm that has started life as a rifle, CAN NOT be made into a pistol, due to the wording in the law. You can go from pistol to rifle, and now back to pistol, but you CAN NOT go from rifle to pistol. ?
Confusing as hell !
View Quote

This is correct. You can buy a stripped lower, and make it into a rifle or pistol and be perfectly legal. But if that lower/rifle came from the factory with a stock on it, it cannot be made into a pistol.
Page Hometown » Utah
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top