Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Utah
Posted: 8/8/2011 7:34:06 PM EDT
Looks like I'm coming home in October to join my dad on an elk/deer combo hunt up in the Uintah area. I haven't spent any time in that area in over 15 years, and haven't hunted in at least as long. Consequently, my hunting gear is a little dated, and I'm gonna have to upgrade. But since I'm not so avid of a hunter these days, I'm trying to find stuff that I can use both proffesionally and recreationally. So here's my list of things I'm pondering:

Weather: I can look up all the almanac data I want, but nothing's gonna be better than asking the locals what the weather is like that time of year, especially in the areas that aren't exactly populated. Rain gear is a must, so are warm cloths, but I don't imagine it's gonna be snowshoe time just yet. Anyone know of some good QUIET rain gear that might be available in the MC pattern????

Camo pattern: I've got a lot of woodland/ OD green stuff courtesy of Uncle Sam, but I'm not to fond of a lot of the gear. I'm considering some Multi-cam stuff for work, but how well would that pattern work out up there??? IIRC, don't I have to wear Orange anyway? Something like 400 square inches??

Water: I can carry as much water as I want, but damn it gets heavy. Not sure how my dad is these days, but we used to hunt for days at a time away from base camp. Is carrying my filter gonna be worth it? What kind of water is up there these days?

Guns: The only big bore rifle I have is my Savage 10 in .308. I built it up to be a long range rifle, but haven't had it past 200 yds so far. It does have a detatchable magazine though. Any restrictions on that???? Also, what are the coyotes like up there that time of year? Can you hunt them with a supressor??? Otherwise, I'm not gonna even consider that an option. Still gonna pack a pistol though. My UT CCW is still good for another year.

What other advise do you guys have?? I haven't done much more than pass through the state in the last 10 years, let alone kept up on the comings and goings of the Fish and Game. I'm sure I'm a little misguided in my focus right now, so set me on a path for success. Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 8:50:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Looks like I'm coming home in October to join my dad on an elk/deer combo hunt up in the Uintah (The town by Ogden? The National Forest?) area. I haven't spent any time in that area in over 15 years, and haven't hunted in at least as long(You better start training. Speed walk for a few weeks, then switch to jogging and hiking. Your heart, lungs, and joint swill thank you in October). Consequently, my hunting gear is a little dated, and I'm gonna have to upgrade. But since I'm not so avid of a hunter these days, I'm trying to find stuff that I can use both proffesionally and recreationally. So here's my list of things I'm pondering:

Weather: I can look up all the almanac data I want, but nothing's gonna be better than asking the locals what the weather is like that time of year, especially in the areas that aren't exactly populated. Rain gear is a must, so are warm cloths, but I don't imagine it's gonna be snowshoe time just yet(Snow is usually the norm in the country 10,000+ in Utah in October.). Anyone know of some good QUIET rain gear that might be available in the MC pattern????

Camo pattern: I've got a lot of woodland/ OD green stuff courtesy of Uncle Sam, but I'm not to fond of a lot of the gear. I'm considering some Multi-cam stuff for work, but how well would that pattern work out up there??? IIRC, don't I have to wear Orange anyway? Something like 400 square inches?? (For that specific hunt yes, 400 is the bare minimum.)

Water: I can carry as much water as I want, but damn it gets heavy. Not sure how my dad is these days, but we used to hunt for days at a time away from base camp. Is carrying my filter gonna be worth it? What kind of water is up there these days?(Hope fully you will have scouted out your area and know where the lakes, ponds, streams, springs are located. Then you can decide on what to need to carry. I would recommend scouting out the area and carrying a good filter such as the Katadyn Hiker or Platypus Gravity System I really love mine) I carry only carry 1-2 liters with me because our area has multiple places to get safe water, some of which is straight spring and needs no filtering.) I can send you Google Earth File that you plug into GE and it shows EVERY spring in the State.

Guns: The only big bore rifle I have is my Savage 10 in .308. I built it up to be a long range rifle, but haven't had it past 200 yds so far. It does have a detatchable magazine though. Any restrictions on that???? Also, what are the coyotes like up there that time of year? Can you hunt them with a supressor???( Yotes are good to go. If you get some with mange, please bury them. It really decrease it being spread.) Otherwise, I'm not gonna even consider that an option. Still gonna pack a pistol though. My UT CCW is still good for another year.

What other advise do you guys have?? I haven't done much more than pass through the state in the last 10 years, let alone kept up on the comings and goings of the Fish and Game. I'm sure I'm a little misguided in my focus right now, so set me on a path for success. Thanks in advance.

Train Train Train This could be the difference between having a fun successful hunt or someone getting lost in bad weather, injured, and not having  a very fun time.

Tell people where you are going and what your plan is and when you want to be back. Tell them the clothes you are wearing and take pictures of your boot soles.

You have plenty of time to get Ham certified and be able to have an excellent way to stay in touch with those on the mountain and those in camp.

Good luck.

Link Posted: 8/9/2011 11:47:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Rangefinders are useful, as is a basic GPS.  308 should be OK; I'd use a bullet that will hold together well like a Nosler Accubond or Partition.

Try not to be like me, and only check the range after I take the shot.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 3:04:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Zed,

Thanks for the advice. As for training, I already run a 7 minute mile and do so 3-4 days a week. I get in just under 10 with a 40+ lb pack, but it's all at sea level. So hopefully I'm doing enough to at least get by at elevation. I hadn't planned on much snow, but I'll pack the shoes just in case. Better to have and not need and all that jazz. As for the water, I run a Katadyn Hiker pretty regularly, so I could really benefit from the file you have. I also need to get a map of the area, preferably in MGRS if possible. Maybe I can make an overlay and pre-program my GPS accordingly as well. I'll IM you my email here shortly. Thanks again.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 6:28:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Zed,

Thanks for the advice. As for training, I already run a 7 minute mile and do so 3-4 days a week. I get in just under 10 with a 40+ lb pack, but it's all at sea level. So hopefully I'm doing enough to at least get by at elevation. I hadn't planned on much snow, but I'll pack the shoes just in case. Better to have and not need and all that jazz. As for the water, I run a Katadyn Hiker pretty regularly, so I could really benefit from the file you have. I also need to get a map of the area, preferably in MGRS if possible. Maybe I can make an overlay and pre-program my GPS accordingly as well. I'll IM you my email here shortly. Thanks again.

No problem. That is good you are in hiking shape. i just hear about so many people who get a good tag and are sadwhen they can;y walk 500 yards .

Another mapping program I like that is free is called USA Photomaps available HERE The useful part of this program is the maps can be downloaded and printed and once you download them you don;t need to have an internet connection. The black and white sat photo's are old, but give you a good general idea. The topo ones are the maps I use the most from it.

Link Posted: 8/9/2011 7:27:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Hello,
If by Uintahs you mean the Kamas area then I am sitting on my porch looking at them right now. Form experience I can tell you to be prepared for snow. It always seems to snow on the elk hunt.
Yes coyotes are fair game but they are not plentiful. Yes it is legal to hunt with a suppressor, and yes you can use a DBM but you may only have 5 rounds in the gun.
If you get in town early and i am not already in the hills hit me up. I have a range in Park City that goes out 900 yards you could check and make sure your go to go.

Good luck
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 12:53:04 PM EDT
[#6]
MCR I sent you a PM.
Page Hometown » Utah
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top