Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Utah
Posted: 8/23/2010 7:25:20 PM EDT
I will be in Yellowstone in a week or two. I usually CC, but my WA CPL is not recognized in WY.

I thought I read somewhere that you could carry concealed in WY without a CCW as long as you were not inside the limits of any city, but I haven't seen this confirmed. Is this correct, or will I be unable to carry concealed anywhere in WY?

What kind of reaction should I expect if I open carry in Yellowstone? I'm not used to OC, even though it's legal here in WA (I never see it in Seattle).

If I'm carrying in an IWB holster, with my shirt tucked in behind the gun, so only the grip is visible, is that considered unconcealed enough? Or will the entire holster have to be OWB?

Thanks

Link Posted: 8/23/2010 8:27:10 PM EDT
[#1]
You will have to open carry to be legal.

I don't think it is legal to CC without permit even outside of a city.

You should be ale to have it loaded in the car, glovebox, under seat, etc without permit. Don't have it concealed on your person in the car without a permit.

I've open carried occasionally, although rarely. Never had any trouble although I didn't do it in yellowstone. Not sure how it would go down there, but I'd definitely do it before I went unarmed if I didn't have a CC permit.

Link Posted: 8/24/2010 8:10:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I thought I read somewhere that you could carry concealed in WY without a CCW as long as you were not inside the limits of any city, but I haven't seen this confirmed. Is this correct, or will I be unable to carry concealed anywhere in WY?

What kind of reaction should I expect if I open carry in Yellowstone? I'm not used to OC, even though it's legal here in WA (I never see it in Seattle).

I believe you are thinking of Idaho.  Wyoming law requires you to have a valid CCW (and state issued photo ID) to legally carry a concealed handgun.  

It is legal to open carry in Wyoming and I have seen people do it.  But it is not common and may cause you to receive more adverse attention than you want.

Good luck

Link Posted: 8/24/2010 10:49:34 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I believe you are thinking of Idaho.  Wyoming law requires you to have a valid CCW (and state issued photo ID) to legally carry a concealed handgun.  

It is legal to open carry in Wyoming and I have seen people do it.  But it is not common and may cause you to receive more adverse attention than you want.

Good luck

I open carry at times just to throw the tourists off.

The only problem you will have will be with people not from Wyoming (which will be 99% of Yellowstone right now)...most locals will not care and the sight of a gun does not bother them.

Link Posted: 8/24/2010 8:00:35 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I open carry at times just to throw the tourists off.

The only problem you will have will be with people not from Wyoming (which will be 99% of Yellowstone right now)...most locals will not care and the sight of a gun does not bother them.

We usually get a couple of calls each summer from tourists saying that someone with a gun is downtown or in front of their house with guns in plain sight.  Fun stuff.

Link Posted: 8/25/2010 4:27:18 PM EDT
[#5]
We came really close to the universal ccw this past session, but that wouldn't have helped you, as it would have been for residents, not tourists.  

Open carry is no big deal most places, though liquor establishments will occasionally ask you to check your weapon to remain inside.  Just be careful because some jurisdictions have ordinances against ostentatious display.
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 3:31:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Open carry is legal statewide, with NO allowances for local ordinances to override that. In other words, even if you live in Jackson, and have to deal with an asshole for a cop, open carry is legal regardless of what he THINKS to the contrary. Period, end of story.

Yellowstone is a National Park, so the feds DO overrule Wyoming's rule there.

Concealed carry is legal, statewide, only with a permit. You CAN open carry in a bar, but concealed carry, even with a permit, is illegal. It's poor judgement to open carry, even in smaller towns, in the bars, unless you are a well-known and -liked local, because some dumbshit tourist will start shit with you, just because he can.

Depending on where you are in the state, open carry is actually pretty common in some areas. Crook and Weston Counties both have a LOT of people, both townies and ranch-working cowboys, who open carry 24/7. Sublette County, and other less tourist-centric areas as well. Anywhere there are still a LOT of working ranches, you'll see quite a few guys open carry, although Glocks and XDs may be pretty rare (I've seen lots of the de riguer SA revolvers, and more than a few 1911s).

When I moved back into the state, I sat down with a local attorney, then walked in and visited with the county sheriff for over an hour to discuss this. Both gave me this information, almost verbatim.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 11:29:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Alright then. Thanks guys. I'll be open carrying in Yellowstone. I'll let y'all know how it went when I get back.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 1:33:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Open Carry Jackson/Teton
You may not think of this until it happens........................ and you do not want this
Every dip s..t with a camera will be taking your picture
Nat Parks, every building is off limits, outdoors is legal.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:14:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Open carry is legal statewide, with NO allowances for local ordinances to override that. In other words, even if you live in Jackson, and have to deal with an asshole for a cop, open carry is legal regardless of what he THINKS to the contrary. Period, end of story.

Concealed carry is legal, statewide, only with a permit. You CAN open carry in a bar, but concealed carry, even with a permit, is illegal. It's poor judgement to open carry, even in smaller towns, in the bars, unless you are a well-known and -liked local, because some dumbshit tourist will start shit with you, just because he can.

Depending on where you are in the state, open carry is actually pretty common in some areas. Crook and Weston Counties both have a LOT of people, both townies and ranch-working cowboys, who open carry 24/7. Sublette County, and other less tourist-centric areas as well. Anywhere there are still a LOT of working ranches, you'll see quite a few guys open carry, although Glocks and XDs may be pretty rare (I've seen lots of the de riguer SA revolvers, and more than a few 1911s).

When I moved back into the state, I sat down with a local attorney, then walked in and visited with the county sheriff for over an hour to discuss this. Both gave me this information, almost verbatim.

Open carry in a privately owned establishment who's owner doesn't want open carry in his place of business and see how far you get with the local cops.

Ostentatious display and open carry, while on the surface the same thing to some, aren't the same thing.  Flash that hogleg and smart off to a Laramie cop, for instance, and see what happens. (Laramie, in Albany county, one of two blue counties in the state)

As for what sorts of pistols are carried, I haven't seen a revolver on anybody's hip outside of Frontier Days in ten years.  Glocks, Sigs, S&Ws, the odd 1911.  

But, hell, don't pay no mind to me, I just live here.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 11:42:31 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Open carry in a privately owned establishment who's owner doesn't want open carry in his place of business and see how far you get with the local cops.

Ostentatious display and open carry, while on the surface the same thing to some, aren't the same thing.  Flash that hogleg and smart off to a Laramie cop, for instance, and see what happens. (Laramie, in Albany county, one of two blue counties in the state)

As for what sorts of pistols are carried, I haven't seen a revolver on anybody's hip outside of Frontier Days in ten years.  Glocks, Sigs, S&Ws, the odd 1911.  

But, hell, don't pay no mind to me, I just live here.
I think I know who your talking about.  

Page Hometown » Utah
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top