Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Utah
Posted: 7/30/2010 9:43:02 AM EDT
Although I understand it is good for the economy, and all, and I have met some interesting people, I always look forward to the end of tourist season.
Living in a small town that sits on the gateway to the Black Hills really hits a nerve this time of the year, and I realize how selfish and rude many of my fellow human beings have become.  If it isn't riding my ass while I drive 60 miles home from work, it's treating the local waitresses like shit at one of our few restaurants, or walking in the middle of the street taking pictures of our "Quaint little town that represents past Americana...".
When the Speed Limit sign says 30 mph coming into town, it isn't an invitation to see if our hick town has somehow discovered that objects can be tracked using radio waves or light beams...it is because our children can roam as they please in a small town.
When our family waits in line behind dozens of other tourists to get an ice cream cone, it isn't okay for you to cut in line because you have a long trip ahead of you.
Our waitresses, and other locals, are not put there to be the target of your frustration because your bratty ass kids have been driving you nuts since Denver.
Driving a Harley to Sturgis does not make you bad assed enough to prevent you from having your ass kicked by myself because you said inappropriate things to my wife while at the gas station.
I seriously cannot wait until Hunting Season, when all of the idiots leave.

Link Posted: 7/30/2010 12:06:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I feel your ire. Though not a resident of WY, I've been working there the past few months... I have to deal with these A-holes on a daily basis as I live in an upscale hotel right off of I-25. The worst are the middle-aged motorcyclists who have sturgis on their mind
Link Posted: 7/30/2010 12:19:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Know what you're talking about, we just some of the same doffuses here for Evel Kenevel days.
Link Posted: 8/2/2010 6:38:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Just went through frontier days here. City of 50,000 becomes close to 400,000. I didn't leave my house unless it was early AM.
Link Posted: 8/2/2010 7:22:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I will be coming through this weekend and will try and remember all your rules.
Link Posted: 8/3/2010 6:24:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Hunting season will just bring a different batch of idiots
Link Posted: 8/3/2010 7:02:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

If being a decent person turns you off, find another route.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/3/2010 8:32:05 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm respectful, my friends are respectful, one thing we are not is judgmental.

See ya Saturday....

Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/4/2010 5:55:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'm respectful, my friends are respectful, one thing we are not is judgmental.

See ya Saturday....

Quoted:
Quoted:

In that case, the original post doesn't apply to you and your friends.

Have a nice vacation.

Link Posted: 8/5/2010 8:14:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Hehe, I'm heading to the Black Hills next month. However, we should be staying mostly on the SD side, except for a jaunt out to Devil's Tower.
Link Posted: 8/17/2010 4:17:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Although I understand it is good for the economy, and all, and I have met some interesting people, I always look forward to the end of tourist season.

Living in a small town that sits on the gateway to the Black Hills really hits a nerve this time of the year, and I realize how selfish and rude many of my fellow human beings have become.  If it isn't riding my ass while I drive 60 miles home from work, it's treating the local waitresses like shit at one of our few restaurants, or walking in the middle of the street taking pictures of our "Quaint little town that represents past Americana...".

When the Speed Limit sign says 30 mph coming into town, it isn't an invitation to see if our hick town has somehow discovered that objects can be tracked using radio waves or light beams...it is because our children can roam as they please in a small town.

When our family waits in line behind dozens of other tourists to get an ice cream cone, it isn't okay for you to cut in line because you have a long trip ahead of you.

Our waitresses, and other locals, are not put there to be the target of your frustration because your bratty ass kids have been driving you nuts since Denver.

Driving a Harley to Sturgis does not make you bad assed enough to prevent you from having your ass kicked by myself because you said inappropriate things to my wife while at the gas station.

Amen brother, I am lucky enough to be in the way of tourists getting to Yellowstone . I spend the winter wishing away the snow, only to remember that summer brings the tourists to my small town.

Unfortunately we still have plenty of out of state hunters around here, so I have to wait a bit longer.
Link Posted: 8/18/2010 12:23:20 PM EDT
[#11]
It is no different in Maine guys!  We get all the Massholes and other idiots from southern New England coming to look at our fricking lighthouses and stay in their lake homes.  One time at the local hardware store in our "one horse town", this asshole brings a pickaxe up to the counter and starts bugging the cashier because he thinks he should get a discount cause there is a scratch on the handle.  ARE YOU SERIOUS?????  I was 2 seconds away from saying, "Dude, why don't you get in your yuppy car and waste 2 hrs driving and gas and get the damn pickaxe at Home Depot if you are so concerned with the scratch, which you will obviously add to when you HAMMER THAT THING INTO THE GROUND IN 20 MINUTES!!!!"

Then when the summer jerks leave, the hunters come and think they own the place.  Joy.  We were just in Yellowstone actually.  Came into Salt Lake City, up through Grand Tetons, then out West gate when we were done, down through Idaho and back to SLC.  I'll tell ya, you people out there are super nice and we made sure ya'll knew it!  One thing I noticed is that you give free refills on drinks without even being asked!  That was cool!  Up here, wait staff have phone poles up their asses and think they deserve a tip just because.  Out there you earn good tips and always had a smile on and were just decent people.  Even the guy in whatever town that was south of Idaho Falls where we stopped at the UPS Store to ship a package was great.  Just good people.  Maybe we get along because we are rural folk too and we understand the tourist dilemma like you have.  Not sure.  The good thing is that most of the idiots that come up here are yuppy twits not big burly Harley brutes, so you can intimidate them a bit easier before you gotta kick their ass.  HAHAHAHA!!!

Thanks for a great visit to your part of the country.  We greatly appreciated your hospitality!!

Link Posted: 8/18/2010 3:01:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Amen brother, I am lucky enough to be in the way of tourists getting to Yellowstone . I spend the winter wishing away the snow, only to remember that summer brings the tourists to my small town.

Unfortunately we still have plenty of out of state hunters around here, so I have to wait a bit longer.

my trip was almost to yellowstone.......

but the tour dates were closed for when I could go, I'll get ya next year.........
Link Posted: 8/18/2010 4:05:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Just went through frontier days here. City of 50,000 becomes close to 400,000. I didn't leave my house unless it was early AM.

Took my Son camping that first weekend of CFD to get out of town. It's not that I don't like CFD; it's that I dislike people and crowds in general. So anyway, we then had to put up with being surrounded by Coloradans up at Curt Gowdy...should have boon-docked it up around Pole Mountain or up in the Snowy Range.

Link Posted: 8/19/2010 6:00:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Just imagine how those poor pricks in Stugis, Spearfish and Deadwood feel.
Link Posted: 8/19/2010 5:44:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

most of them I've talked to just leave for the week or two weeks
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 7:27:21 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep...a buddy of mine, that lives in Sturgis, just stays with friends in WY, then goes home a week later and cleans all of the crap left in his yard.

Link Posted: 8/20/2010 9:38:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep...a buddy of mine, that lives in Sturgis, just stays with friends in WY, then goes home a week later and cleans all of the crap left in his yard.

If they do that I would suspect they could rent thier houses for a small fortune.
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 3:18:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If they do that I would suspect they could rent thier houses for a small fortune.

He does...- think he got $2500 for the week this year.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 4:05:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Amen Brother...

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:20:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Next weekend brings the joy of grown men in spandex riding bicycles.
http://www.lotojaclassic.com/

It combines 3 of my favorite things, tourists, tourists from Utah and bicycle riders
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:09:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Amen Brother...

The out of state hunters are usually well mannered though......
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:07:29 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Amen Brother...

The out of state hunters are usually well mannered though......

Kind of.

I have had my share of run-ins with out-of-staters, though, most of them are usually nice.  My first run in with an out-of-stater was a guy from Michigan trying to squat on an elk that I had hid my tag in.  On the second trip in, he was there, taking the best of the remaining meat (I had packed out the horns, tenderloin and backstrap).  I called the local Sherriff, and told him to get out there with a Game Warden.  The guy was ticketed, and went home empty handed.  I know that you pay dearly for those out-of-state tags, the time off from work, plus travel expenses and deserve an elk more than I do because I live here, but, I mean, come on man.

Most of them, though, are no better or worse than the locals, they just get lost easier and put themselves into difficult situations faster.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:56:52 AM EDT
[#23]
I've been pretty lucky with out of state hunters, all of them have been good people so far. But your story is one of many I've heard like it.

In all honesty,as a general rule,I'd rather have out of staters in my elk area as opposed to the assclowns that I have met from a certain town across the mountain.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 9:31:09 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I've been pretty lucky with out of state hunters, all of them have been good people so far. But your story is one of many I've heard like it.

In all honesty,as a general rule,I'd rather have out of staters in my elk area as opposed to the assclowns that I have met from a certain town across the mountain.

My guess, in order of assclowns per capita, would be:

1.  Gillette (CCCS)

2.  Cheyenne

3.  Casper

Did I get it?  

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:49:53 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Quoted:

My guess, in order of assclowns per capita, would be:

1.  Gillette (CCCS)
2.  Cheyenne
3.  Casper

Did I get it?  

I can neither confirm nor deny the amazing accuracy of that guess................
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 9:53:08 AM EDT
[#26]
I have to agree with all of you. Though I must say, without tourists, I wouldn't have a job. they are a love-hate thing.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:31:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Being the last stop before Yellowstone brings a ton of people to our town of 8k.  There have been an extreme increase in mid-life crisis bikers.  Personally, I just don't like the traffic.  They all drive like morons and turn my daily commute into a traffic jam.  Although, like others have said, without them my town would die.

If they call it a tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Page Hometown » Utah
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top