Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Utah
Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2010 7:46:33 AM EDT
I am looking for a suggestion on a place to move to. My wife and I are looking at moving  with our 3 children. We are looking for an area that is closed to outdoor activities (fishing, fly-fishing, upland bird hunting, deer hunting) but still "big town" enough for good shopping, work, and medical care. I like snow in the winter (asking too much?) and myself and my youngest have severe allergies to desert plants. I also do not tolerate high humidity well due to my asthma.
I am currently working toward my degree in IT and should be a certified PC repair soon. My wife is a phlebotomist, and is working on her Criminal Justice Degree but does not want to be a cop.
I am concerned with the economy, anywhere still prosperous?

Any help or suggestions?
Thanks
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 9:36:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
1: We are looking for an area that is closed to outdoor activities (fishing, fly-fishing, upland bird hunting, deer hunting) but still "big town" enough for good shopping, work, and medical care.

Cheyenne, Casper, maybe even some of the smaller towns like Laramie and Douglas would fit that bill. But one thing to understand; sometimes you may have to drive a little ways to reach some of the more remote, less traveled areas. All of these places have what you asked for within a half hour drive, or even inside or right outside of town. Cheyenne has a few lakes in town that are a decent fishing spot for an hour or so after a hard days work.

2: I like snow in the winter (asking too much?) and myself and my youngest have severe allergies to desert plants.

Well, Wyoming has snow, and winter lasts a long time. Desert plants? not sure, but we do have a small cactus that is in some areas on the prairie, and sage brush. The cactus can be a pain, literally, when shooting from a prone or kneeling position without some kind of pad. It is very small and sometimes you don't see it when laying or kneeling.

3:I also do not tolerate high humidity well due to my asthma.

What's humidity? Wyoming has an average altitude of around 6700', the lowest point is around 3000, with the highest being around 13800'...not sure if that would affect your asthma.
BTW...I hate humidity also.

4: I am currently working toward my degree in IT and should be a certified PC repair soon. My wife is a phlebotomist, and is working on her Criminal Justice Degree but does not want to be a cop.
I am concerned with the economy, anywhere still prosperous?

Can't really help you with jobs. I have been employed by my current employer (USAF) for 21+ years, but I will be looking for a job in the next year for when I retire.

Personally I love Wyoming. Even though I live in the biggest city in the state with a population around 60K, it is still small compared to places like Denver, Fort Collins, Salt Lake, etc. I love the lack of people, and traffic jams. I always regret letting my wife talk me into going down to the Denver area. I love the outdoors; fishing, hiking, camping, hunting, and the best outdoor activity...shooting. Wyoming is a very gun-friendly state.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 1:01:58 PM EDT
[#2]
You just described various areas in all of the Rocky Mountain HTF states. You'll need to be more specific. How much snow in a winter, how big a town/city, how many ammenities, specific sports you'd participate in.
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 8:20:18 AM EDT
[#3]
http://www.casperwyoming.info/

We've got everything you mentioned and a bunch more.

Page Hometown » Utah
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top