Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Utah
Site Notices
Posted: 7/29/2009 9:21:48 AM EDT
i was out of town for an extended amount of time, but i'm back now. i've heard that there has been some semi-recent legislation making it legal to conceal carry in your automobile if you don't have a CCW. that part i'm not really concerned about (though i think it's a good thing) since i've got a CCW - but i heard that you can also carry a loaded rifle in your car as well. is this true? anyone have any links talking about this stuff?

thanks!
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 12:40:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Loaded pistol is good to go loaded rifle, shotgun or muzzleloader is NOT good to go.

76-10-505.   Carrying loaded firearm in vehicle or on street.
    (1) Unless otherwise authorized by law, a person may not carry a loaded firearm:
    (a) in or on a vehicle, unless:
    (i) the vehicle is in the person's lawful possession; or
    (ii) the person is carrying the loaded firearm in a vehicle with the consent of the person lawfully in possession of the vehicle;
    (b) on a public street; or
    (c) in a posted prohibited area.
    (2) Subsection (1)(a) does not apply to a minor under 18 years of age, since a minor under 18 years of age may not carry a loaded firearm in or on a vehicle.
    (3) Notwithstanding Subsection (1)(a)(i) and (ii), a person may not possess a loaded rifle, shotgun, or muzzle-loading rifle in a vehicle.
    (4) A violation of this section is a class B misdemeanor.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 12:52:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I believe that the utah definition of unloaded is an empty chamber, a mag or tube can be full.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 8:51:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Gibbles yes that is correct, Unloaded by Utah's definition is two actions to fire and no rounds in the firing position.
But due to the recent change of the law you can have a fully loaded pistol in your vehicle.

Example semi auto rifle full mag but none in chamber (racking the bolt and squeezing the trigger are your two actions.)
Double action revolver chamber under hammer empty as well as the next chamber. (squeeze trigger twice to discharge)
Single action revolver chamber under hammer empty (cocking the hammer and squeezing the trigger)
ect.....
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 9:07:40 PM EDT
[#4]
For those planning on doing this I would suggest the following:

Print a copy of the bill and keep it in your vehicle.

If you get pulled over, tell the officer,"I have a LEGAL firearm in the vehicle."

If you don't tell the officer and they find out by it say, falling out of you glove box when you get your registration, they will take "defensive measures" against you.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 8:06:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If you get pulled over, tell the officer,"I have a LEGAL firearm in the vehicle."
If you don't tell the officer and they find out by it say, falling out of you glove box when you get your registration, they will take "defensive measures" against you.

I hold the opposite opinion.  It is none of the cop's business what I have in my car.  The more he knows, the more reasons he has to be oppressive.  Invoke the 5th.  

Quoted:
Loaded pistol is good to go loaded rifle, shotgun or muzzleloader is NOT good to go.

(3) Notwithstanding Subsection (1)(a)(i) and (ii), a person may not possess a loaded rifle, shotgun, or muzzle-loading rifle in a vehicle.

This is only a violation for non-permit holders.  Anyone with a permit from any state may possess a loaded long arm in their vehicle.

76-10-523.   Persons exempt from weapons laws.
    (1) This part and Title 53, Chapter 5, Part 7, Concealed Weapon Act, do not apply to any of the following:
    (a) a United States marshal;
    (b) a federal official required to carry a firearm;
    (c) a peace officer of this or any other jurisdiction;
    (d) a law enforcement official as defined and qualified under Section 53-5-711;
    (e) a judge as defined and qualified under Section 53-5-711;
    (f) a common carrier while engaged in the regular and ordinary transport of firearms as merchandise; or
    (g) a nonresident traveling in or through the state, provided that any firearm is:
    (i) unloaded; and
    (ii) securely encased as defined in Section 76-10-501.
    (2) The provisions of Subsections 76-10-504(1) and (2), and Section 76-10-505 do not apply to any person to whom a permit to carry a concealed firearm has been issued:    
    (a) pursuant to Section 53-5-704; or
    (b) by another state or county.

Link Posted: 8/1/2009 10:56:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Thank you for clearing that up SGT Jensen

I will let the officer know that I have a CCW permit and where my Carry weapon is, but anything beyond that is nobodys business.

So far I have had 0 issues with law enforcement, all have been very polite and very professional, I even got a ride into town once and the officer put me in the passenger seat and never made me disarm.

Link Posted: 8/1/2009 1:37:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hold the opposite opinion.  It is none of the cop's business what I have in my car.  The more he knows, the more reasons he has to be oppressive.  Invoke the 5th.  

Quoted:

This is only a violation for non-permit holders.  Anyone with a permit from any state may possess a loaded long arm in their vehicle.

76-10-523.   Persons exempt from weapons laws.
    (1) This part and Title 53, Chapter 5, Part 7, Concealed Weapon Act, do not apply to any of the following:
    (a) a United States marshal;
    (b) a federal official required to carry a firearm;
    (c) a peace officer of this or any other jurisdiction;
    (d) a law enforcement official as defined and qualified under Section 53-5-711;
    (e) a judge as defined and qualified under Section 53-5-711;
    (f) a common carrier while engaged in the regular and ordinary transport of firearms as merchandise; or
    (g) a nonresident traveling in or through the state, provided that any firearm is:
    (i) unloaded; and
    (ii) securely encased as defined in Section 76-10-501.
    (2) The provisions of Subsections 76-10-504(1) and (2), and Section 76-10-505 do not apply to any person to whom a permit to carry a concealed firearm has been issued:    
    (a) pursuant to Section 53-5-704; or
    (b) by another state or county.

I overlooked that the op has a CCW. With that yes any firearm can be in the vehicle and fully loaded. What I find interesting it that under that law anyone with a CCW even if obtained from a state that utah doesn't honor as a CCW they can still carry a loaded long arm in their vehicle
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 4:18:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
What I find interesting it that under that law anyone with a CCW even if obtained from a state that utah doesn't honor as a CCW they can still carry a loaded long arm in their vehicle

Utah honors all permits, regardless of the State or County in which it was issued.  In Utah, an out of state permit exempts one from the same laws as a Utah permit would.  There is no difference.

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 4:50:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
What I find interesting it that under that law anyone with a CCW even if obtained from a state that utah doesn't honor as a CCW they can still carry a loaded long arm in their vehicle

Utah honors all permits, regardless of the State or County in which it was issued.  In Utah, an out of state permit exempts one from the same laws as a Utah permit would.  There is no difference.

I love Utah.
Page Hometown » Utah
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top