Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Utah
Site Notices
Posted: 3/30/2009 5:18:06 PM EDT
I normally wouldn't go out of my way to "bash" a store but I felt this is deserved.

I'm new to the world of ARs, I know that and I expect to get a small amount of shit as a newbie and that's fine.

I recently went into "Get Some" Guns and Ammo and was treated like a complete moron for asking some simple questions and getting some clarification on different things I was curious about.
Whatever, no big deal.

The reason I have kept going back is that they do have a pretty impressive inventory for AR gear.

Then I bought a flip up rear iron sight from them for 140.00. I went to Doug's Shootin Sports that same night to plink with my .22s with some friends.

I saw the exact same rear site for 79.99.

It's the last time I'll be going to get some, that's for sure.
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 7:17:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I normally wouldn't go out of my way to "bash" a store but I felt this is deserved.

I'm new to the world of ARs, I know that and I expect to get a small amount of shit as a newbie and that's fine.

I recently went into "Get Some" Guns and Ammo and was treated like a complete moron for asking some simple questions and getting some clarification on different things I was curious about.
Whatever, no big deal.

The reason I have kept going back is that they do have a pretty impressive inventory for AR gear.

Then I bought a flip up rear iron sight from them for 140.00. I went to Doug's Shootin Sports that same night to plink with my .22s with some friends.

I saw the exact same rear site for 79.99.

It's the last time I'll be going to get some, that's for sure.

I was not impressed there.

I hate to say it, but I have yet to find a store in SL that I thought was wow, now this is a store I want to shop at.

btw, what were you looking for.

Link Posted: 3/30/2009 10:19:01 PM EDT
[#2]
The store is sexy, but the guys that work there are lame. I like their range.

FBMG has much cooler staff and they have a new range being built. Guess where I will be going?
Link Posted: 3/31/2009 5:13:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The store is sexy, but the guys that work there are lame. I like their range.

FBMG has much cooler staff and they have a new range being built. Guess where I will be going?

FBMG - folks there were nice but it was pretty bare.  I guess the new range is going to be in the back?
Link Posted: 3/31/2009 12:50:12 PM EDT
[#4]
So far, the two best dealer's/gunsmiths I've been in are FBMG and Doug's. The staff at both those places more than makes up for lack of selection on AR stuff, especially Doug's.
The guys there are always willing to make sure you understand what you're getting before you throw down your cash for something.

I really do wish there was a store in SL, or UT for that matter, that had a great selection of AR equipment and the staff aren't douches.
Link Posted: 3/31/2009 2:11:01 PM EDT
[#5]
My experience with most of  the shops has always been hit and miss, you have to factor in peoples moods and the cold season...
I bought my G19 recently from Getsome, and I the guy I dealt with was one that was looking for a job at a gun store on here a little while back, normally he is a great guy to deal with, but he seemed grumpy that day... I tried my best to cheer him up as I filled out the paper work.
If I had not had postive experiences with him before hand I woulda gotten a little ass hurt.

And there is a gun store just a block or two south of getsome, next to a piano store, that guy is great to deal with, prices are a little on the high side but not to bad.

and Dougs,
I like it there, I perfer deal with Dave if I can; a very serious guy but he is awesome.
I have spent thousands of dollars there over the past few years...
Their range needs some better ventilation, I always leave that place caughing up soot.

Link Posted: 3/31/2009 2:21:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Oh yeah, some dealers have been jacking up prices due to the new pres... *Cough Impact Cough*

Dougs has not changed their prices from what I have seen
Link Posted: 4/10/2009 7:09:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Doug's hasn't jacked up the prices, they wanted $30 for that one AK74 mag they have, before the election. I wonder if anyone ever bought that.
I still shop there though. Gallensons has some deals from time to time.

As far as Class 3 stuff, "Get some" has been the best so far for me. At least one guy there (can't remember his name) really knows his stuff. At "Impact" I could never find someone that knew what they were talking about. The Ogden store told me "Yeah... the C3 guy only comes in on Wednesdays"

I'm going to try FBMG for my next transfer, we'll see how that goes.

Oh yeah, I have to tell you about the guy at "Sportsman's" I overheard telling a customer that the .40 S&W clocked in at 2000 fps. I told him he was out of his tree. Later I saw him going through a loading manual, I thing he was checking his facts.
Link Posted: 4/12/2009 9:31:32 AM EDT
[#8]
I have bought some stuff from "Get Some" and I understand what you all are saying about their arrogance.  For me, Gunnies and VanWagenens are the two best (Non class 3) gun stores in Utah.  They are down in Orem.  VanWagenens prices are rediculously low compared to others.  He has non-windowned pmags for 15$ in stock.  Their firearms are very well priced as well.  

John
Link Posted: 4/12/2009 10:24:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Doug's hasn't jacked up the prices, they wanted $30 for that one AK74 mag they have, before the election. I wonder if anyone ever bought that.
I still shop there though. Gallensons has some deals from time to time.

As far as Class 3 stuff, "Get some" has been the best so far for me. At least one guy there (can't remember his name) really knows his stuff. At "Impact" I could never find someone that knew what they were talking about. The Ogden store told me "Yeah... the C3 guy only comes in on Wednesdays"

I'm going to try FBMG for my next transfer, we'll see how that goes.

Oh yeah, I have to tell you about the guy at "Sportsman's" I overheard telling a customer that the .40 S&W clocked in at 2000 fps. I told him he was out of his tree. Later I saw him going through a loading manual, I thing he was checking his facts.

Yeah for being a Pawn Shop VanWagners is pretty awesome, anybody else been to rangemasters in Springville?
Link Posted: 4/12/2009 1:28:37 PM EDT
[#10]
VanWagners is still around? Last time I was there was about 10yrs ago, he was trying to sell the place. They use to have a lot of cool stuff there.
+1 on Gunnies.
Never heard of the other one, thou I am a ways north of there.
Link Posted: 4/13/2009 10:38:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Yea I will not be going back to Get Some Guns. They charged me $45 for a gun transfer. When I balked he basically told me tough shit. I said I guess i wont be coming back here and he said oh well. Everyone else btw is $20-$25 for a transfer. As far as I am concerned, they are concerned with maximum extraction of their customers cash and not long term relationships. They can shove it. BTW I have probably spent $5k in the past couple months on gun shit. I guess I am just small potatoes to them.
Link Posted: 4/13/2009 10:39:23 AM EDT
[#12]
BTW you should change the title to Get Some Guns review so people can see them.
Link Posted: 4/13/2009 10:56:46 AM EDT
[#13]
^^^^^^^^^^^^
Wow.. Let me revise my previous statement about "Get Some".

While I did get a good deal on my suppressor and that one guy helped me a lot. I did notice that everything else that I looked at, be it AR parts, ammo and magazines were WAY over priced.
Link Posted: 4/13/2009 11:01:47 AM EDT
[#14]
I only buy from Doug's now.  I bought my first AR from Get Some and I agree with the other comments that the store and range is nice but the staff are a bunch of dicks.  I'm not quite sure why they think arrogance and attitdue is a pleasant response to firearms questions.  I wont ever go back there.  Doug's used to have a small selection of AR's and other tactical rifles but I have noticed recently that they are getting quite a few more options in this regard.  They are a major retailer of the Robinson Arms XCR and always have a bunch in stock.  They also have a good selection of high end AR's as well as less expensive AR's and AK's.  I like Gallenson's too but their selection is more in line with hunters needs imo, they are really the only place around to buy high end shotguns other than Cabela's.
Link Posted: 4/13/2009 1:36:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
VanWagners is still around? Last time I was there was about 10yrs ago, he was trying to sell the place. They use to have a lot of cool stuff there.
+1 on Gunnies.

Yeah old Vanwagners is still around they are in Orem off of state street I am not sure where they use to be if anywhere. Rangemaster of Springville is not a bad little place, they have an indoor range and a few of there lanes are interactive shooting or whatever where it is basically a projected onto the screen, or atleast they use to. It is a small little shop but it is all we really have on the south end of Utah County as far as a gun shop.

ETA you can google Rangemasters of Utah and take a virtual tour.
Link Posted: 4/15/2009 10:43:10 PM EDT
[#16]
I dropped by FBMG today for some reactive targets (local made tannerite) and a rifle case, they were great and I like the new store lay out.

And I was happy to see them carrying Glocks finally!

And I will be back for more cases, I need a bunch... moving sucks
Link Posted: 4/17/2009 6:47:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Sorry you guys have had such a bad experience at Getsome.  That happens to be my most favorite store.  I've been going there since way before they moved to their newer location and maybe because I know the people in there I have much better experiences.  Maybe you should notice how busy they are... it may not be the best customer service, but they are there to sell products and not bull shit with customers.  FBMG is good for bull shitting, but they never have anything to buy and I've had some very bad experiences there too (I still shop there because I like to support the local gun shops).  As far as Doug's goes, they may be a bit cheaper too, but I've had just as many dick heads only interested in getting my money there as well.  If you have a bad experience it is probably because you went in looking for guys to kiss your ass or have the deal of a life time.  It is called a business and they even though some of their prices are high, I've had some great deals there too.  A business is a business and GetSome is doing a great job in my book.  At least that's the experience I've had there.
Link Posted: 4/18/2009 6:11:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/18/2009 6:46:07 AM EDT
[#19]
medicinman I believe your run down of the stores is a good one.  What I mean is that it seems like guys think they should be catered to hand and foot and with how busy it has been with all the recent gun hype, everyone should be glad they can drive 15 min in any direction and get service of any kind at all.  I was at Cabellas last week and it took (not joking) 35 minutes for them to call my number so that I could ask them a simple question.  It isn't that shops want bad customer service, it is just they don't have a lot of time to spend with each customer.  Getsome is a great store if you go in without looking for a bad experience.  I still shop at Impact as well... I just go in with the attitude that they will probably not be as helpful of service as I would get in another store.  I just think people need to stop bitching and be glad we have some stores we can shop at locally and we don't live in a place like CA or IL.
Link Posted: 4/18/2009 8:13:25 AM EDT
[#20]
I think that "Mike" guy is the one who helped me with my C3 purchase at Get Some. Very good experience with him, he answered all my ?s(and they were very busy at the time) and made sure I knew everything that I was suppose to have before sending paper work to the BATF. They also called me as soon as the paper work came back which is something I have heard horror stories about other stores in the area.
Link Posted: 4/18/2009 10:02:57 AM EDT
[#21]
I tend to agree with the bulk of what medicine man said.  I gave FBMG a shot, they were friendly, but they are pretty threadbare when it comes to any black rifle parts, and for that matter most inventory... I had high hopes, but they just didn't have anything I was looking for... spare pins / springs or otherwise.  I pretty much have yet to step into a local store where the folks provide consistent friendly service.  I've purchased from Get Some, and had the same hit and miss with the sales people... but lately the attitude I get from them is if it isn't on their shelves, you can't get it from anywhere including the net... (PRI gas buster or mil spec carbine buffer tube)  and as all of you know, after a bit of careful net research, you can get what your looking for at a fair price within 24 hours... (except for Magpul UBRs lol)  If folks were just honest rather than arrogant and didn't give us excuses, it would go a long way to attracting and keeping customers.  I had some old grumpy clown at Gallensons try and tell me that you cannot use 75gr or 77gr projectiles in an AR regardless of twist rate because they wouldn't feed and that 55grain was my only option.  At that point, it wasn't even worth arguing with the guy.

I have my heart set on buying a Sig Blackwater Tactical and have had a hell of a time finding one locally.  All I can find is the older model and the stores have been unwilling to even consider contacting Sig or doing a special order.  

What happened to the days when spending money at a store got you fair, intelligent and courteous treatment?

Link Posted: 4/18/2009 11:38:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
What happened to the days when spending money at a store got you fair, intelligent and courteous treatment?

The difference is that in this current market, we the customer are competing for the store's business because of demand, not the other way around which was the norm
Link Posted: 4/18/2009 3:03:59 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The difference is that in this current market, we the customer are competing for the store's business because of demand, not the other way around which was the norm

Sorry, but I'm willing to pay for service so I take my business elsewhere if I'm treated like dirt.  Just like eating out, I don't mind tipping more for service that deserves it.

Link Posted: 4/28/2009 11:45:07 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
So far, the two best dealer's/gunsmiths I've been in are FBMG and Doug's. The staff at both those places more than makes up for lack of selection on AR stuff, especially Doug's.
The guys there are always willing to make sure you understand what you're getting before you throw down your cash for something.

I really do wish there was a store in SL, or UT for that matter, that had a great selection of AR equipment and the staff aren't douches.

These two seem to go hand in hand, unfortunately. Guys that sell this stuff tend to be on the "tacticool" side.

Link Posted: 4/28/2009 6:26:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I have bought some stuff from "Get Some" and I understand what you all are saying about their arrogance.  For me, Gunnies and VanWagenens are the two best (Non class 3) gun stores in Utah.  They are down in Orem.  VanWagenens prices are rediculously low compared to others.  He has non-windowned pmags for 15$ in stock.  Their firearms are very well priced as well.  

John

Quoted:
+1 on Gunnies.

Thanks for the good praise on Gunnies guys.  I currently work there until I get deployed again.  If you ever need help down in Happy Valley (Utah County) come to Gunnies and ask for me, Bryan Hood, and I will help anyone out.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 3:04:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Impact Arms - I can be the only customer in the store but trying to get someone to answer some questions or pull a firearm out of the case is a joke.  Their staff are rude and not customer oriented.  Their prices are outrageous as well.

*snip*

Man, aint that the truth. I stopped shopping there because it is a ROYAL pain in the ass to get any help there at all. I swear the last time I was in there looking for a BCG and had been standing waiting at the AR counter for about 40 minutes. I even went and asked some of the reps for help at the AR counter and got 'Ok, it will be just a sec'. I wanted to wave my cash above my head and yell 'I HAVE MONEY TO SPEND ON THAT ITEM RIGHT THERE IF ANYONE WILL JUST COME AND GET IT FOR ME! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE LET ME SPEND MY HARD EARNED CASH HERE! PLEASE!'

Screw 'em.... I'll order online from our ARFCOM dealers now and not have to go through that kind of crap.

ETA: Oh and if ya didnt notice, if you look up a price on the web... the price in store is more then likely going to be different.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 7:13:35 AM EDT
[#27]
Man, if only these gun stores realized that their service does matter!!!!  

Good Customer Service = Good Business....

It isn't that hard.  There are many people that would give anything to be able to work at those places!!

Page Hometown » Utah
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top